Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Newcastle have been awful most of the season.

They were awful against us, it was our poor formation that allowed them so much space and freedom that first half.

This result could really start to panic their players. They may be in big trouble.

Who are we going to get as a better manager than Lambert in the championship?

I'd imagine for championship level we'd be able to attract better managers than any club at the same level.

Yeah i agree.. however that didnt answer my question..  will they be better than Lambert? Who is it?

Positives and negatives for me and it still leaves me unsure of what the future can hold under Lambert. I really hoped that by this point I'd be well convinced that Lambert would be the right man for us.

That's a fair enough assessment I think - I'm a bit more positive on him than you are I suspect and for me there are two reasons for persisting - firstly, we need to build some sort of stability and I certainly don't think he's harmful in the same way as the previous manager, and secondly for McLeish, my feeling is that the first half of his season wasn't bad and the second half got worse whereas for Lambert, it feels like we've improved in the second half of the season - in my head, that forms a big curve with the current end pointing upwards - it might not actually be true, I haven't checked whether it stacks up in terms of the stats, but it's how it seems to me.

It'd be a lot easier to have faith in having the right man if we had another three or four points though - these are fine margins and I suspect they're gong to be very important.

Nice post and I don't disagree with any of it ... however, even if we do go down I really like the way Lambert is going about sorting this team out. I do actually have a lot of confidence in him and whereas the next 4 games are going to be decisive in the majority of peoples minds as to whether he is a success or not, even if we go down I'd really want Lambert to stay and finish off the job he has started.

IMO Lamberts weakness is the defensive capabilities of the teams he puts out. Despite improvements in other areas this problem persists. If Lambert could get 2 clean sheets in the next 4 games, that would probably keep us safe......but I don't see that happening.........nor do I expect a watertight defense next season

I'd imagine for championship level we'd be able to attract better managers than any club at the same level.

Yeah i agree.. however that didnt answer my question..  will they be better than Lambert? Who is it?

I'm not entirely sure. If we're relegated our we classing Lambert as that good? We'll be a massive club at that level.

Positives and negatives for me and it still leaves me unsure of what the future can hold under Lambert. I really hoped that by this point I'd be well convinced that Lambert would be the right man for us.

That's a fair enough assessment I think - I'm a bit more positive on him than you are I suspect and for me there are two reasons for persisting - firstly, we need to build some sort of stability and I certainly don't think he's harmful in the same way as the previous manager, and secondly for McLeish, my feeling is that the first half of his season wasn't bad and the second half got worse whereas for Lambert, it feels like we've improved in the second half of the season - in my head, that forms a big curve with the current end pointing upwards - it might not actually be true, I haven't checked whether it stacks up in terms of the stats, but it's how it seems to me.

It'd be a lot easier to have faith in having the right man if we had another three or four points though - these are fine margins and I suspect they're gong to be very important.

Nice post and I don't disagree with any of it ... however, even if we do go down I really like the way Lambert is going about sorting this team out. I do actually have a lot of confidence in him and whereas the next 4 games are going to be decisive in the majority of peoples minds as to whether he is a success or not, even if we go down I'd really want Lambert to stay and finish off the job he has started.

For me I just can't get behind this thinking. If we go down then he really hasn't sorted the team out. He's lowered the wage bill and got us relegated, I think I could have achieved that.

Which I think will be the majority of people's opinions and I can't argue.

He has however got the best out of Weimann, Agbonlahor and Guzan. He has bought 2 expensive players (El Ahmadi) and so has a 50% success record so far when given money. His cheap signings have been very hit and miss though this is to be expected. Westwood and Lowton have the potential to be very good Premiership players which is a testament as to where they have come from.

I think if Lambert were to play this whole season again knowing what he knows now about your squad and with the players having the experience of this season behind them then we would be a very comfortable midtable team which will be an excellent foundation from which to push on. It is for this reason I'd like to give him at least another 2 years.

I'm not entirely sure. If we're relegated our we classing Lambert as that good? We'll be a massive club at that level.

Yeah but its been a tough gig. He has had to slash the wage bill and we had a horror injury run which didnt help through XMAS period. Some positive signs in the last 6-8 games or so. He was great at Norwich in the lower leagues.. i dont know any manager who would drop to the championship or currently in the championship who would be a better option.

Heres hoping we stay up and with the new prize money.. he gets 30 million to spend and correct the wrongs in our squad.

newcastle are in trouble.

West Ham are in form, so next week they'll probably lose. then a away game QPR, who will be already relegated, so winnable last day home to Arsenal in CL ticket battle.

they can get 40 points, but this is not the time to be out of form

They are the stoke or Sunderland of a few weeks back - they got the wins to turn it around - and I feel Newcastle will. Like Sunderland and Stoke they have good players playing badly. That isn't the problem at villa - we don't have enough good players.

Despite today I feel Newcastle will pull a rabbit from the hat when they need it - probably next week.

I think if Lambert were to play this whole season again knowing what he knows now about your squad and with the players having the experience of this season behind them then we would be a very comfortable midtable team

Not sure about that.

I don't think this same team would suddenly be good at defending just because of a bit of experience. I think we'd once again concede far too many and this would result in us being down there again.

Yeah but its been a tough gig. He has had to slash the wage bill and we had a horror injury run which didnt help through XMAS period. Some positive signs in the last 6-8 games or so. He was great at Norwich in the lower leagues.. i dont know any manager who would drop to the championship or currently in the championship who would be a better option.

Heres hoping we stay up and with the new prize money.. he gets 30 million to spend and correct the wrongs in our squad.

Horror injury run ? - Vlaar and Gabby over the whole season ? - I actually think we have been pretty lucky with injuries (if you accept the fact that you will get some injuries over the course of the season)

For me I just can't get behind this thinking. If we go down then he really hasn't sorted the team out. He's lowered the wage bill and got us relegated, I think I could have achieved that.

Which I think will be the majority of people's opinions and I can't argue.

He has however got the best out of Weimann, Agbonlahor and Guzan. He has bought 2 expensive players (El Ahmadi) and so has a 50% success record so far when given money. His cheap signings have been very hit and miss though this is to be expected. Westwood and Lowton have the potential to be very good Premiership players which is a testament as to where they have come from.

I think if Lambert were to play this whole season again knowing what he knows now about your squad and with the players having the experience of this season behind them then we would be a very comfortable midtable team which will be an excellent foundation from which to push on. It is for this reason I'd like to give him at least another 2 years.

KEA wasn't expensive .. If I'm not mistaken Lowton was more expensive ..

newcastle are in trouble.

West Ham are in form, so next week they'll probably lose. then a away game QPR, who will be already relegated, so winnable last day home to Arsenal in CL ticket battle.

they can get 40 points, but this is not the time to be out of form

They are the stoke or Sunderland of a few weeks back - they got the wins to turn it around - and I feel Newcastle will. Like Sunderland and Stoke they have good players playing badly. That isn't the problem at villa - we don't have enough good players.

Despite today I feel Newcastle will pull a rabbit from the hat when they need it - probably next week.

I disagree. If our attack of Weimann, Gabby and Benteke (which is easily one of the league's best outside the top 4) are all on form then we should stay up comfortably. I think we have the players to stay up I'm just not sure we have the mental toughness.

That scouse result has helped us. Geordies have worst defence now so if we finish level on points and level on goal difference. We will be above them as they have conceded more than us. Come on villa. Bash the mackems. Bash the canaries. Then it's hey ho hey ho up the table we go

This is how I feel.

tumblr_m8famn8YF11rxu0xpo1_400.gif

But, after today's results...

Are Wigan the shark and we're Batman?

Or are we the shark and Newcastle are Batman? (With Norwich and Sunderland as Robin and Batgirl)

What a weird analogy. 

• Like 1