The Death of Good Customer Service?

Genie

Maybe I'm just having some bad luck the last few weeks but it just seems like everything I've been involved with has just been handled extremely badly by the retailers...

Homebase - Bought a kitchen from them about 5-6 weeks ago, realised straight away we'd need another floor end panel, told it would be a 1 month wait (even though the entire kitchen order was ready in 2 weeks). I pushed and pushed, called the store, the manager, customer services and nothing, would not budge on it. Last week finalising the install I noticed I'd need another length of cornice... that'll be another 4 to 6 weeks effing undeliverable.

HP - I have a HP Touchpad (poor mans iPad) which had to be sent back due to cracks appearing in the casing (common fault), aftger returning it to Hungary it came back with the device wiped but not repair. The cracks still there. Now they have it again, still after 2 weeks and no sign of it.

T-Mobile - I took out my PAC code end of last year to give to another network. For this they charged me up front the early cancellation charge (~£50), they said if I didn't use the code and left the contract to end naturally I'd get this back. Contract has ended and no refund. Called last night, 1st person put me on hold then cut me off. Second person was pretending they couldn't hear me, third person wanted to call me back today which I said no I wanted to sort it last night, she put me on hold then cut me off. 4th person seemed to resolve it with little fuss.

Has anyone else seen this worrying trend of doing the absolute bare minimum and trying to wriggle and fight at every opportunity? Likewise can anybody tell of any exceptional customer service?

VW this morning....... by all means "Mr Servicing Department Executive" finish your **** conversation with your mate, having made eye contact with me TWICE before asking me to sit down and sort my car out. No I've only got to get to work you prat. I can see why the don't let you sell the **** things.

On a happy note..... VirginMedia. On the phone or in person my experience is that all their staff are excellent and very helpful. Plus our local Virgin tech guy has now done loads of other work for me being a fully qualified spark and all. Top stuff.

The death of good customer service?

I have never seen any signs of life in the whole time I have been in this country.

Customer service is not one of the UK's strengths.

I seem to have become desensitized to it though. Now, if someone just does their job in a polite way I consider this a success.

Homebase - Bought a kitchen from them about 5-6 weeks ago, realised straight away we'd need another floor end panel, told it would be a 1 month wait (even though the entire kitchen order was ready in 2 weeks). I pushed and pushed, called the store, the manager, customer services and nothing, would not budge on it. Last week finalising the install I noticed I'd need another length of cornice... that'll be another 4 to 6 weeks effing undeliverable.

That is truly shocking . For a start , Homebase kitchens are terrible but those waiting times are a disgrace.

Someone came into my place yesterday morning after another base panel which we didn't have. I got in my van and collected one from another branch in Watford and delivered it to the customer the same day :winkold:

If anyone is after a new kitchen then PM me !

I've installed 3 kitchens now over the years and tbh they're much of a muchness (I'm talking Wickes / B&Q / Homebase etc. not the £50k jobbies).

To make it worse Homebase staff have told me they'd ring me back on 3 occasions to give me an update and didn't do it. I complained to their Head Office who put me onto the store manager, spoke with him Wednesday, he said he'd call me Friday with an update.... didn't neither did he or anyone Saturday, Sunday or Monday until I called him back. Shambolic service from top to bottom.

On a happy note..... VirginMedia. On the phone or in person my experience is that all their staff are excellent and very helpful. Plus our local Virgin tech guy has now done loads of other work for me being a fully qualified spark and all. Top stuff.

They have some very good staff.

But they still have some awful staff.

I've told it on here before, but once (when I was with Virgin) my internet was broken, so my Dad kindly went round during the day when I was at work to phone Virgin and try and fix it. 4 hours he was on the phone (on and off) with the same guy who couldn't fix it, and kept getting my dad to do the usual "turn it off and on again" over and over.

My dad knows what he's doing with computers so he knew it was bollocks.

Eventually the guy told my dad that he'd fixed it, and he needed to turn the router off for 3 hours and when it's turned on after that it will work.

By this time I was back from work and, obviously, it wasn't working when we turned the router back on. I assume the guy had just told us to wait 3 hours so that he'd have finished his shift by the time we treied to call back. he clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing.

When I did call back, i spoke to another guy who was the total opposite of the first guy. In, honestly, less than a minute, he had checked the local area, identified that there had been a fault, that the fault had already been reported and was due to be fixed by an engineer the following day, expressed his bewliderment at how much of an idiot his colleague had been, and credited my account £10 to make up for it.

Caviar and cabbage right there.

Â