Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Why are we all arguing, some think Defoe is a class plyer others dont its all about opinions and we are all entitled to them. Mine however is that Defoe is an awesome player and IF he joins Villa then I think him and Carew would be awesome together.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one know that a striker shouldn't be judged purely on goals scored as it sometimes gives the wrong impression. If so, John Carew will be a huge flop for Aston Villa as he won't score that many. However, I like it when a striker opens up for other players in the team. Look at Berbatov and Rooney, not the out and out poachers all the time, they often fill the role of a servant at times. Saying that, they are both world class and have chipped in with a fair chunk of goals this season.

I wanted us to sign Darren Bent but we got John Carew instead, fair enough he can be a very good player as well only if we use him right. MON is clearly going for the "big guy/target and small guy/poacher" partnership a la Koller/Baros and Crouch/Bellamy to name a few examples. Gabby fills the role of a poacher really, so does Moore, but none of them are developed enough. Relying on them could cause major upsets for our tally next season and we haven't scored enough goals this season.

Jermain Defoe also fits the role perfectly next to Carew, I have no problem admitting that at all. He would probably score between 12-16 league goals if he stayed fit. Problem is, I think he is way too similar to Moore/Gabby and why should we pay 10M for a player we already have? Either sign Bent or someone we didn't think we could sign, or don't bother.... like someone said, bring in Viduka as a replacement for Angel because if Defoe signs we will not have Moore or Gabby around for long and that would be a shame IMO.

Yes. His goals this season have directly earned Spuds 8 points. Without those points they are 10th

What a stupid argument.

You don't just take out his goals and say 'this is where they'd be'....it doesn't work like that.

Apparently not, when it suits.

Without the goals he scored in the league games he has played they would not have earned 8 points.

And conviniently forget the striker which would have played in his place, and probably scored more goals, leading them further up the table.

TRL who would you like to see as an alternative?

I think we need a powerhouse striker, not a squishy, pacy midget who cant score more then what we already have.

Now who is making up hypothetical situations because you know I am right?

You did again.

You took Defoe out of the team magically.

TRL is right, you have to take into account that Spurs wouldn't have played with 10 men if you take Defoe's contribution out...

And three against Dinamo Bucharest and Sevilla.

Dinamo Bucharest! If he can score against a european powerhouse like that, he must be good.

I think his goal against Sevilla was after he come on as a sub. Appearances as sub don't count, so goals as a sub don't count either. :winkold:

Well one minute penalties don't count but sub appearances do, even if it was an 87th minute substitution. Both camps in this argument shift the goal post so much it is beginning to become silly. Fact Defoe has consistently scored goals. Fact no villa player has since Yorke. Whether you want him here or not is the area to have an opinion on not the facts. But on the flip side stop quoting stats and passing them off as fact cos thats how these debates rage out of control.

Our top scorer has 10 in all comps. Defoe has 18.

We didn't get the benefit of playing in the UEFA Cup and a long cup run.

He got 10 league goals, compared to Gabby's 9....Gabby played on the right wing for most of the season and didn't take penalties.

I think the problem is we've concentrated on one season. Over the course of his career Defoes records reads:

Overall career totals

Apps Goals

Total 282 (79) 116

League 242 (68) 86

FA Cup 17 (5) 12

League Cup 17 (3) 15

Euro/Others 6 (3) 3

Make your own mind up whether this is good enough.

I've tried my hardest to make this legible. Failed miserably.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heck we ain't signed Defoe as yet..why all the arguin?!!

He's a quality player but IMHO doesn't bag enough of his chances..however if MON thinks he can finetune him into a potent goalscorer and a decent addition to the squad, then that will be good enough for me!

Heck we ain't signed Defoe as yet..why all the arguin?!!

He's a quality player but IMHO doesn't bag enough of his chances..however if MON thinks he can finetune him into a potent goalscorer and a decent addition to the squad, then that will be good enough for me!

Spot on for me, I've said over and over that I'd prefer Bent or Pizzaro or a number of different options. My point is simple in that MON is far from crazy to be interested in Defoe as he scores goals, always has, and Defoe himself is FAR from being the chump people are making out.

The funny thing is; are we even linked with Jermain Defoe or is it just 1+1 = transfer thinking?

The same with Darren Bent to Spurs. This fan of theirs said it was a sure thing however I can't see

a single article about it on the net except some fan blog similar to the one we have, where we are

constantly being linked with Eto'o and David Villa.

If it's not even on TribalFootball or 100%fans or whatever it is called, it's probably not in the air

right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here.

I got one question for you; are we smaller than Newcastle FC?

If it's not even on TribalFootball or 100%fans or whatever it is called, it's probably not in the air right now.

I'd say that it not being on there was an extremely positive thing. Means that it may have an element of truth to it.

The funny thing is; are we even linked with Jermain Defoe or is it just 1+1 = transfer thinking?

The same with Darren Bent to Spurs. This fan of theirs said it was a sure thing however I can't see

a single article about it on the net except some fan blog similar to the one we have, where we are

constantly being linked with Eto'o and David Villa.

If it's not even on TribalFootball or 100%fans or whatever it is called, it's probably not in the air

right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here.

I got one question for you; are we smaller than Newcastle FC?

No

So if we are not smaller than Newcastle, which is my point exactly, then why can't we aim a little higher????

Obafemi Martins - 10M

Michael Owen - 16 M

Albert Luque - 10M (don't care what he turned out to be, Sheva failed too)

Pat Kluivert - Free (the same as the above)

Alan Shearer - 15M

All pretty close to world-class when they signed them, at least Owen and Martins.

Newcastle have always been able to sign such players, regardless of Europe etc etc.

We have an excellent backroom staff and a great manager, they CAN persuade people to join us.