12 Worst Chairman in Football History

Villaninireland

To add to this delightful mix of people, I would go for Tony Petty at Swansea (2001-2002),  Michael Knighton at Carlisle United (92-02), Spencer Trethewy at Aldershot (1990),  Mark Golberg at Palace (1997-199) Jerry Sherman at Newport County (1989), and Maxwell for being Robert Maxwell.  It is often that these people bring  mix of ambition beyond their reach, delulsions of grandeur and borderline fraud that can sink much a loved football insitution to their knees. Toxic. Makes you very glad that we have Lerner.

except his horrible decision ot move Wimbledon I think the other criticism is a bit unfair on Winkelman

I agree with you. He came up with a solution to a problem created by snobby Merton council, (who wouldn't allow any development of Plough Lane, favouring a supermarket. The council were also completely unhelpful in finding an alternative site in the borough) and that Scandinavian owner that should have fought the clubs corner, but seemingly lost all interest soon after buying the club.

The Barry town story only tells half of it.

Amongst a thousand bizarre acts he banned me at one point, posted it on the official website and informed the local newspaper that ran a story naming banned football supporters. First I knew about it was when my boss called me in and asked me to explain myself.

Anybody care to hazard a guess what I was banned for? 

That's right, non-attendance.

.....the club is finally ours, fan owned, he didn't get a penny for it.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

I actually started supporting Bangor long after I'd left the place, and so I have no memory of Barry dominating the WPL. But after reading about that (I had no idea!) I think Bangor City should do what Colwyn Bay did and just sack off the FAW totally. WHY the FAW tried to block you playing considering what that total, total nutter did to your club is beyond madness. I really feel for Barry now that I've read up on it.

Banned for non-attendance...is it wrong to at least find that pretty funny?! ;)

It is funny now, we've even got a little song come chant about it, but having to explain to my boss at the time why I was in the paper as a banned football supporter wasn't a great feeling.

It was agreed with him that he would lift his ban ........ if I promised to start attending again. That might give you some insight into the logic and reasoning skills of the guy.

We've got another song about a Chinese guy found living in one of the club store rooms. Sat there, in just his underpants, on a mattress surrounded by crisps. I refuse to imagine what the hell was going on there, but I'm sure it was all legitimate. 

• Like 1

Random fact, that Gavin Chesterfield (Barry Town manager) was my university lecturer last year.

Nice bloke, did not once mention Barry all year despite the shit he must of been going through over the course of the season either.

Â