Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

I'd be absolutely delighted if we got Distin, for me him and Laursen would be brilliant together in the middle of our defence and it would be nicely balanced, Distin loves to bring the ball out and pass it so he could gel with Laursen very well,

Could he be thinking of Olly as RB like he plays Internationally?

I really hope not. Mellberg's distribution is woeful at the best of times, and I actually think his best days are behind him anyway. I'd sign Distin as his replacement. He's a quality centreback. Man City's defense is very good, and has been for a number of seasons since Distin arrived.

Maybe Mellberg could be cover for the injury prone Laursen?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you rely on Agbonlahor you are in a very dangerous position. Lets get clear here..Gabby is a prospect and a highly potential lad, but to put him in front of any player that has played World football for years is out of propotion!

Agbonlahor has done tremendous for us this season and I can see him get even better next season...BUT...is he going to be Villa first choice? His scoring rate isnt that good really and I for one feel that it would be too much pressure on the lad. He isnt any Wayne Rooney...

Agbonlahor is quick and good at positioning himself, but he is a little bit to easy for defenders to read because he is not a technical masterpiece.

Agbonlahor has had ONE great season...lets see where he goes from here. I would NOT rely on him and not wish for Villa to buy a more proven striker such as Darren Bent, Jermain Defoe or Michael Owen. These players do outplay Agbonlahor at the moment...but Agbonlahor has potential to be as big.

Steve Sidwell is set to sign for Chelsea.

What the hell is he thinking?

Signing that deal means ruining his career

Money talks.

He is not a proven international. Would McClaren put him straight in the England team if he went to Chelsea? He would be competing with Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Kalou, Makele (is he leaving?) for a central midfield position.

Terrible decision but I think he is over rated anyway.

That's the sad thing of course, but I imagine other clubs paying top dollar for him as he leaves on a free.

It's not like Sidwell arrives on 70K a week, he probably will get 35-50K. Other clubs could have given that

as well since he is a 7M player on a free. He just goes there because they are the biggest, sad, he isn't going

to play shit. Lampard, Mikel, Makelele, Essien, Ballack etc in the middle, good luck you ginger clearing in the woods

He'll play in Jan-Feb when half the Chelsea team are palying in the African Nations cup. Will be limited to Carling cup games otherwise and career will go same way of the likes of Bridge and SWP.

Allardyce signing for Newcastle in a couple of days it seems.

Guess we got a huge competitor for players such as Darren Bent in the summer. Wouldn't imagine Kevin Nolan playing for anyone but NUFC next season either ;)

There are some on her who claim we can sign players like Ronaldinho, and there are people who claim we can't sign better players than McShane and Gera.

We won't know anything before the summer of course, but please let's not sign players such as Hossam Ghaly!

There is a small piece in today's Daily Express linking us with Distin.

Sylvain Distin could be at Aston Villa next season a year after the club could have signed him.

Distin, now available on a free transfer from Manchester City, was on the verge of a £7 million move to Villa when David O'Leary was in charge, but chairman Doug Ellis pulled the plug on the deal because it was too expensive.

Now Martin O'Neill wants French defender Distin and new owner Randy Lerner will pay the £40,000-a-week wages he is demanding.

Portsmouth are also in the race for Distin, 29, but Villa will be favourites. The fact that he can get Distin on a free transfer also appeals to O'Neill because it enables him to spend up to £20m on other players.

Villa go to Bolton tomorrow unbeaten in 8 games, but O'Neill wants a top-six place and European football next season.

O'Neill would not comment on Distin but said: "Despite our goals against record looking not bad on paper, sometimes we have been pretty brittle."

Villa have a chance of getting into the UEFA Cup thanks to their good disciplinary record. If Spurs get the point they need to qualify for the UEFA cup directly, then Villa will go forward as England's nomination for the Fair Play place.

:)

fingers crossed

i would absolutely love to see him here, would improve us greatly and send city even closer to relegation

i have a sneaky feeling that he will go Pompey though, IF they get europe, as he's 29 i imagine he's pretty desperate for european football