Smoking ban.

fergie69

Smoking ban  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking ban

• Looking forward to a smoke free atmosphere
    • I want to keep smoking stuff the none smokers

Maybe you can, but there are huge amount that can't, 10 pints and fight anyone?? Take a walk down Broad Street, and I don't know if it's still as bad, but John Fight Street was a pissed up no rules boxing match to anyone who walked down it... Lets ban booze!! Solve the issue, no need for pubs!!

I agree that the binge drinking culture is a problem that needs sorting out.

However, the comparison to smoking just doesn't stack up. Nobody's suggesting banning smoking, or stopping smokers going to pubs. Is it it really that much of an affront to civil liberties to just ask them to go outside for five minutes if they need to smoke.

I think the key thing is, in places with the ban, after a while, even a lot of smokers seem to agree with the ban. They can all congregate in a nice social huddle outside (and if they can manage it in Toronto when it's minus 20 outside, they can manage it here!) yet the inside of the building is a far more pleasant environment.

Everyone's a winner.

Maybe you can, but there are huge amount that can't, 10 pints and fight anyone?? Take a walk down Broad Street, and I don't know if it's still as bad, but John Fight Street was a pissed up no rules boxing match to anyone who walked down it... Lets ban booze!! Solve the issue, no need for pubs!!

I agree that the binge drinking culture is a problem that needs sorting out.

However, the comparison to smoking just doesn't stack up. Nobody's suggesting banning smoking, or stopping smokers going to pubs. Is it it really that much of an affront to civil liberties to just ask them to go outside for five minutes if they need to smoke.

I think the key thing is, in places with the ban, after a while, even a lot of smokers seem to agree with the ban. They can all congregate in a nice social huddle outside (and if they can manage it in Toronto when it's minus 20 outside, they can manage it here!) yet the inside of the building is a far more pleasant environment.

Everyone's a winner.

It's not that I disagree with you, but surely a mixture of smoking and none smoking pubs is the fairest option at the landlords discretion.... Baring in mind I am a none smoker, I just don't see the issue with this...

But I also make the point that yes this ban is in force and none smokers should be pleased with this, but I get really **** when people bitch, moan and pull faces when smokers are outside and people still moan because they want to sit outside!! You can't have it both way, without an outright ban..

It's not that I disagree with you, but surely a mixture of smoking and none smoking pubs is the fairest option at the landlords discretion....

We have that now. If you want smoke free pubs, it hasn't worked.

Baring in mind I am a none smoker, I just don't see the issue with this...

Ex smoker, big difference.

It's not that I disagree with you, but surely a mixture of smoking and none smoking pubs is the fairest option at the landlords discretion....

We have that now. If you want smoke free pubs, it hasn't worked.

Baring in mind I am a none smoker, I just don't see the issue with this...

Ex smoker, big difference.

Maybe so, and most "ex" smokers are worse than never smokers... BTW I am a NONE SMOKER!!

Then why should Landlords have this rule forced on them??

Maybe so, and most "ex" smokers are worse than never smokers... BTW I am a NONE SMOKER!!

It's not just landlords, it's all enclosed places of work.

Smokers have had their way for too long. There are two groups, smokers and non smokers. Smoking damages non smokers, not smoking doesn't damage smokers, therefore I'd argue that the rights of non smokers are at last being upheld.

Smokers will still be able to smoke, just not in an enclosed room where they can inflict it everybody else.

Really, there isn't a single argument put forward by any of the pro smoking lobby that makes any sense, and that can't be instantly shot down.

Simply because it's the only plausible way to achieve the aims of the smoking ban.

Without the enforcement all the issues over segregation, cost, loss of income etc that has been highlighted and discussed would become an issue.

They wont be an issue and most people are glad of that.

It is absolutely insane that snuff is banned all across Europe, when cigarettes are not.

Snuff is not banned across Europe. I can get it at my local petrol station. Unless that's not real snuff, but as far as I'm aware it is :?

Depends on the country i think. I entered a night club in Russia, and the mafia patrol there thought it was some kinda drugs, so they took my box. Was kinda pissed atm. but try explain reason into bloody Boris & co.

Atleast they gave me my "drugs" back when i left :lol:

It is absolutely insane that snuff is banned all across Europe, when cigarettes are not.

Snuff is not banned across Europe. I can get it at my local petrol station. Unless that's not real snuff, but as far as I'm aware it is :?

snus.jpg

I don't know about ROI specifically, Bri, but this stuff here is illegal in most EU countries. Which is insane, considering how it is FAR less damaging to your health than smoking and how it doesn't harm anyone around you either.

EDIT: I just remembered, we may be talking about two different products too. The stuff I'm talking about is called snus up here, and I thought snuff was the most accurate translation.

You dont bloody sniff it. We are here talking about two different topics. Sniff/snuff or whatever you call it is taken through the nose. What me, and probably several other scandinavians mean, and which is linked above, is Snus or tobacco you put under your lip. You suck the juice and gain nicotin through the skin/blood.

Ive mixed this up myself. TBH ive not got a **** clue what General or snus is called in English. Chewing tobacco maybe.

I'll investigate further then :) I'll read the box next time I'm up there and see what it is. I can also get it in a pub I know of.

Ive mixed this up myself. TBH ive not got a **** clue what General or snus is called in English. Chewing tobacco maybe.

You have indeed. Snuff is basically powdered tobacco for sniffing. No idea what the stuff is that you're talking about.

You have indeed. Snuff is basically powdered tobacco for sniffing. No idea what the stuff is that you're talking about.

Yeah we have snuff aswell. I just dont know what Snus is called in English.

And why do people use snuff? Gives you nothing, nada, zero effect whatsoever. Tiny nose tickle, but you can achieve that with cocacola.

I'll investigate further then :) I'll read the box next time I'm up there and see what it is. I can also get it in a pub I know of.

I think you're talking about the English snuff, which you do indeed sniff (as Risso said). Ironically, this product is legal in the EU, even it is virtually the same as the illegal snus :?

this product is legal in the EU, even it is virtually the same as the illegal snus

No way. Might be sharing a few chemicals, but they are nothing alike.

this product is legal in the EU, even it is virtually the same as the illegal snus

No way. Might be sharing a few chemicals, but they are nothing alike.

In terms of health risks, I would believe they are. Never tried sniffing snuff, but I would think the effect is somewhat similar to snus.

After the Norwegian government in June 2004 implemented a strict indoor smoking ban in public places, sales of snus sky-rocketed and several new variants of the product were put on the Norwegian market. When the Swedish government did the same thing in June 2005, sales of snus also increased dramatically.

:|

Â