Making/negotiating offers on a property

GarethRDR

Well, we've had an offer accepted at £130k which was our absolute maximum. Bit miffed we've gone that high, but another buyer had a higher offer accepted, so all the tactics had to go out the window (they're selling to us for a couple £k less because we can move faster, the other buyers are in a chain).

Just trying not to get too excited Eamesinho, I know there's still a 101 things that could still Unsworth the deal good 'n' proper. Must... avoid... decorating... websites...

Don't even think about that until you've exchanged.

Get the survey done - see what needs doing and use it to try and get the price down. If the Survey says it needs £2ks worth of work, try and get £5 off the asking price. :mrgreen:

Good stuff, we had a leasehold house once, put about 90% of the people off who came to look at it... fortunately we found a gullible first time buyer to overlook the importance of a rapidly expiring lease.

Never again.

• 11 months later...

apologies, for the hijack, although it's been 11 months so I hope all went well Gareth. 

I am currently looking at one bedroom places to rent and whilst initially would take anything that's reasonable, found one place which looks really nice, is in a decent area of Cardiff and belatedly would be somewhere I'd be ok with staying at for longer than a year for a change as I'm sick of the annual move, but is suspiciously low relative to prices of others / is the same price as some dives and has been on the renting market since December. I am going to call them up tomorrow am anyway but what things might have provoked my suspicion so I can ask them?

Noisy neighbours is one etc. It has a much higher deposit than 1 bed flats in nearby studentsville, but I'm not sure that's enough to have put off everyone. I might be being overly cautious, but it's the first time I'd be moving into a property on my own now, so don't wish to make a rookie's mistake. I'm tempted to walk up there this afternoon to have a look around etc

I don't think it's possible to be "overly" cautious when you're talking about where you're going to hang your hat.  Lower price could be any number of things, it might be worth looking up the postcode on here; it'll tell you how many crimes have been reported on a certain street over the last however many years, and the nature of those crimes.  Bear in mind it's probably worth looking up where you live at the moment on there as well so you've got a baseline for comparison; we found when we were looking at properties we'd get itchy over a few public disorders in the vicinity, but when we looked up where we then living it turned out to be even worse, despite us never having any problems at all.

Â