Damned if we do, damned if we don't?

dAVe80

Just a point I'd like to make, and gage opinion on. Does anyone else feel that Villa get it in the neck, no matter how we play, or the perceived direction the club is going in? Last season we get told we're not patient enough, fickle, and want things too quickly, yet now we've got a manager, who the vast majority of us back, and are willing to give time to, we're getting told we lack ambition, and a club like Villa should be aiming higher.

In certain sections of the media, I've heard that we lack quality, and that we're streets behind where we used to be. True as this may be, what exactly do they expect us to say to that? Plus it's just stating the bloody obvious!

We're not going to get back into the top echelons of the table quickly, without a large injection of cash are we? So we build slowly and and take it a bit at a time. We want to see a gradual improvement, which is what I think we're going to get. Yet for some pundits, this is seen as not good enough. The same pundits who slammed us last season for not giving McLeish time. Make your bloody minds up!

Having listened to a few phone ins, read a few match reports, and listened to and read a few of the pundits comment, I get the impression that we as a club, and in particular the fans just can't win.

I agree, it is annoying. Last season the media kept on going about how the squad was really poor and that McLeish was doing so well and that we needed wholesale change. Lambert's come in and brought in 8 new players and now our squad is too "young" and "inexperienced". The media just love to have a pop at us, especially after how we were perceived to have treated their golden boy McLeish.

Is anybody referring to radio WM? The rare time I listen to that station we're always in crisis according to them. They use the Talksport tactic to rile fans. It's strange that we're blamed for not supporting previous managers and then labelled as unambitious when we give our current manager time.

Is anybody referring to radio WM? The rare time I listen to that station we're always in crisis according to them. They use the Talksport tactic to rile fans. It's strange that we're blamed for not supporting previous managers and then labelled as unambitious when we give our current manager time.
Depends on the manager. I don't remember Houllier getting a great deal of support. McLeish on the other hand got sucked up to more than any Villa manager I can remember (even O'Neill). I can see the media turning on Lambert soon to be honest.

Ah another, The Media Hate Us rant. They don't hate us, they just spin the story whichever way will sell their product. Football news in whatever form it is (BBC excepted) is just a means to get an audience for adverts, even the BBC care about audience share though.

The more you get irate about whatever it is they've said, the more they win.

Best just to ignore and back your own judgement

There are a few football writers this doesn't apply to but in the main its the truth

WM was one of the the phone ins I listened to. Paul Franks in particular, seems to have a massive downer on us.

Ah another, The Media Hate Us rant. They don't hate us, they just spin the story whichever way will sell their product. Football news in whatever form it is (BBC excepted) is just a means to get an audience for adverts, even the BBC care about audience share though.

There are a few football writers this doesn't apply to but in the main its the truth

No it's not a "Media Hate Us rant" at all. I'm taking into account the opinions of fans of other clubs into this too. I fully understand how the media works, and I understand the need to spin things, to make the story (often out of nothing). It's just something I've noticed, this weekend in particular, that's started to irk me a little, and I wondered if others had the same feeling.

WM was one of the the phone ins I listened to. Paul Franks in particular, seems to have a massive downer on us.

I think WM is a Black Countray station and BRMB was the station for Villa and small heath. It was quite pathetic how hysterically they discussed Bent not starting the match.

We have a chairman who doesn't talk - and whilst I rate Lambert highly - he isn't the cuddly media friendly manager that MON was.

Pretty much though - its how its always been. I remember travelling back from Highbury having just been crowned league champions - but the big story of the night was Liverpool qualifying for Europe for 7th consecutive year ..or something like that.

TBH we have a great manager now - who is assembling a very exciting side on nominal cash - if he succeeds - the chairmen of those big spending clubs are going to be asking questions - so yeah they want to put us down. balls to em - !

[i didn't get where I am today - without knowing a quality side being assembled when I see it]

No it's not a "Media Hate Us rant" at all. I'm taking into account the opinions of fans of other clubs into this too. I fully understand how the media works, and I understand the need to spin things, to make the story (often out of nothing). It's just something I've noticed, this weekend in particular, that's started to irk me a little, and I wondered if others had the same feeling.

And what do you think those fans of other clubs who also participate (more than even just listening!) form their opinions from? It's a self perpetuating cycle... Not only that, the producers of those programmes tend to pick the participants for a particular reason. And on it goes... like the merryground that doesn't stop

Who cares what the media says?

Who cares what other fans think? (though the discussion with the better informed of those other fans is what makes football worthwhile sometimes)

And what do you think those fans of other clubs who also participate (more than even just listening!) form their opinions from? It's a self perpetuating cycle... Not only that, the producers of those programmes tend to pick the participants for a particular reason. And on it goes... like the merryground that doesn't stop

Who cares what the media says?

Who cares what other fans think? (though the discussion with the better informed of those other fans is what makes football worthwhile sometimes)

Yes I agree with the point you're making. For instance it's a constant source of amusement, that Adrian Durham and Darren Gough manage to get up so many people's noses, by basically agreeing which side of the argument to take, prior to going on air. However as the media is part of the game, it's impossible to ignore for a lot of people who watch it. Good or bad, a lot of opinions are made, based on the what peopl read, hear or watch. As much as I try not to let it get to me, I dislike the fact that myths get perpetuated, and no body ever seems to set the record straight.

Yeah but why do you care? I'm genuinely interested because I know I'm in an extreme minority but I couldn't give a **** what happens in the media, what fans of other teams think, what "professional knobheads" think, it matters very little to me.

For example I used to really enjoy 606 when Danny Baker (and Danny Kelly) invented it, it was much like VT in some respects, all opinions catered for but most of all it was for the fans by the fans, I remember one evening a lower league club chairman phoned up and Danny Baker just cut him off dead, told him straight, it was a fans show and he wasn't a fan he was on the other side... it's nowhere near like that now. People came on, talked about their experiences, were genuinely funny and interesting, now its just a shitty contrived producer / presenter controlled piece of shite, it's worthless. It's like the worst aspects of a forum like VT without any of the good bits. Danny Baker must be turning in the grave he luckily escaped from

I'm of the same opinion in most respects. What the likes of Adrian Durham, Robbie Savage, Micky Quinn, Paul Franks etc, have to say, has zero impact on my life in general. However when I hear people repeating their crap, as if it was the gospel, it just makes me wonder how we can fight against it? For example, Villa fans have got a massive reputation as being fickle. Yes, some Villa fans can rightly be accused of being fickle, but no more so than any other set of fans. This is a stereotype the media latched onto, and because of this, it's used as a stick to beat us with, at every opportunity.

I've long since accepted, that we'll never get the coverage or be as popular in the media, as the usual suspects, and I really don't care about that. What I do care about, is when the club, and us the fans get ran down in the media, usually by people who haven't got a clue what's happening at Villa and then the rest of the country / football world, take that as the official line.

You need to get to the past caring stage like me. I couldn't care what people say, certainly not the media. The media only works because people care, stop caring and it all falls apart. They play on you caring, the less you care about what they say, the less everyone cares about what they say and they'll be forced to change or not exist. You either play their game or walk away. Play their game and they win, walk away and they are forced to change. The more people totally ignore them the more chance we have of getting a decent media but on the other hand we also have to take the punters along with us (which I guess I'm trying to do here).

Who gives a shit what they think or spout, I only care about what happens on the pitch.

That said, I'd love to give Durham a good poke in the eye for being a word removed.

You're only half way there. Adrian who?

Â