Week 15 - Johnny's big day out

StefanAVFC

They know now that he can't take taunting...

As for the bat, it's interesting that the Giants apparently didn't notice it on game day (perhaps because pregame bats are not an uncommon thing in football).

No, they know now that he wont back down from a fight just like last year in St Louis against another Buddy Ryan disciple in Jeff Fisher.  He needs to channel the aggression better and the helmet to helmet wasnt good, but i understand it considering the threats and bodyslam etc without the officials calling anything.  Flag that play on Norman at the start and this never happens.

Coughlin and Eli have come to Beckham's defense as well as Deion Sanders and Jay Glazer.

What purpose could a football team have with a baseball bat in pre-game warmups?  What purpose could they have with a **** practice squad player walking around the field and waving around a bat?  Why does Josh Norman need to be near the Giants side of the field with a bat?

Josh Norman had Beckham 1on1 in man coverage once on Sunday.... the TD on 4th and 5.

One thing I think is lost on some fans is that players adopting opposing players' celebrations during a game isn't considered taunting. It may seem like that but it's a mark of respect and just a bit of fun most of the time. Odell dabbing seemed to make a few of their fans and players irate, but he's done it before with Dez (throwing up the X) and Gronk (Spike).

Edited by abdomlahor

I think if you saw the interaction between OBJ and Cam after the game it would be clear that there was nothing but respect between two great players.

Ray Lewis dance in Miami the week before.

Players dont like him because they cant stop him and hate his confidence.

Edited by kkr

Regarding the bat, it's funny that no Giants mentioned it on Sunday. Obviously they weren't taking it as a threat, or perhaps the Giants players and coaches have no idea what's going on on the field.

Then again, considering the terrible clock management, play calling, and late game meltdowns this season.

Coughlin saying that he had no clue Beckham was the one being flagged.

Referees are going to know that Beckham is capable of losing it; that's going to mean quicker flags and quicker ejections (look at Suh). Every DB in the league next season will be playing Josh Norman games against Odell in the hope of getting him to go crazy and get ejected. If you have a player you can't beat physically, but you can apparently make beat himself mentally/emotionally, then that's what you do.

A lot of great receivers are like that. Owens, Moss, Rice, they weren't angels on the field.

What he did was understandable, but not justifiable. But it doesn't define him. The idea that Josh Norman is the first player to try and get in his head is stupid. It's happened before, hasn't worked, yet it happens once and apparently it defines him. Just the typical overreaction to create a story out of a story.

That 4th down Touchdown was painful. What he did to Norman was absolute abuse. Change of speed, double move, he tried to foul him and couldn't. Monster.

Couple of things:

That bat has gone everywhere with the DBs this year.

Secondly, the NFL found OBJ was part of 14 incidents on Sunday and he instigated 12 of them.

I do wonder if the defence of OBJ's actions would be as firm if he were Rueben Randle or that big pussy Justin Pugh

Thought Norman did well against OBJ bar that early play where he dropped a nailed on TD. 4 receptions for 30 yards and a TD lining up across a top 3 WR for over 50 snaps isn't bad.

• Like 1

I mean as in trying to justify his actions by comparing them to what Norman did.

Kkr claiming "Norman got what he deserved" is pretty scandalous. Not sure anyone deserves to take a shot that could end their career, tbh.

4 hours ago, Milfner said:

Couple of things:

That bat has gone everywhere with the DBs this year.

Secondly, the NFL found OBJ was part of 14 incidents on Sunday and he instigated 12 of them.

I do wonder if the defence of OBJ's actions would be as firm if he were Rueben Randle or that big pussy Justin Pugh

Thought Norman did well against OBJ bar that early play where he dropped a nailed on TD. 4 receptions for 30 yards and a TD lining up across a top 3 WR for over 50 snaps isn't bad.

4 hours ago, Milfner said:

I mean as in trying to justify his actions by comparing them to what Norman did.

Kkr claiming "Norman got what he deserved" is pretty scandalous. Not sure anyone deserves to take a shot that could end their career, tbh.

Yes the laying wood BS.  What purpose does a bat have on a field being wielded by players and used to intimidate and threaten?  Is this the WWE?

Had Randle or Pugh been targeted by Norman and the Panthers then yes i would support them.  In Pugh's defense he has got better and played tougher since O'Hara called him and the oline soft so i wasnt the only one saying that, a Super Bowl winning lineman was too.

What about the homophobic slurs by the Panthers, any thoughts on that?  What about threatening to end Beckhams career and whatever else might have been said?

The helmet to helmet hit was too much, he shouldn't have done it, but all things considered Beckham beat down a bully, so i have no problem with the rest of what he did and Norman got what he deserved and then cried about it in the press afterwards like all bullies do.

Norman is a great zone corner.  He sits back in cover 3, in a great defense and does what he does really well.  As i said, the one time he was 1on1 with Beckham, man to man, he got owned.

What about the Steelers/Broncos game though, there was a hit just as bad if not worse.  Has anything been flagged for that?  Anyone suspended?  Probably not as the guy responsible isnt high profile enough to be made an example of. 

The player holding it was a practice squad safety, so no idea why he was even there/attempting to jaw with OBJ. I hope it's a one off, because it doesn't look good on us at all. (Rivera said earlier in his presser that the bat is no more anyway).

No real solid proof that anything has been said, but if it has then yeah it's bad, obviously. That said, a few (apparently) poorly chosen words do not justify OBJ's actions, especially when he suffered no dirty hits (I appreciate Norman throwing him to the ground didn't help things, but it was hardly malicious).

Norman was over by the Giants sideline with the bat too.

Beckham went too far with the helmet to helmet hit, anything else was ok or borderline personal foul.  Obviously lots of people never watched Hines Ward play/block.

Anything happen for the helmet to helmet hit in the Broncos Steelers game?  Hope not as that should aid Beckham in his appeal of the suspension.  Would love another shot at the Panthers in their own back yard after all this.  Giants obviously need a lot of help to get in, but you know the media would be hyping it and selling the game with footage of the 'outrageous' incidents from this past weekend.  Hypocrites.

Norman vs Beckham Breakdown

17 hours ago, Milfner said:

Fair enough.

I guess we'll never know what truly happened because it's going to be all he-said, she-said stuff. If it's true Normal was involved in the pre-game baiting, then I don't think he can really complain - whether he deserved what happened or not. You don't sit there poking a lion and then complain when he bites your hand off.

What I would like to see is video replay on certain "fouls" like they do in the NBA. People would complain it'd make games last longer, but they are quite rare and the scrum after the incident took time up too. The video officials could've easily looked at the footage and decided to boot Beckham from the game before they'd have even been ready to restart play. 

Week 17 will be a big test for Beckham. Going against the Eagles who always talk too much and a lot of eyes will be on his to see how he acts. Hopefully he just puts this nonsense behind him and do ALL his talking with his hands.

Couple of reports saying OBJ's suspension will be overturned. The NFL can't peddle the concussion stuff to the extent they have and only hand out a meaningless fine. Spineless stuff, tbh. (If true, of course)

Momentum building for some version of ejection for two personal fouls; if that goes in, it'll be known as the Odell Beckham Rule.

I would probably implement that rule as after two personal fouls, the replay official decides if the fouls were correctly called (the officials do mess up who did what) and if the totality calls for an ejection.

The Packers and Falcons are collateral damage in this. A Vikings loss is very helpful for them.

Seeing some discussion about what the Giants/Vikings point spread goes to, but I don't see much movement likely: you'd have to think that bettors were largely pricing no Beckham. My model will probably tell me to bet Giants on Sunday though...

Â