Japanese knotweed

trekka

This stuff is evil. I spent most of the morning yanking it out from where it invaded my terrace. It was like the day of the triffids!

I've read the horror stories of it embedding itself into concrete, etc, so cue a rather snotty email to the estate management company. I mean just how exactly does Japanese knotweed manage to find itself into some big planters adjoining my terrace? The planters are on the 2nd floor! Gggrrr! We were told last summer that the problem had been sorted but oh no, the only thing that will get rid of this stuff it seems is napalm.

Anybody have any tips, etc apart from snotty emails to the management company? It isn't my job to get rid of the stuff as it is coming from the communal planters but surely it is a big problem when it starts invading other areas :(

First, its a controlled waste so its an offence to take it to a regular tip. Tipping controlled waste other than at a licensed tip is a criminal offence.

Apart from that minor warning, its the devils own work to remove it. Just digging out the roots won't do it, you need to also dig out a meter all around the limits of the current growth.

Actually, it is legal to grow it in tubs because it spreads by its roots and not by blown seed.

if we find it on a building site it can cost thousands, depending on which company you use to remove it most will say if you find one plant you have to excavate at least 1m x 1m x 1m around it, some will say more and im sure the official recommendations say you should only excavate as a last resort but we dont have time to piss about

the majority of weed killers will do absolutely **** all, im sure to kill it you have to spend months painting the leaves with expensive stuff

and ive seen it grow through a concrete slab in a new built school

Cheers for the good news :( Snotty email to the management company sent. I'm half expecting the standard reply: "Thanks for your concerns...". As I say, they did state that they eradicated the problem last year but knotweed being knotweed and all, I'm pretty sure it was it disappearing because it was the winter rather than anyone controlling it.

satgig: you'll be pleased to hear that the stuff I torn from my terrace ended up back in the planter from where it came.

You can inject the stems to kill it but it's an expensive and time consuming affair

Try petrol and a match - cheaper and more spectacular

with the added tension of trying not to end up looking like simon weston

Â