Del Piero to Sydney FC - Confirmed

Banger75

WOW. Even as a supporter of the A-League, this is massive. I'm certain he could have got much more than $2m a season anywhere else.

:shock:

I'm guessing Christian Vieri had something to do with this...

Good call maqroll.....I'm pretty sure Vieri owns a restaurant in Sydney. Also, Sydney FC goalkeeping coach is ex-socceroo Zelko Kalac, who spent about 4 years at Milan, and also our man Benito Carbone who spent a season playing for Sydney FC.

In the 'old' Australian NSL, one of the biggest clubs was Marconi Stallions - a club with Italian roots based in Sydney's western suburbs. They had some guest appearances over the years by Italian players, so still have some strong links.

• 2 weeks later...

Heskey confirmed for the Newcastle Jets and now the new Western Sydney team looking like signing Ballack.

Old farts for sure, but it's great publicity for the game, and also shows that lifestyle factors can be influential for players towards the end of their careers - that and the fact that it's only a 28 game season or similar.

Poor old Emile won't know what he's in for. He'll get a bruised arse from the hardness of the Aussie pitches in summer!

Â