Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one major disagreement is over your view of Craig Gardner, imo he is going to be the next big icon at VP. He has loads of technical ability and the heart and soul of an Ian Taylor (that was one of my "three in the morning" ramblings.)

Having seen 6 of his last 7 games live i agree totally with this. A real star in the making.

And I don't disagree at all. My thoughts about him is to learn his trade this season and really push for it the next season. Maybe not the right way to go, but those were my thoughts. I'd really come to like him too and he's shown more and more of being a new Sid for us. Guess I'm alone in thinking that, but still. :D

I can see where you are coming from Pelle and if Craig was any other twenty year old I would totally agree with you. I have been fortunate to watch Gardner through his reserve career and I can tell you that he has the maturity of a thirty year old in a twenty year old body.

I think it was "out by easter" who coined the nickname "Crash Gardner" after one particular display which contained blood and guts tackling and attacking crunching headers at set pieces which I have only seen from the likes of Micah Richards. I was at that game and I can tell you that opposition players were obviously avoiding him before we had reached half time!

Lampard and Gerrard will be looking over the shoulders of their England shirts in a couple of years time.

Bent

Appiah

Luke Young

Lampard

Scott Parker

til we get something more concrete that's all I have to say on the speculation. Might log something on footballrumours and see if it gets picked up here.......

Bent

Appiah

Luke Young

Lampard

Scott Parker

til we get something more concrete that's all I have to say on the speculation. Might log something on footballrumours and see if it gets picked up here.......

When you do Lancs it always helps if you start your rumour by saying "my dad is a football agent" it fools me every time!

How bout that young lad Billy Elliot, he's got great feet. Don't know how he got on after his big move to the capital though....
He changed his name to Milan Baros and after his big move to Chelski fell through he took himself off to Lyon!

Everyone keeps mentioning Bent, can you really see him at Villa Park next year when he will have the option of European football at Tottenham ,Liverpool,etc............ Not that were not a good prospect but it just aint gonna happen.

My one major disagreement is over your view of Craig Gardner, imo he is going to be the next big icon at VP. He has loads of technical ability and the heart and soul of an Ian Taylor (that was one of my "three in the morning" ramblings.)

Having seen 6 of his last 7 games live i agree totally with this. A real star in the making.

And I don't disagree at all. My thoughts about him is to learn his trade this season and really push for it the next season. Maybe not the right way to go, but those were my thoughts. I'd really come to like him too and he's shown more and more of being a new Sid for us. Guess I'm alone in thinking that, but still. :D

I can see where you are coming from Pelle and if Craig was any other twenty year old I would totally agree with you. I have been fortunate to watch Gardner through his reserve career and I can tell you that he has the maturity of a thirty year old in a twenty year old body.

I think it was "out by easter" who coined the nickname "Crash Gardner" after one particular display which contained blood and guts tackling and attacking crunching headers at set pieces which I have only seen from the likes of Micah Richards. I was at that game and I can tell you that opposition players were obviously avoiding him before we had reached half time!

Lampard and Gerrard will be looking over the shoulders of their England shirts in a couple of years time.

And I certainly hope, and think, you're right about that. I can see he's got talent enough to get there, a little bit depending on how he develop and how the national manager in the future will look on Villa-players.

Is there any player we've sold that you lot think we let go that we shouldn't have and that you would want to have back at VP? I can't find anyone. Anyone would like Crouch back? Hammer?

The kid is decent no doubt but he's not gonna be anywhere near the likes of Lampard or Gerrard imo, he's had a few decent games and that's good, but remember Davis was our player of the season last year and look at him now?, there's no way Gardner has had a better season than he did last year, i mean even Ozzy has had some very good games for us too!!, if we are thinking of making the top four then for me Gardner would have to be a squad player!!, we need absolute top class in the middle of the park like Fernandes, Nasri, Makoun or Toure, that's the only way we're gonna compete, if Gardner's good enough he'll embrace the challenge of competing with those kind of players.

Everyone keeps mentioning Bent, can you really see him at Villa Park next year when he will have the option of European football at Tottenham ,Liverpool,etc............ Not that were not a good prospect but it just aint gonna happen.
How good is Bent after the ravages of last season? Hypothetically if you offered Martin Jol a choice between Bent or Agbonlahor as a done deal who would he choose?

The kid is decent no doubt but he's not gonna be anywhere near the likes of Lampard or Gerrard imo, he's had a few decent games and that's good, but remember Davis was our player of the season last year and look at him now?, there's no way Gardner has had a better season than he did last year, i mean even Ozzy has had some very good games for us too!!, if we are thinking of making the top four then for me Gardner would have to be a squad player!!, we need absolute top class in the middle of the park like Fernandes, Nasri, Makoun or Toure, that's the only way we're gonna compete, if Gardner's good enough he'll embrace the challenge of competing with those kind of players.

Actually something in his game tells me that he's a lot better than Davis. Never been totally convinced by Davis whilst Gardner is looking more like it IMO.

The kid is decent no doubt but he's not gonna be anywhere near the likes of Lampard or Gerrard imo

He probably isn't, no. There was probably a bit of hyperbole on the part of the original poster in my opinion.

But then again, what was Gerrard doing for Liverpool at age 20, in his breakthrough season? If memory serves he played a couple of dozen games, scoring once.

Gardner seems to be following a similar career trajectory so far.

Actually something in his game tells me that he's a lot better than Davis. Never been totally convinced by Davis whilst Gardner is looking more like it IMO.

Physically, Gardner has a lot more about him than Davis, which whether we like it or not, is extremely important in today's premiership. Technically, i didn't think he was as good as Davis but having wtached him closely home & away over the past few weeks i've come around to the view i was totally wrong on that one.

Pelle, I enjoyed that long post, maybe you should stick it on the front page :)

The one thing I will say about SWP is - I think he IS good enough, because he has been playing consistently and seems to have his confidence back up.

However, he has only played so much because Robben & Cole have had so many injury problems, Duff aint there anymore (I thought he was the best out of those 4, personally) & the new signings aint been great... Plus he has stopped hugging the security blanket of the right-wing. When his confidence is up he spends a lot more time in the middle, and because he is nippy & skillful with an excellent low sense of gravity (a bitch of a combination for opposing defenders) he is actually very effective there. Something Aaron Lennon should do more of, IMO.

Therefore I firmly believe that the best move for SWP next season is to leave Chelsea and go somewhere that will give him first team football on a regular basis.

Will he do that, and if he does will he come to us? I'd say probably not, although it's hardly unimaginable.

But if we did get him, I think he'd be a cracking signing. I know many VT'ers are split on that, but my opinion has remained unchanged throughout - Shaun Wright-Phillips would be a star at Aston Villa.

In my humble opinion, of course :winkold:

Yes I can. Not saying it is gonna happen but there's no saying that these clubs will want him when it comes down to it. If Liverpool bid, then I'll say he'll got there but its always possible that they'll find another option or we out bid spurs. Its always a psossibility and writing it off entirely is what we used to do.

The one thing I will say about SWP is - I think he IS good enough, because he has been playing consistently and seems to have his confidence back up.

However, he has only played so much because Robben & Cole have had so many injury problems, Duff aint there anymore (I thought he was the best out of those 4, personally) & the new signings aint been great... Plus he has stopped hugging the security blanket of the right-wing. When his confidence is up he spends a lot more time in the middle, and because he is nippy & skillful with an excellent low sense of gravity (a bitch of a combination for opposing defenders) he is actually very effective there. Something Aaron Lennon should do more of, IMO.

Therefore I firmly believe that the best move for SWP next season is to leave Chelsea and go somewhere that will give him first team football on a regular basis.

Will he do that, and if he does will he come to us? I'd say probably not, although it's hardly unimaginable.

But if we did get him, I think he'd be a cracking signing. I know many VT'ers are split on that, but my opinion has remained unchanged throughout - Shaun Wright-Phillips would be a star at Aston Villa.

With regard to SWP thats the closest opinion to mine that i've seen thus far.

Igor Tudor is for free...He is 29 years old and would like to come to England. I think he could be an asset!

I also see that Allardyce doesnt wait too long to clear som faces out from Newcastle...

Titus Bramble

Olivier Bernard

Craig Moore

Oguchi Onyewu

Pavel Srnicek

They've been showned the door today....out with "dead meat"...MON should do the same.

The kid is decent no doubt but he's not gonna be anywhere near the likes of Lampard or Gerrard imo

He probably isn't, no. There was probably a bit of hyperbole on the part of the original poster in my opinion.

But then again, what was Gerrard doing for Liverpool at age 20, in his breakthrough season? If memory serves he played a couple of dozen games, scoring once.

Gardner seems to be following a similar career trajectory so far.

I know I'm a bit of a Gardner groupie but Craig said the other day that Barry had a word with him about taking a chance on making runs to feed off Carews flick ons, and if you watch the match tapes back he looks just like a young Gerrard in the way he makes those clever marauding runs into the box, and then he demonstrated Lampards ability to hit a sweet volley. If you look at the header that Carew glanced wide not only did Gardner start the move but he then ran twenty yards knocking a Bolton player flat on the way to arrive and fling himself perfectly at a cross that Carew got the skin of his forehead to.

ml1dch, you're probably right about the hyperbole, but this guy is a quick learner with all the equipment to go all the way, imo long term injury is the only thing that could stop him.

They've been showned the door today....out with "dead meat"...MON should do the same.

We are. Samuel and Hendrie aren't having their contracts renewed.

You can't just boot somebody if their contract still has time on it, which isn't the case with the five Newcastle players.

Thanks for those kind words. :D It's down to the runners of this site to put it up there, though.

Anyway, don't think you're way too wrong with your opinions on SWP either. I'm just undecided. But totally agree that the best move for him is away from chelsea to a club like us. As said, not entirely convinced that he's good enough for us. IF he can maintain that form he's had of late then he surely is, but if not he's not, IMO. And also I'd rather like Ribery... :D;)