Renting - need some advice

MCU

I've always put renting off and swore not to do it but I really want to move out now and feel this is my only option. My girlfriend would move in with me but she's gone back to college and is a student full time so earns no income. The money going out would be all down to me. Now I'm just after the sort of costs at the moment on top of the monthly renting fee. The flat we are looking at the moment is £460 so that's a start. Are any of you currently renting?

As a rough guide your probably looking at the following.....

council tax £80 to £100 depending where your living

gas/elec £60 to £80

water £30

tv license £12

You will probably have to pay ground rent to the landlord for upkeep of the comunial areas of the flats but this wont be very much. The rest is down to you and the extra luxuries you want. A basic sky tv and broadband package will be £40 with the phone line. if you shop wise for food you can do it cheap, i feed 3 of us for about £45 a week.

Renting atm as I've got no chance of getting a mortgage, my out goings are £780 a month

Rent - 500

Council tax - 100

Sky - 45

Tv license - 12

Water, gas, elrctric - 100

Always over budget by £100, and you will get a reduced rate council tax for single occupant, and sky is a luxuary.

Single-occupancy discount usually applies if there are other occupants but they're all in full-time education.

I think this can change depending on your local authority, so you might want to double check.

And don't forget the estate agent fees, you have to pay for a credit check per person can be anything from £100 to £150 each then 2 months rent up front plus half again for a security deposit, you need about £1200 to cover the initial cost of moving in. The costs of the credit checks are non refundable too so if you pay for them then decide not to go through with it you lose the money, and you will have to pay again if you go for a different property.

Jim, I would be living with my girlfriend. Would that still count as single occupant if I am only one paying out?

No, the council will want money for her too. Its not that much more though i have a 3 bed house with 3 of us living here and i pay £113 per month for 10 months then get 2 months off.

I rent a one bed flat in Four Oaks

Rent £525

Council Tax c£90 (can't remember exact figure)

Water £40

Electricity £100

Phone/Broadband £30

TV Licence £12

Deposit will be 6-8 weeks rent. Also factor in contents insurance, food shopping etc as well.

You won't have to pay the ground rent or maintenance as that is usually built into your rent.

Ah, Ok. Are you renting your house, Andy?

No i bought my house in April this year. I rented previous to this though and got really pist off with paying someone elses mortgage so i moved back to my moms for 3 years and saved everything i could and with a bit of help from my family i had good deposit. I pay £416 per month for my mortgage

You might be eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefits also if your GF is a student, but I'm not sure having never claimed either. Worth looking into.

I'm not sure if one them is in full time work you qualify for either, I may be wrong but I'm under the impression if you work over 16 hours a week you don't get either benefit. working tax credits may be an option if your a low earner and income support too, but with this new universal credit the peramaters have changed.

£1200 net? It'll be tough mate, that much is true, but if you make sacrifices I'm sure it can work.

Any chance of your mrs getting a part time job to help out?

It's a big step mate, id recommend having. Break Clause in your contract where you can terminate it after 6 months incase things aren't working, my income is similer to yours but I'm self employed so I need to know that if I don't work worse case I hand in the keys and move back in with my old dear. If you budget accordingly you could do it, if you budget £750 for bills, £200 shopping and the costs of running a car if you have one or cost of getting to work.

cheers lads. Girlfriend does have a part time job on a Saturday but only earns £30 so not much. I just don't want to restrict myself too much. I don't drink and don't smoke. I mostly spend my own time staying in and playing games like a geek! ;-) but of course as you say there is other expenses like my car, clothes, etc

Â