Malware removal

BOF

I've just inherited a mess of a laptop from a colleague which I need to clean.  Last time I needed to do something like this I used spyware doctor but I see that's not around any more, and anything I've tried to install (spyhunter, spyware clear) will find issues but not remove them without you upgrading to the premium.  Is there a go-to product at the moment which will remove mal/spyware straight from the free version?  Danke.

And that will remove stuff in the free version yeah? I looked at it and it seemed to be a 'free scanner' which is usually code for 'it'll find it but not fix it'.

I've just inherited a mess of a laptop from a colleague which I need to clean.  Last time I needed to do something like this I used spyware doctor but I see that's not around any more, and anything I've tried to install (spyhunter, spyware clear) will find issues but not remove them without you upgrading to the premium.  Is there a go-to product at the moment which will remove mal/spyware straight from the free version?  Danke.

Like Tegis says, Malwarebytes - I used it for someone and it worked well.

[Or you could pour strong bleach into the little square hole where the internet string goes in and kill all the special germs that way.]

• Like 2

I'd echo Malwarebytes but also suggest you run CCleaner afterwards as well  ... cleans up the temp files and registry amongst others and can help remove any legacy stuff

One other thing with Malwarebytes  , when it prompts for a reboot say no  ..otherwise it will reboot (obviously) but some of the more clever evil stuff knows to copy itself into resident memory and thus once you reboot it manifests itself again ...so say no to reboot and do a  shut down instead  and give it a few minutes before powering up again

• Like 2

Â