Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could point out that your are wrong, and the fact that your tried to be a smart arse insiuating people expected Ronaldinho, while nobody has said it. But then again apparantly im a village idiot, so you are right. Ofc. Now keep on ignoring points made, and make pointless posts to score pointless points. You bore me. Bye.

good decision TRL. if/when you come back, you might want to apologise for your words towards fellow posters.

Koumas was their player of the season when he went down, and at that time there were loads of Villa fans who said he'd make a good signing.

Well I just hope that MON, who I think knows better, doesn't listen this time in the same way as DOL didn't back then (he did get something right after all!)

What is it that you don't like about him?

For me he's a great midfielder. He can go past people, has great range to his passing and has an eye for goal. People were saying the same things about Cahill and Sidwell in the past as you're saying about Koumas, and they've turned out OK.

See ya.

Oh, before you go, can we have those quotes from the General please?

You wont get them i dont think Dave, the argument has shifted so people conveniently forget about being wrong.

People have to realize that the top of the Championship is not that much different to where we have been the last few years.

Not that I'm against the signing of Koumas, but if that were true would it not be a good reason not to buy from there - we're trying to push on?

I don't think it's a stretch to say West Brom have the best squad in that division, this coming season or infact the one just gone. Who would you put them on a level with in the Premier league? I'd say easily a team like Man City or Wigan. Koumas is their best player by quite some distance IMO, so does that put him on the same level as a Barton or a Baines?

Maybe not, but do you see what I mean?

:) Yeah sort of. I just thought the analogy with West Brom as a team was a strange one, it's about the individual player really and whether he can cut it. If Pele played for Scunthorpe he'd still be a good player even though Scunthorpe are nowhere near being a Premiership side.

If you see what I mean lol.

For me he's a great midfielder.

We clearly have a different definition of great then Risso. He's good, no doubt about it, but no better than we already have.

He can go past people, has great range to his passing and has an eye for goal.

In the championship he can yeah. In the Premiership I don't recall him doing any of those things very often. Like Earnshaw I think he has found his level, and IMO, it's not one that Villa should be operating on anymore.

If we sign him though , I'll give the lad a fair go and cheer him on. I just think MON is aiming his sights higher.

:) Yeah sort of. I just thought the analogy with West Brom as a team was a strange one, it's about the individual player really and whether he can cut it. If Pele played for Scunthorpe he'd still be a good player even though Scunthorpe are nowhere near being a Premiership side.

If you see what I mean lol.

Yeah fair do's, I agree. All I'm trying to show is that just because West Brom play in the Championship it doesn't necessarily mean they have a Championship squad. I'm amazed they didn't win automatic promotion and I don't think I'm alone. So there shouldn't be a stigma attatched to buying a player from West Brom, their best player at that. I'm saying it's similar to buying Man City's best player.

For me he's a great midfielder.

We clearly have a different definition of great then Risso. He's good, no doubt about it. But I don't think he has what it takes at the level we are aiming for.

He can go past people, has great range to his passing and has an eye for goal.

In the championship he can yeah. In the Premiership I don't recall him doing any of those things very often. Like Earnshaw I think he has found his level, and IMO, it's not one that Villa should be operating on anymore.

If we sign him though , I'll give the lad a fair go and cheer him on. I just think MON is aiming his sights higher.

Fair points. By the way, I didn't mean 'great' as in A great, if you get my meaning.

But I still think you're being harsh on the lad. For me he'd be less of a risk than signing somebody from say, Eastern Europe or South America. He did well in a relegated Premier League team, then has probably been the best player in the championship for the last 2 seasons. He can play centre mid or out wide as well.

It's all about timing though. I bet if his name was mentioned after we'd signed two "higher profile players" everbody would be saying what a great squad O'Neill was putting together. It's just that apart from NRC, he's the first tangible link we've had, so people are disappointed it's not a bigger name.

Look at Brian Little's first few transfers. He didn't go out to bring in lots of star names, but instead signed people like Southgate, Draper, Johnson and Charles.

So do people think we will sign a "name" first or a squad builder first and leave the name signings until the end of the summer so that we start the season on a high?

Not sure about Koumas. If he is that good, why hasn't he been snapped up sooner? Attacking midfielder, good ones anyway, are hard to come by.

He has looked good for West Brom in the championship, but the PL is a large step, and he wasn't that great the first time round with West brom.

So do people think we will sign a "name" first or a squad builder first and leave the name signings until the end of the summer so that we start the season on a high?

I don't think the club will worry about stuff like that, it's only us fans who notice that sort of thing. O'Neill will know his prime targets are, and will want them in as soon as possible, whoever they are.

It's just that apart from NRC, he's the first tangible link we've had, so people are disappointed it's not a bigger name.

Yeah, good point that. I guess it's all about expectations. And mine have gone slightly stratospheric of late admittedly. Going from your bit about the timing, I suppose we agree that he would a squad player though? I could live with that if the signing was followed later in the summer by something (or things!) a bit tastier.

Not sure about Koumas. If he is that good, why hasn't he been snapped up sooner? Attacking midfielder, good ones anyway, are hard to come by.

A good point, though I think it's more to do with the fact that you can get cheaper players from abroad. Clubs also seem scared about buying from the lower leagues.

If we'd been linked with Sidwell last year, we'd probably have been having the same discussion.

Yeah, good point that. I guess it's all about expectations. And mine have gone slightly stratospheric of late admittedly. Going from your bit about the timing, I suppose we agree that he would a squad player though?

Well we're better served in the midfield department than at right back say, so yes, he'd have to earn his spot.

http://www.celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=68195

And other clubs like Celtic really would hate the signing of Koumas. Read their comments..on the article. Haven`t really seen the lad play that much...still i would question if this is a quality signing!

How much Championship footy do they get up there? Jocks have always overrated their teams and the quality of the SPL.

Anyone who doesn't rate Koumas obviously doesn't know anything about football :winkold:

If we'd been linked with Sidwell last year, we'd probably have been having the same discussion.

Without wanting to waste my afternoon with the search facility, I'd bet that at some point we were and we did.