Legal advice regarding court summons

dAVe80

I prosecute for a Local Authority so can help a bit....

1.you can write to the court and plead guilty, but if you can attend you should. Wear a suit, shine your shoes. Plead guilty. Apologise. And then lay on your reasons with a trowel. One of your kids was ill, your mum was dying, your wife's left you, whatever, but give some mitigation as to why you didn't stop/report it. (although if you've told plod something, stick to that make sure your story matches.) basically just be the most pathetic individual you can possibly be without being annoying. Works for my defendants every time. :-(

2. How long is a piece of string... Depends on the mood of the bench on the day and whatever mitigation you give.

3. Either in Court at the 1st hearing or by post, same thing. It's an automatically discount in the sentence, but generally you get more credit if you attend in person.

4. If you want, it will cost, you won't get legal aid so I sort of think why bother except a decent brief will defend you better than our ever will. They are great at making you look like a massive waste of skin. Which is what you want then to do.

Good luck.

Spot on mate, this is exactly what I was looking for! Really appreciate it.

Check your motor insurance policy, it may be that you paid for extra for legal expenses without knowing. If you have got legal expenses cover it normally comes with motor prosecution defence. This can be used to either defend a case or in the form of a guilty plea, provide cover for mitigating circumstances should your license be at risk. The insurers will provide legal advise (not that detailed in all honestly) and if necessary and cover is applicable they can appoint a solicitor on your behalf. As others have said it will be basically the solicitor making you sound pathetic etc

I recently got caught by a speed radar and got the letter through. I sent that off admitting I was driving and was expecting a course. I got another letter saying I was getting points and a fine. No course offer.

Naturally I had the hump so I called the police speed camera people and they said I'd missed my licence number off the form (which is so badly designed and overcrowded I'm not surprised) but the girl said if I e-mailed those details to her she'd reset the information and I'd get the offer of a course. Delighted!

Might be worth double checking that there hasn't been an administrative error or something, unless you know that a court appearance is standard in this situation.

Cheers NurembergVillan, will defo check if that is the case.

Jimzk5, It'll be ok. I'll just tell them I'm not a homosexual. I'm sure they'll be very understanding about it, and be most embarrassed about their mistake.

Â