What tech blogs/podcasts/video shows do you like?

The_Rev

Just out of curiosity more than anything else. My pool of "go to" sites are all American, and while that doesnt matter too much as tech news is fairly global (in the western world sense of the word at least) I was curious as to what was out there.

The main two sites I use are The Verge which is a straight up Tech news site, and Tested.com which is a weird little site that sits in an area for fans of tech, science, games and coffee.

I like tech podcasts too. I dont really like The Vergecast, it has a phone in section and I **** hate phone ins. It's what people do to fill time when they cant think of anything better. I always catch the 90 Seconds on The Verge video though, mostly its linkbait for their site but its a nice little quick fix to the latest headlines.

I love the Tested podcast, This is only a test. It just makes me laugh, its far far far too pro Apple for its own good but I just really enjoy it.

I like This Week in Tech a lot too, though it really depends on which guests they have on. TWiT turns out a ton of content, more than anybody could watch or listen to in a week really but I have only really listened to the flagship show. It is enjoyable though, mostly news and opinion stuff but the host Leo Laporte seems so well connected in Silicon Valley that he can get some really interesting people in and not just 23 year old bloggers who have moved to San Francisco in the hope that they get a job with Google or Apple.

You have me totally hooked on the verge. Cant get enough of it. Now buying deciding to buy a podcast app to download their podcasts while I sleep so I have them the next day. The Verge is American and English, which is great. Also very funny.

I'd love to get some other gems like that. Cheers for pointing me to that Rev.

Some gold from This is only a test btw. It's always better when Gary Whitta is on, he isnt on as often at the moment because he is on paternity leave (not that they pay him, he appears as a guest for free most weeks.)

Stay away from NeoGAF, it is a horrible place

Was gonna say the Verge. It started appearing recently as the best place to keep up with Tech on Google+ links.

Conor, you really need to get on Google+ it's right up your alley. It's just people arguing about phones all day long. Just click on explore on the web site, or choose What's hot on the mobile app circles.

I prefer discussing with people I know like you guys. Last thing I need is more outlets for my rants and ramblings. :lol:

The Verge podcasts is another 3 hours of tech a week, should placate me. Especially with Prem starting up.

The Vergecast is on Thursdays, live at 10pm UK time.

The Verge mobile show is on Tuesdays, 9:30pm.

You should be able to find the mp3 versions the morning after.

The only consistent usage tech site I use is Tested. Following the move to Berman Braun and the Mythbusters tie in I was convinced the site was dead to me but it's done alright. Moved further away from tech now, it has more of a token presence/interest than it had before (podcast aside), but it's just an entertaining site.

They tend to obsess about things which can get a little tedious - Lego was a huge thing for 3 months, since the Mythbusters link up 'making' has become a tedious obsession (it's interesting, but they overkilled on it crazily fast). But the obsession to end them all is, as Rev says, Apple. The site is so Apple biased it's obscene. Criticism of Cupertino is always token.

That asides though, just a really great site for a geeky guy to enjoy. The podcast is a joy (even with the flaws), though as Rev points out, it suffers massively when token Brit Gary is away. One of my favourites moments -

I do use Engadget when I know theres big news or the like happening, but other than that my tech browsing could be better. I might give the Verge a whirl.

The Verge is great, I listened to Android Central podcast today, not bad. Worth a listen, bit more tech insight than the Verge with less humour.

I don't like Engadgets site anymore, what's the point of reviews without a score?

Isn't the argument that a number can't really provide any accurate/meaningful picture of something? Whereas description of the qualities of the product, and it's flaws, gives you a tangible reference of how good it is, which says far more than just a number.

The games press hate giving scores because peoples perception of the reviewers opinion is skewed by the number at the end of the review rather than the two or three thousand words that actually make up the review.

Number is helpful for people who don't want to read reviews of everything. I accept a number is very general, but something that is a 5 and something that is an 8 gives me a quick view of the sites opinion on 2 devices.

• 5 weeks later...

All About Android is quite good to pass the time when in the car.

The one that got me into podcasts was AndroidGuys and it was the one straight after the Google IO conference and it was really good. They then didnt do another until about 10 days ago and because there was only one guy in the studio and the other guests skyped in the audio was dreadful. I dont think they have done one since so they might get deleted of the list if they arent careful.

I used to use Google Listen for podcasts and I thought it did it quite well but Google have decided that there are better options out there and so are shutting it down. Well if I had a choice of using Google Listen or Google Reader I would choose the former every day. Google Reader is just awful.

Â