Week 7 Von! Von! Von!

BOF

Well, as long as we're all allowed to make completely unprovable, virtual reality comments, 

If the Colts hadn't gotten Manning they would have drafted Drew Brees and won 4 superbowls.  

The slightly ironic thing with Dungy's comment is that it would actually mean something if Jim Irsay said it, you know the same Jim Irsay that most people have decided should keep his mouth shut. What Dungy meant anyway was that Irsay shouldn't make any critical comment on Peyton Manning, he should only be kissing his ass. Now I'd accept the premise that Manning should be exempt from any critical comment if he had spent 15 years working as a doctor in war torn countries for an international NGO (i.e. "You did great but you could have saved a few more lives"). He didn't though, he's just a sportsman. 

Likewise, it's also a fairly safe bet that, absent Drew Bledsoe, the Patriots would not be playing in Foxboro.

Not it's not a safe bet at all. It's completely, unprovable, untestable and there's no inherent logic or test that could be applied to even attempt to prove the hypothesis. 

It's not a safe bet at all that you're not a brain in a jar. It's completely unprovable, untestable, and there's no inherent logic or test that could be applied to even attempt to prove (or disprove, for that matter) the hypothesis.

The Patriots were all set to move to St. Louis, and then LA (and after that Hartford) in the early-mid-90s. That's an absolutely verifiable fact.

For someone who is supposedly a bit of a statistician I'm surprised you would argue that no-one knows the counterfactual, it's a very basic statistical argument and that's all I am saying really, As I said what Dungy said and what he meant were very different things. 

It's not a safe bet at all that you're not a brain in a jar. It's completely unprovable, untestable, and there's no inherent logic or test that could be applied to even attempt to prove (or disprove, for that matter) the hypothesis.

What are you getting at here? There's a very simple test to prove I'm not a brain in a jar and if you think about it hard enough you should be able to figure out what that test is. 

I don't know really. I get insulted because I don't 100% accept the premise that without Peyton Manning the Colts would be in LA, without Drew Bledsoe the Patriots would be playing in St. Louis (or LA), that without Adrian Peterson the Vikings would be playing on the moon. I don't really know where it is going. 

Â