Samsung S4 Issue

omariqy

Hi all

My mrs has a Samsung S4 and she has kept it in mint condition since she has had it (just under 2 years and still in contract with Vodafone).  Never dropped it or damaged it in anyway.  It's suddenty stopped working and won't switch on at all.  I've checked the battery and it seems fine on other phones.  When I plug in the phone it won't charge.  I take the battery out and put it back in and it switches on briefly but turns off straight away.  Seems like this has happened to quite a few people with S4's.  My question is do I go back to Vodafone or Samsung to get this fixed?  I assume I have some rights given it is within 2 years and there is no damage to the phone?

Thanks

Omar

Sorry I didn't mean 2 years was a milestone or anything just the fact that shes had it for not that long.  I know with the sales of good act and it being an electronic product it should last a certain amount of time before breaking down!

Also, it's unlikely that they'll try to repair it, so have a think about how much compensation you'd settle for. Bear in mind it's had two years of use.

No credit card cover then :(

Vodafone will argue the toss and make out that it isn't their problem. If it's valuable enough to you then read through that page from Which? and see if you want to continue.

• 1 month later...

It should. It's absolutely reasonable to assume that  the device should last at least as long as the most common contract length.

The problem you have is that  for defects that occur after 6 months from the purchase date, it's for the consumer to prove that it was a fault inherent in the device that caused it to fail, rather than you mistreating it.

You can buy a new phone for that much. If you can show it's a common fault on this model and want to spend the time on it, then you have to work out what your time is worth. There are a number of decent handsets available at that price. Moto G, Xperia E4G

My s3 did similar. Buy an external charger for c.£20 and jobs a good in if you don't want to replace the phone. They normally come with a battery as well...so charge one use one.

sorry "insane chip" the early models (I had one) had a faulty memory chip that caused quite a lot of phone to act really really really slow, mine suffered sudden death syndrome

Ditto. They blamed it on water damage. I sent it to get a second opinion and it came back as exactly that - and not water damage. I will never ever buy Samsung again.

Â