Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Appiah has been a favourite nomination in this thread for a while. I see him as a very raw midfielder - very willing to run all day, cover every blade of grass (and I do mean every single blade) but has a tendency to look like a headless chicken at times. For Ghana he is 'bailed out' by having the simply awesome Michael Essien beside him to steady the ship and be Mr. Sensible. Provided he wouldn't cost a fortune I wouldn't mind us getting him, but I don't see him as being the difference between Europe and midtable. I don't think he's that good, but I could be wrong.

I disagree big style, Appiah is a class act and very competative, much like Gattuso, just because he races around the pitch doesn't make him a "headless chicken", the likes of Juventus don't invest in such players, imo he is a world class player and he was one of the stars for Ghana at the world cup, it was a two way thing between Essien and Appiah for me, they both dominated games, Appiah is simply an all round class player who can create and score a cracker at one end, and then save us at the back, i'd compare him to a Boateng type player who is also good going forward and i hope Mon moves heaven and earth to get him as he'd be worth every penny, a player who can easliy beat the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Fabreges in a midfield battle.

I would preserve praise like this really, on another side he really looks like the player who can come to the Premiership and flop totally. You never know with these players. Also, it's not like every club in the G14 is looking for him so saying he could easily beat the likes of Gerrard and Lampard is a bit off don't you think? Easily better than McCann though, so it would be a step up.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appiah has been a favourite nomination in this thread for a while. I see him as a very raw midfielder - very willing to run all day, cover every blade of grass (and I do mean every single blade) but has a tendency to look like a headless chicken at times. For Ghana he is 'bailed out' by having the simply awesome Michael Essien beside him to steady the ship and be Mr. Sensible. Provided he wouldn't cost a fortune I wouldn't mind us getting him, but I don't see him as being the difference between Europe and midtable. I don't think he's that good, but I could be wrong.

I disagree.

Just before the 2006 World Cup I went to see the friendly between Ghana and South Korea at Easter Road.

While Essien was immense, Appiah was even better and man of the match by a considerable margin. You are correct about his amazing energy and willingness to cover every blade of grass but he also has good technique, is a good passer and an excellent leader.

Would be a superb signing in my opinion as he would suit the Premiership down to the ground.

Sneijder is almost a certain to go to Valencia, so you can probably write him off now.

Their bid was rejected.

They keep upping it though.

Sneijder expects tranfer within 2 or 3 days

In the Algemeen Dagblad, Wesley Sneijder says that he expects an agreement soon about his transfer to Valencia. "I think it will be done in 2 or 3 days, but that's not up to me. The matches from Ajax against AZ are most important now, I want to focus fully on these matches."

"I expect that the clubs will reach an agreement soon. Myself I have agreed for a while already. Valencia is a great club in a great league. I really would like to play there. I think I'm ready for this. I have to wait now for the clubs to reach an agreement."

According to Martin van Geel, it's been quiet lately. "Since the 2nd offer a while ago, I haven't heard from them. It's possible that they contact us soon again, but for now it's rather quiet", Van Geel said. Valencia wants to finish it this week. A delegation will come to Amsterdam, to close the gap. Before the offers weren't even enough to make Ajax take it serious, but they're preparing a serious offer now.

http://www.ad.nl/sport/article1379506.ece

Could go tits up, but I doubt Ajax will keep him against his will.

I disagree big style, Appiah is a class act and very competative, much like Gattuso, just because he races around the pitch doesn't make him a "headless chicken", the likes of Juventus don't invest in such players, imo he is a world class player and he was one of the stars for Ghana at the world cup, it was a two way thing between Essien and Appiah for me, they both dominated games, Appiah is simply an all round class player who can create and score a cracker at one end, and then save us at the back, i'd compare him to a Boateng type player who is also good going forward and i hope Mon moves heaven and earth to get him as he'd be worth every penny, a player who can easliy beat the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Fabreges in a midfield battle.

I would preserve praise like this really, on another side he really looks like the player who can come to the Premiership and flop totally. You never know with these players. Also, it's not like every club in the G14 is looking for him so saying he could easily beat the likes of Gerrard and Lampard is a bit off don't you think? Easily better than McCann though, so it would be a step up.

Well that's your opinion, mine comes from seeing him as a youngster at Udinese right up until now, and for me there's no question that he'd light up the premiership, the difference between him and Essien is not that big imo.

Well, Distin has now apparently agreed to sign for Portsmouth.

So that's that one out the window.

I'm sure someone on here said he was a dead cert!? Oh well...

If he is going to Portsmouth than I doubt MON ever had him in his sights and has got other defensive targets in mind. If we want our man against the likes of Portsmouth, West Ham, Everton etc we will get him. Like in the case of Young.

How can you say "I'm sure" and then end the sentence with a question mark ;) ;) :P

Because i'm crap at punkuation and there is meant to be a sense of irony in the statement! ;)

How can you say "I'm sure" and then end the sentence with a question mark ;) ;) :P

Because i'm crap at punkuation and there is meant to be a sense of irony in the statement! ;)

and spelling it seems

Sneijder is almost a certain to go to Valencia, so you can probably write him off now.

Their bid was rejected.

They keep upping it though.

Sneijder expects tranfer within 2 or 3 days

"I think it will be done in 2 or 3 days, but that's not up to me. The matches from Ajax against AZ are most important now, I want to focus fully on these matches."

http://www.ad.nl/sport/article1379506.ece

Could go tits up, but I doubt Ajax will keep him against his will.

And that was Thursday and still not even a bigger bid. i'm not saying he won't I'm just disagreeing that we should forget about him now, because it's far from over.

And if he does go there then either Baraja or David Albelda or Edu become pushed out. I'd take any of them.

and spelling it seems

Hahaha dam it was too subtle, should have made it more obvious that i spellt it wrong on purpose, just incase.

I spelt it wrong on purpose as a joke after BOF's post.

Anyone else get that? BOF?

Thanks for replying though and proving a point! Make sure you check everyone's spelling and not just mine everytime. :roll:

Latics duo set for JJB departure

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce wants to sign Wigan full-back Leighton Baines - and Paul Scharner could also leave the JJB Stadium.

According to the Manchester Evening News, Allardyce wants to sign the England Under-21 left-back as the first step towards rebuilding a backline that has leaked goals.

Allardyce's predecessor at St James' Park, Glenn Roeder, also tried to sign Baines but the lure of some more stability in the North-East could tempt the full-back to leave The JJB.

Big Sam is also thought to want centre-half Tal Ben Haim - but he faces hefty competition from Chelsea and Portsmouth for the Israeli defender.

The MEN goes on to claim that Baines could be just the first man on his way out of Wigan.

Latics midfielder Scharner has been linked with a move, with Everton and Aston Villa possible destinations.

Despite the potential exits, new Latics boss Chris Hutchings will be given a £20million transfer kitty to spend, and Watford centre-half Danny Shittu could be his first signing.

Clicky

Latics midfielder Scharner has been linked with a move, with Everton and Aston Villa possible destinations.

Shoddy journalism. Every club in the world is technically a 'possible destination'. Scharner is below us. Might sound snobbish but I believe he is.

Scharner is below us. Might sound snobbish but I believe he is.

Not having a go at anyone in particular, I just think a lot of people comment on things they actually don't know about, rather than admitting as much

Now obviously BOF you might be a Wigan season ticket holder for all I know, so my deepest apologies if that's the case.

But just how often have you seen Scharner play?