December Optimism Gauge

maqroll

Thats more than a fair question so being realistic within our next five games I'd say two wins against Stoke and Wigan plus a point against one of Spuds, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Seven points in total but I'd also like to remind you that I have recently praised Lambert for his signing of both Westwood and Benteke, the latter who I was very wrong about.

7 points it is - thanks for answering.

2 wins needed to reach that now - Wigan should be a definite win and we might do Liverpool over, as they appear to be pretty inconsistent.

Still think we'll be no higher than 17th once the window opens.

Think I'll be more optimistic after January.

Maybe not but things are definitely starting to look up - a very encouraging performance yesterday from the young lads.

Parts were encouraging but our complete lack of any sort of decent attack was actually more worrying than encouraging.

We are probably the worst attacking team in the league.

Don't forget who we were playing though - 2nd best defence in the league and the most anti-football team going. We weren't bereft of ideas though, we were trying hard to break through and Benteke had a couple of decent chances.

The only positive I took was that Stoke paid us the compliment of coming for a 0-0 draw. While we worked hard, There was little to suggest we had the quality or creativity to challenge their game plan.

I don't. I think they came looking to counter attack and sneak a 1-0 or 2-0 win. I think they totally underestimated our young defence and midfield and we gave them a really tough physical game. Such a shame we lack the cutting edge.

I'm still positive we can turn things around although we don't appear to have turned a corner just yet. However the green shoots are starting to show - we look more solid as a unit and the experience will do our young side the world of good. If Bannan is the lynchpin of our side, I expect him to improve further once he has cut out the wild passing from his game, he has the drive to go forward but sometimes fails to pick out the simple moves. We haven't capitulated either since the Man City game so on a defensive front I think there has been real progress. Westwood is becoming more and more of a class act and I think he will continue to keep El Ahmadi (who has been really dire) out of the team for the foreseeable future.

I'm still really concerned with our attacking "threat" though; we never really tested the Stoke keeper on Saturday and its been the story of our season. Holman seems to be the only one who will shoot from range. Others really do need to start taking a bit of the goalscoring pressure off Benteke as he is raw and has shown that he won't put them all away.

The season really hangs on Randy Lerner however and I hope he does the right thing and give Lambert a substantial war chest to spend, as this is probably the worst Villa team I have seen and needs substantial investment. He's done his cutbacks, now its time to back his manager.

As things stand, if we make no signings in January we will stay in a relegation fight for the whole season, and most definitely get dragged right into it, as you can be sure that other teams around us will strengthen or go on runs that we can't with this current squad. Its too raw, inexperienced and lacks in quality. 4 or 5 experienced heads will be vital to get us marching up the table and take the pressure off this youth team we currently have masquerading as a Villa side. I'm expecting at least 3 new players in January. One of them has to be an experienced centre-mid who can get stuck in and create chances.

• Like 1

Â