4 - 5 - 1 or 4 - 4 - 2?

JuanPabloAngel

Which formation should we use?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which formation should we use?

• 4 - 4 - 2
    • 4 - 5 - 1

Arsenal have lost 4 games this season. Bolton, Man Utd X 2 & Liverpool. All of them play 5 man midfields. Vieira in particular hates playing against this, because he gets roughed up & has no time on the ball.

On the other hand their defence is shocking, so should we pressure it by picking 2 strikers? Cygan is slow, so he wouldn't fancy playing against Moore.

Today I'd go for 4-4-2. I'd like to see us take it to Arsenal even if we do risk a spanking.

Bolton are the only team you've listed that play a true 4-5-1. Man U play more of a chelsea style 4-3-3 and Liverpool only played the way they did through lack of strikers. Moore has to start, along with Angel. Say what you will about missed penalties and the like, he scored on wednesday and played well to boot.

4-4-2 There's no way we're going to leave Angel alone up there he'll do sweet FA. If we don't attempt an attack it'll be a training session at all. Get Moore on and stretch Arsenal. Test their second string defence. Cygan = shit.

You're all looking from too much of a Villa attacking point of view. Don't forget Fabregas, Henry, Pires, Reyes, Ljunberg. A 4 - 5 - 1 makes it harder for them to score. Who cares about us scoring, I'll take a 0 - 0.

Luke Moore can unsettle Cygan after 60 minutes, then we can pinch a goal.

You're all looking from too much of a Villa attacking point of view. Don't forget Fabregas, Henry, Pires, Reyes, Ljunberg. A 4 - 5 - 1 makes it harder for them to score. Who cares about us scoring, I'll take a 0 - 0.

Luke Moore can unsettle Cygan after 60 minutes, then we can pinch a goal.

Henry has scored once outside of London all season and hasn't scored for 7 games - not exactly quaking there to be honest

Ashley Cole even looks to be tad unsettled at the mo :D

The most experienced CB they have available is Cygan, they may have to play full-back Justin Hoyte in the centre of their defence and you want to play one up front? Cygan and Hoyte in defence and you want them to both mark just the one player? You're mad, this Arsenal team are beatable expecially as the league is no longer a priority for them, they know they can't win it

Its the first time I've thought we actually have a chance of beating them for a good few seasons there's literally no point in playing defensively in this game, we need to go for the jugular

Henry has scored once outside of London all season and hasn't scored for 7 games - not exactly quaking there to be honest

Ashley Cole even looks to be tad unsettled at the mo

Ahem, we'll ignore that.

We should have played 4 - 5 - 1. They had far too much room to do their stuff. If we had Berson in there, he would have put himself about.

JPA does have a point, if in hindsight, that sometimes in order to win a match, you first have to attempt to not lose it. I don't think 4-5-1 would have been by defualt the wrong thing to do, but i also think DOL would have been cucified for using this at home, especially if we would have lost, and lets be honest, we still most likely would have. |I think as the home team the onus is on us to attempt to win and as such his decision to play 4-4-2 shouldn't be critised at all.

Against Arsenal we should have had 5 in midfield. They are so good at playing through the centre, you have to keep it tight in there and force them out wide.

I think yesterdays game suggests once again that DOL is weak tactically.

Against Arsenal we should have had 5 in midfield. They are so good at playing through the centre, you have to keep it tight in there and force them out wide.

Seeing that both our full backs were murdered, the idea of forcing them out wide is scary.

Seeing that both our full backs were murdered, the idea of forcing them out wide is scary.

It was through balls from Vieira and Bergkamp that killed us, if you make Arsenal play crosses in they look weak.

. No matter how we lined up yesterday, Arsenal were vastly superior and we were not prepared mentally.

To me , playing 4-5-1 would have just invited them onto us. Anytime they attacked they were likely to score. For 4-5-1 you need support from midfield any anytime we have played it it has beena faliure.

4-5-1 would have at least made it more difficult for Arsenal. They were the better team and gave a world class performance but you can still identify one or two weaknesses, i.e 1.They are not good at crosses and headers and 2. They are not so good in the 2nd half. We should have played accordingly.

Â