Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I think Taylor would be signed as a left midfielder who can cover at left back if needed.

I think Pompey would be stupid to let him go personally, not that I'd be complaining if they did of course!

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Jagielka looked bright coming on for England B! I think he would be a really good addition to our squad.

Must say was also impressed with Darren Bentley from B Burn and Downing played well too.

So we are in for Matty Taylor are we?

5M mentioned is a good price I guess.

Kind of annoying Spurs got Gareth Bale, I wouldn't mind a left back with those capabilities from set-pieces, Bouma has proved himself to be pretty awful.

Is MON getting Taylor as a LB? LM? Cover?

I have to disagree with you on Bouma, imo he is going to be a great player for us over the next couple of years.

We should go for Reo-Coke if he is available! :thumb:

Errrrm.....no!

Barton everytime over Reo-coker.

He's shite.

Errrrm.....yes!

I would rather have someone who is good at football not good at putting out cigars in peoples eyes!

Clicky linky

Gareth Barry is backing Craig Bellamy to help take Aston Villa "onto the next level" if he completes a summer move from Liverpool.

Bellamy is one of Villa boss Martin O'Neill's leading targets as part of an expected spending spree bankrolled by owner and chairman Randy Lerner.

There is intense speculation that the Wales international, who worked under O'Neill during a loan spell at Celtic two years ago, will become surplus to requirements at Anfield after just one season.

And O'Neill will be at the front of the queue bidding for Bellamy's signature if Rafael Benitez is ready to off-load the striker.

Barry said: "I'd definitely welcome Craig Bellamy. He has proved himself in the Premier League - and across Europe as well.

"People like Craig Bellamy are the kind of quality players we want to be linked with and, if we sign them, it's even better. We're now being linked with all the top players and hopefully this summer we can sign a couple.

"The next step for the club is to move on to the next level, which is European football, and Craig Bellamy can help us do that if he comes or if players of that quality come as well.

"He's feisty but maybe that's something the club needs. You need winners in your team and he is definitely one of those."

Barry was reassured by O'Neill that quality players would be on the agenda this summer after agreeing to sign a new four year contract.

He said: "When I had a chat with the manager at the beginning of the season, assurances were made that we would be signing quality players.

"I've got faith in the manager and the chairman-owner that we can take the club forward. I believe in them and the fans do as well."

On a personal note Barry was pleased with his performance for England 'B' in a central midfield role and set up the opening goal for Alan Smith in a 3-1 win over Albania at Turf Moor.

He said: "The main thing was the team performance but to play in central midfield for the first time at international level was very enjoyable.

"I felt very comfortable. Any position is going to be tough to force my way into with England but I've played other positions for my country and settled in very well.

"It's another position that the manager can think of me for in terms of cover or if he needs me to play so it can only add strength to my claims."

When players talk about other players coming there has to be something behind it. Maybe this is the team telling us that they are not as worried as us about the disruptive nature of Bellemy?

So we are in for Matty Taylor are we?

5M mentioned is a good price I guess.

Kind of annoying Spurs got Gareth Bale, I wouldn't mind a left back with those capabilities from set-pieces, Bouma has proved himself to be pretty awful.

Is MON getting Taylor as a LB? LM? Cover?

I have to disagree with you on Bouma, imo he is going to be a great player for us over the next couple of years.

I was only pointing out that Bouma is awful from set-pieces, unlike Bale which has this wicked way of hitting the ball twisting his body so the ball gets a funny angle

To be fair Rocafella we have other players in the team who should be able to take a free kick so as to not expect Bouma to take them

True very true, but I saw Bouma take quite a few last season from the left side. Of course, in the end he didn't take any because Young and Maloney covered it nicely. Saying that; I don't believe Maloney will be a certain starter for us. I think he will hold that kind of role that Luis Garcia has had at Liverpool.

what giving it away at everyone oppurtunity? Id like him to be 10 times the player he is :D

I bloody hate garcia, hes had so much luck in his career, and got an odd hairband

By the way, to all of the panic merchants.

We got Stan Collymore the very first day after the season ended. No futher comment required on that one.

There is no race for signings. There are often complicated reasons why certain players are not available until a certain time.

MON has his list and I'm sure he has a "B" list too.

When he wants someone who is available he will buy them.

Sure that is true and I hope we don't cause a havoc on here like in January :)

Still, the sooner we get in touch with certain players the less time other clubs have to strike a deal.

Blitztransferpropaganda. Godspeed and all that. I am not talking about the shit going over at West Ham

as they are signing a bunch of useless players before they could have evaluated the other ones available.

Titus Bramble? What the hell is that....

Because Taylor can play comfortably as both left mid and left back he would be a very useful addition to the squad.If we play 4-4-2, he can play as left back and barry as left mid and they can interchange throughout the game when taylor goes forward barry can cover for him and vice versa.We can't rely on bouma to be fit for the whole season.After seeing the article with Barry commenting on Bellamy,I'm 100% sure he will be a villa player come next season.I'm pleased as Bellamy has undoubted talent.The thing I worry about is back up for carew.

Nobody is questioning the talent of Craig Bellamy. It's just that everybody knows he is a complete clearing in the woods and why is that going to change just because he is going to the Villa? Sure, less pressure and more comfort in knowing he would play more compared to his situation at Liverpool, you never know. Strangely enough, I think Carew/Bellamy would be pretty decent.

I think we need Bellamy's fiery attitude, and so long as MON knows how to control the lad (and he didn't have any trouble when Bellamy was at Celtic), it could be to our advantage.

With regards to Taylor, I think it'd be an interesting signing if it were to happen, but I'm not sure where MON would be thinking to play him.

I think Barry will play more or less in the middle next year

I agree. He hasn't got the pace to play on the wing and he also has the ability to control games from the center. I can see big things for Barry.