Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

In an ideal world I would like us to buy Carlos Tevez and Jermain Defoe...together with Michael Owen...but there is only so much to dream about. :winkold:

If we do that will we be known as midget football club?! Is MON's tactic to get a team full of rapid dwarfs to run through opposition defenders legs?! :lol:

Midgets? I dont see Defoe and Carew as small boys. Owen and Tevez would add something extra...but then again...Moore and Young does too. :winkold:

Well Defoe is 5'7 so id say he is small. Carew is 6'4+ but in that list hed be the only one over 6' so we would have an abundance of midgets especially with Maloney, Young, Gabby and Moore all under 6' also.

I dont see any harm in having quick and smaller players in attack when we have Carew to give the way for any of them.

However...it is essential that we have big and strong players in the central area because we need a true ballwinner in the middle.

I dont know, but does Man Utd have big players in front? They did win the league...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see any harm in having quick and smaller players in attack when we have Carew to give the way for any of them.

However...it is essential that we have big and strong players in the central area because we need a true ballwinner in the middle.

I dont know, but does Man Utd have big players in front? They did win the league...

Well if we unfortunately lost Carew to injury who would take his role? Who is going to win the ball and hold it if all we have is small lightweights?

Man U - Saha & Ronaldo 6'1.

Spurs have got a talented squad, but we're hardly years behind them - just a couple of wins. And yes I do think we could beat them for players right now.

We are a year or two behind them, they are higher up in the league than us despite playing in europe

whats to say if next season we finish in a UEFA cup spot, we don't struggle like Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, Middlesboro did and have quite a poor season?

your judging it on league standings, despite us not even playing in europe, which notoriously damages UEFA cup teams domestic seasons

the fact that only 3 of our first team 11 would get into their first team 11 at full strength says it all.

From a villa fan point of view i can understand why people think we can get all the quality players

but from a neutral perspective i can see that Spurs are much closer to the top 4, they'll be challenging for the UEFA cup next season, they have a much better squad and they are in London, where as we are mid table in the premiership hoping to get to the position spurs did 2 years ago

Spurs are now getting use to the busy workload of regularly playing in europe and the premierhsip, like the top 4 have had too, that usually takes 2 years of 60 plus games a season to really get to grips with, theirs a big chance that if we qualify for europe at the end of next season the following season we finish mid table.

I get the feeling if neutrals were reading this they would be laughing their socks off, deluded villa fans at it again..

anyway thats the last i will say on the matter as its getting tedious for all

Boruc

Young

Distin

Defoe

and a few midfielders please

Good post. The addition of West Ham into the fray this summer should provide more competition in the transfer market. The one thing that Villa have got going for them right now though is the Martin O Neill factor. Players want to work with the best so that will work in our favour. We will lose a few battles for players this summer to Spam, Spurs and the top 4 but we will win a few too.

In an ideal world I would like us to buy Carlos Tevez and Jermain Defoe...together with Michael Owen...but there is only so much to dream about. :winkold:

If we do that will we be known as midget football club?! Is MON's tactic to get a team full of rapid dwarfs to run through opposition defenders legs?! :lol:

Midgets? I dont see Defoe and Carew as small boys. Owen and Tevez would add something extra...but then again...Moore and Young does too. :winkold:

Dont worry we can sign SWP and his whopping 5 foot 2 inches will sort out our height problems...

I think Reo-Coker is almost nailed on to leave the cheating spammers. He was asked after the game if he was gonna stay and he nervously laughed then said he'd not made his mind up over his future.

Id take them both in a heartbeat! Add Bent and id say our attacking options would be set for the foreseeable future!

Reo-Coker will definitely leave imo, that's the impression i got from his interview on MOTD today also!

I think Reo-Coker is almost nailed on to leave the cheating spammers. He was asked after the game if he was gonna stay and he nervously laughed then said he'd not made his mind up over his future.

Yeah from his reaction he might as well have said, "I cant wait to get the **** out of here!"

I don't know if I'd want Reo-Coker here.

Good player, but has a bit of an attitude problem. Surely we can find somebody else jsut as good or better than him?

If it was a choice between him and Barton id go with him! Club Captain aged 21 and has a great engine, he would be the ideal replacement for Mcann!

How Much Money will we Have to spend in the summer? If we dont get europe? and how much if we do?

im gonna say. 1 last 25 mill spree then try to settle a team

I dont think Europe would have much of a bearing on our transfer budget to be honest. Not the Uefa cup. But then again we might need a bigger squad...

But in either case I dont think our transfer budget is written in stone. Lerner and O Neill are flexible and MON will tell him what he needs and where the priorities are. I would imagine between 25 and 50 million would be our budget, pending what opportunities present themselves. I only hope that our good run doesnt dilute their urgency because our good Jan transfer window was preceded by a shocking run of form.

I've heard Distin mentioned as a CB quite a bit but Ben Haim from Bolton is apparently available this summer as well.

The guy on Villa World commentating with dear Jack was waxing lyrical about him today and although I make a habit of NOT watching Bolton, so I can't say much but he is by all accounts extremely good and he's only 25

Good player, but has a bit of an attitude problem. Surely we can find somebody else jsut as good or better than him?

If it was a choice between him and Barton id go with him! Club Captain aged 21 and has a great engine, he would be the ideal replacement for Mcann!

Ive noticed a lot of Villa fans expressing apprehension over going after Reo-coker, Barton and Bellamy due to their questionable temperament record. I dont think we should be worried. MON, among his many managerial gifts seems to be a great man manager. He is fair but stern. I'm sure he learned well at the feet of Brian Clough. Also a bit of fire and aggression is not necessarily a bad thing, particularly in those combatative midfield positions. Maybe Villa have lacked it of late. Either of those three would not concern me and would be beneficial additions to our squad.

Well he almost signed for Chelsea in January so by all accounts he is a good player. I haven't seen to much of him to be honest but if he is as good as some make out and young at 25 id say he would be ideal as an acquisition for CB.

Ive noticed a lot of Villa fans expressing apprehension over going after Reo-coker, Barton and Bellamy due to their questionable temperament record. I dont think we should be worried. MON, among his many managerial gifts seems to be a great man manager. He is fair but stern. I'm sure he learned well at the feet of Brian Clough. Also a bit of fire and aggression is not necessarily a bad thing, particularly in those combatative midfield positions. Maybe Villa have lacked it of late. Either of those three would not concern me and would be beneficial additions to our squad.

I agree also and i think especially Barton and Reo-Coker would be ideal players to have available for the derby games.

1- for their drive and tough tackling and

2- if it kicks off you know they will be in there busting some heads!

I've heard Distin mentioned as a CB quite a bit but Ben Haim from Bolton is apparently available this summer as well.

The guy on Villa World commentating with dear Jack was waxing lyrical about him today and although I make a habit of NOT watching Bolton, so I can't say much but he is by all accounts extremely good and he's only 25

Not sure that Ben Haim would come here as he had a trial and got turned down by us just over 2 years ago.

Not sure that Ben Haim would come here as he had a trial and got turned down by us just over 2 years ago.

Different time, different regime! :D :winkold:

We won't play with an anchor like Makelele.

We don't have the players in front of him to it beneficial. And I think picking Makelele almost forces the hand in terms of 4 - 5 - 1, which I don't want to see us play.

What like Carew, Petrov, Young, Gabby, Maloney?

Makelele would set Petrov free to roam.