Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

... Seriously? Ok he's got pace, but no final ball. In the two recent England matches he had poor distribution and woeful crosses. Even on Sunday he looked good running at defenders, but never had a telling pass/shot at the end. Milner does have this although not quite the pace.

I'd have Milner over Lennon anyday.

In one of those England matches he was played on the left (to accomodate Lampard in CM, with Gerrard being displaced into RM), whereas he's far stronger on the right. In any case, how many England players played better than him in those two games?

I've seen Lennon play lots and he has much, much more to his game than just pace, acceleration and an ability to beat/go round/past players.

If you'd prefer Milner, then fair enough, but I do wonder how many neutrals would agree with you.

BTW, good luck in the match tonight ... Villa will be doing Spurs a big favour if they can stop Everton from leap-frogging us into 6th place.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MansonAVFC - Bringing up the first team stats of a 21yr old is pointless, sorry. He's still very young and has never had an extended run in the team. At the end of the day, it's just opinions. I think he's good enough, you don't. Who knows what MON thinks? Regardless, those stats prove nothing.

I've just heard from a mate who knows Phil Bardsley that he could be on his way to either Blackburn or Bolton at the end of the season. He wants to stay t'up North if possible apparently. This appears to mean that MON doesn't really rate him and a move to us doesn't really seem on the cards. I'm sure if he had impressed MON he would already have a deal in place to snap him up or would at least be negotiating one for him at present. I reckon he will really have to pick up his game and show us what he can do for MON to be interested in him now. I wouldn't be bothered anyway as I think we should look for better, not sure who though.

Its irrelevant 66 appearances, 11 goals not good enough imo

how is it irrelevant? do you not take into consideration that he is only 21 years old and untill last season he has been making sub appearances (usually the last 15-20 minutes in a game) to gain first team experience.

Last season was the first one you could really class him as a first team player and in 15 starts upfront he scored 8 premiership goals.

Thats the same as the expensive baros and more than angel has scored in the last 3 seasons.

This season playing as a left winger he still managed to score 2 in 7 and play an important part in our unbeaten run.

My ideal side for next season:

GK: NEW PLAYER (eg Gordon)

DL: Bouma

DR: NEW PLAYER

DC: Mellberg / Laursen

DC: NEW PLAYER

MR: NEW PLAYER / Gabby

ML: Barry / Maloney

MC: NEW PLAYER / McCann

MC: Young / Petrov / Berger

SC: Carew / Moore

SC: NEW PLAYER (eg Bent)

^ thats 6 new signing at least.. I think there will be even more than that.

Quality not quantity!

because we've got a lot of it at the moment havent we? im sure they will all be quality signings or young players with bags of potential.

im sure they will all be quality signings or young players with bags of potential.

Isn't it the young players with bags of potential that we're all looking to replace in our team at the moment?

^ thats 6 new signing at least.. I think there will be even more than that.

Quality not quantity!

Quality AND quantity please :nod:

Our young players dont show that much potential when you compare with young players out there. Cahill and Gabby aside, who else has the kind of potential that can take them to the level we want to be at?

Our young players dont show that much potential when you compare with young players out there. Cahill and Gabby aside, who else has the kind of potential that can take them to the level we want to be at?

I would say Maloney, Young, Gardner and Moore. I don't think Osbourne or Ridgewell should be written off either.

Which young players out there do you think we should be looking at who show more potential?

Luke, Gardner and Ozzy have the potential of those already with regular reserve experience.

Lund, Olejnik, Steiber and Williams of the next crop too for me.

I really think our main priority is our defence. I would switch Mellberg to Right Back, go out tooth and nail to sign Woodgate (he is a leader, will lead the line, intelligent and pacey) and also put in a cheeky bid for Wes Brown (pace, strenth and can also read teh game well).

A defensive midfielder - I don't know who yet cause I am still thinking about it.

And a striker to run off Carew - D Bent or Defoe

My team;

-------------------------------------- Sorenson--------------------------------------

Mellberg ----------------Brown------------------Woodgate--------------Bouma

--------------------------------------Don't know yet--------------------------------

---------------------Petrov-------------------------------------Barry---------------

----------------------------------------Maloney / Berger--------------------------

------------------------------D Bent -----------------------Carew-------------------

If you could have one player in the summer and one only who would it be????

For me i think Joey Barton - We cry out for a nasty midfielder who could pull us together.... he is a tosser at times but surely he would improve us vastly!!!

Guest VillaFan1

One thing i realise when i watch CL games is the quality they have like watching liverpool last night !

They got links with the likes of Eto Mascherano who they have now signed and other big names yet we get links with the likes of MCshane from west brom ?

Is it me or can no one see the massive difference in links and quality.

Yes links are only links but to be honest i cant remember we were linked with a big star.

Yes links are only links but to be honest i cant remember we were linked with a big star.

How do you define a big star? In the last few weeks we've been linked with the likes of Bellamy, Bent, Keane, Defoe, Koné. Plus we've signed John Carew who has spent nearly his whole career at some of the biggest clubs in Europe. The above are all internationals, four with Champions League experience...Does that mean they are big stars?

If you want us to be linked with the likes of Klose, Eto'o, Torres, Kaka et al then tough. It's not going to happen.

To be perfectly honest, I don't care if they are a 'big star' or not. As long as they are the sort of player who can move us up to the next level I don't care if we end up buying them from Barcelona or Bury.

One thing i realise when i watch CL games is the quality they have like watching liverpool last night !

They got links with the likes of Eto Mascherano who they have now signed and other big names yet we get links with the likes of MCshane from west brom ?

Is it me or can no one see the massive difference in links and quality.

Err they are a big club at the moment, play regular european football and are regular top 4 finisher's.

Why the hell would we be linked with Eto'o, why would he come here.

Carew came here because he wasn't playing for Lyon, Eto'o thinks he is billy big bollocks and is playing for Barca a club top of the league.

We won't be realistically linked with players like that for years yet.

How do you define a big star? In the last few weeks we've been linked with the likes of Bellamy, Bent, Keane, Defoe, Koné. Plus we've signed John Carew who has spent nearly his whole career at some of the biggest clubs in Europe. The above are all internationals, four with Champions League experience...Does that mean they are big stars?

If you want us to be linked with the likes of Klose, Eto'o, Torres, Kaka et al then tough. It's not going to happen.

To be perfectly honest, I don't care if they are a 'big star' or not. As long as they are the sort of player who can move us up to the next level I don't care if we end up buying them from Barcelona or Bury.

Agree totally with this, look at some of the better players from the current premiership and it's history and you will see that when they signed for their respective clubs they were not 'stars'. The fee paid for some automatically dictated it but that is a different point.

If MO'N spots Joe Bloggs playing in Africa to take the DM role who we've never heard of then so be it.