Fancy your next Xbox on contract?

Chindie

Well, maybe you could have one that way...

Microsoft is planning to launch a $99 Xbox console package with a monthly subscription as early as next week, according to our sources. The software giant will offer the 4GB console with a Kinect sensor at its range of Microsoft Stores in the US, subsidized with a monthly cost of $15. We're told that the two-year subscription will provide access to the Xbox Live Gold service and possibly some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers. Customers who sign-up for the deal will also be covered under a two-year warranty.

There will be an early termination fee for those wishing to break the contract ahead of its two-year duration, and we understand that Microsoft will position the package as a competitor to Apple TV, Roku, and PlayStation 3. For those buying the bundle now and getting the cheapest two-year Xbox Live Gold option, that's about $299.00 + $120 = $420 vs. $459 over a duration of two years. With E3 2012 on the horizon, and Microsoft working on a "Woodstock" music service — it's clear that the company wants to ensure as many people as possible have an Xbox in their living rooms.

Link

It's only a rumour at the moment but I could see them doing it. Tha main issues are that it's a 4gb console, which ain't great, and a 2 year contract on a console nearing it's end... though that is unlikely to bother the kind of person this is likely to be aiming at.

You do have to wonder what with Microsoft increasingly keen on making the Xbox more than just a games console, whether this is testing the waters for the next gen. This is unlikely to have the same impact in the UK however as Microsoft hasn't really bothered to chase media providers like it has in the US (and in some cases can't, TV being a bit different across the pond).

But still... interesting.

Possibly. At the moment I'd lean towards no but, dependant on the price on the next consoles and quite how well this does (given how limited it seems to have been, you can only get one from a Microsoft store, it's hamstrung from the word go...), maybe. If the next gen is coming out at big money, thats a hard sell at the moment, especially if, as expected, it's not going to be the huge leap forward many might have hoped for. It might be an easier sell to people with a one off down payment and a much smaller running contract. It's certainly an option worth exploring for MS.

A considerable part of this is Microsoft trying to get people on board with Live, they offer this thing with a Live subscription to get people to take to it as despite the 360 selling incredibly well over it's lifetime, theres still quite a small amount of Live users, which means theres a vast resource of customers Microsoft needs to grab.

Yah I saw this, it is a great way to market but it leads me to think I'll be a PS4 man next time around.

They are trying to be innovative but if this is part of the masterplan that also has them stopping second hand games then I am out.

I paid £80 for my 360 3 years ago, modded a harddrive for £30, created a wireless system for £12 and never pay much for games or my Xbox live subscription.

It used to be a reason for me to stay with Microsoft but if they take the open approach away I think a lot of people will leave.

You cant argue at their efforts to reach consumers and offerings to 'jump in'.

Â