Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

... Bent ... has he really proven to be that much better than Defoe? If the latter was playing 90 minutes week in week out even for the likes of Charlton you can guarantee he would still bang in the goals! ...

I agree with this - Defoe is a very good striker. Bent is not better, just different in style and with a different mix of abilities. The reason Spurs want him is because he'll able to play effectively with either Berbatov or Keane, whereas a Keane/Defoe partnership doesn't work that well, so when Berby is injured we're a bit stuffed.

If Villa bid for Defoe and he signs for you (no real idea how likely that is) I reckon Villa fans - including the doubters - would end up being well pleased with the goal-scoring results.

Dude, please try to keep this thread Villa related. I notice you've done your best there but as a Villa fan it can be irksome to keep reading about how you're certain Spurs going to sign every good English player ever.

And even if you do - great! They'll all leave for a proper big club after a couple of good seasons anyway. Spurs players always do.

Oh, and we've got a nice topic about Spurs' fantastic new kits in Off Topic. We'd all appreciate your thoughts in there...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I don't give a rats arse who Spurs are signing ...

I'm all for constructive discussion and criticisms etc that relate to VILLA and welcome any outside opinion, but this Spurs Spurs Spurs crap really gets on my tits...

Normally I wouldn't expect Villa fans to be interested in who Spurs are signing or not signing, but it just so happens this time around that both clubs seems to be interested in signing a lot of the same players (at least going by some of the players that have been mentioned in this thread), not to mention a seeming Villa interest in Defoe.

This being the case I've thought you might be interested in the occasional outside view/info/comment.

I haven't run down Villa, in fact I think you have a very good chance for top 7 (and maybe higher) next season, but I can't help it if Spurs end up signing a player or two that Villa fans would like. I'm sure Villa will end up signing a player or two that Spurs fans would like.

This being the case I've thought you might be interested in the occasional outside view/info/comment.

I haven't run down Villa, in fact I think you have a very good chance for top 7 (and maybe higher) next season, but I can't help it if Spurs end up signing a player or two that Villa fans would like. I'm sure Villa will end up signing a player or two that Spurs fans would like.

I appreciate and i assume others do as well, whilst some have a rather large chip off their shoulder ;)

but it just so happens this time around that both clubs seems to be interested in signing a lot of the same players.

Eh? Who exactly? Defoe and Bent? We have had no real confirmation about either clubs interest in either player. People putting 2+2 together, Bent lives in London + Spurs want him. If you get him great, if we get Defoe super. They are not the only 2 players in the universe, let alone MON's hitlist.

The point is, everything here is speculation, including your "95% certain" statements. Our club will announce any news as it comes in, as it did back in January with Carew and Young (who many were "95% certain" was going elsewhere). The entire purpose of this thread is to discuss potential Villa targets from the nuggets of info we get from shitrags and rumour sites. What I dont expect is "oh no you cant have him, he's going to Spurs" - when it flashes on SSN's breaking news bar I'll believe it, otherwise we can discuss whoever the hell we want. We wont sign everyone discussed in these hundreds of pages, but discussing their attributes is part of the process, as is trying to see where they would fit into OUR team.

You seem like an intelligent bloke and you've made your case about Bent/Defoe time and time again, it would be a pity if that was the full extent of your contribution. There are plenty of other fish in the sea, we only care about the ones being linked to VP not WHL thank you very much.

GlastonSpur, thanks for posting but leave it now please. Let's talk about Villa. Good luck for next season though.

OK.

I've tried to keep the focus on players/issues that are relevant to Villa, but which also happen to relate to Spurs ... but anyhow I'll maybe post again in a couple of weeks to compare notes on what has happened - or not happened - re. players that both Villa and Spurs fans are interested in.

Before I go, did I tell you about the HUGE signing that Spurs are ..... oh, never mind :winkold:

I think most of us like to see us on par with SPuds, after next season ....

the way glaston has posted makes me wonder if he and many people think we are on par with them now ....

some are getting worried at the 'new' villa ....

Not so sure about Viduka, stop-gaps aren't really much use to us anymore are they? I mean Sutton did well but now that we've 3 months to go player hunting I'd be surprised if MON went for too many old pros.

Although Distin on a free would be a good signing, I think you can always go for experience in defence over a youngling.

I think there is always room for a 'stop-gap' - just look at Man.Utd's use of Henrik Larrson for those 3 months.

I wouldn't discount stop-gaps entirely, but hopefully we won't have to rely on them anymore.

the way glaston has posted makes me wonder if he and many people think we are on par with them now ....

I agree!

GlastonSpur, thanks for posting but leave it now please. Let's talk about Villa. Good luck for next season though.

Before I go, did I tell you about the HUGE signing that Spurs are ..... oh, never mind :winkold:

You still don't quite get it do you!!? :)

Without doubt Ian, without doubt.

The thing is with Spurs in particular, they are just another club in London, who live in the shadow of their neighbours, quite an awful situation to be honest.

There will always be at least 2 teams from London better than them.

We are the undisputed dominant force, not only in the Country's second City, but the Midlands region. When this ride that Randy has got us on hits its peak we will be supernova, I have no doubts. None at all.

This, I believe, has a lot of people worried. Almost any of the big 4 would give for our location, dominance of a region and potential fan-base.

Awaken the sleeping giant that is Aston Villa and a lot of things will change in this league. No doubts.

here we go again just like january people debating,arguing and getting worried about the caliber of player we might or might not sign and in the end everyone will be more or less happy with who we get because at the end of the day martin o`neill knows more about managing and putting a football team together than any of us so just sit back and be positive o`neill came through in jan he will come through again.

here we go again just like january people debating,arguing and getting worried about the caliber of player we might or might not sign and in the end everyone will be more or less happy with who we get because at the end of the day martin o`neill knows more about managing and putting a football team together than any of us so just sit back and be positive o`neill came through in jan he will come through again.

If you don't want to bother yourself with transfer rumours, speculation and suggestions then may I suggest that you avoid any threads with Transfer Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions in the title!!

If you don't want to bother yourself with transfer rumours, speculation and suggestions then may I suggest that you avoid any threads with Transfer Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions in the title!!

A bit of grammar would be nice too :shock:

OK, so here's a question I've had. Clearly, everyone's more familiar with the players in England and some of the larger clubs in Europe... but I wonder, does anyone have any good info on any prospects from elsewhere? Players we could get maybe on the cheap (and who wouldn't mind being backups for a spell) that could develop into serviceable players and hopefully, stars? I know France is littered with quality players, but the area is so well scouted that the prices get driven up anyways. What about Germany? Or Turkey?

Essentially, lads that might not be that well known, but could provide an affordable lift? And for what it's worth, I'm sure the fellows in charge of the club are full aware, I just thought it might be interesting for this thread.

Living in the states and catching plenty of MLS matches, the only player I'm somewhat interested in is Ricardo Clark. He's young, he's got more pace than he knows what to do with, and as a holding midfielder, he fits a need. And I get the feeling he's ready for a new challenge. He's got everything you could want in a prospect, aside from a lack of quality competition. But if he could adapt, he could be a real find.

Any thoughts?

And breathe....... :o

The thing is with Spurs in particular, they are just another club in London, who live in the shadow of their neighbours, quite an awful situation to be honest.

We are the undisputed dominant force, not only in the Country's second City, but the Midlands region. When this ride that Randy has got us on hits its peak we will be supernova, I have no doubts. None at all.

This, I believe, has a lot of people worried. Almost any of the big 4 would give for our location, dominance of a region and potential fan-base.

Awaken the sleeping giant that is Aston Villa and a lot of things will change in this league. No doubts.

Whilst I agree in principle I hate to go off topic, and hate to say it but we are not the biggest supported club in the Midlands. Not even close....

Manchester United are.

Whilst I agree in principle I hate to go off topic, and hate to say it but we are not the biggest supported club in the Midlands. Not even close....

Manchester United are.

I don't think so. They may have fans all over the Midlands (gloryhunters) but to claim they're the biggest supported club in these parts is pushing it a bit.

Hmmm well the fact that more Man U fans live in the Midlands than Villa fans suggests to me that they are the biggest supported. Now IF we are toalking about biggest supported MIDLANDS teams, of course it's Villa.