Stronglifts Strength Training Program

Dante_Lockhart

Clicky

I'll be starting this tonight. I've been hitting the gym a fair bit these last few months and it's all been isolation exercises. Biceps/Triceps, Shoulders/Legs, Backs/Chest etc.. sometimes single areas per session and going 6 times a week. Now I'm busy with other things I wanted to change to some full body exercises that would limit my time at the gym and work everything. I haven't got the time to be at the gym 4 times a week for 2 hours at a time any more so 3x a week for 45 minutes at a time seems ideal.

I stumbled across this and it seems to be a good program so I'll be starting it and giving it a go for 12 weeks to see if it's any good. I've never actually done squats or deadlifts so it'll be interesting.

Anyone tried it before?

Only skimmed the article but looks decent (I think someone else on here said they were doing this?)

You don't need to be in the gym 2 hours at a time. You should be in and out in an hour

What's your goal, Dante?

As in do you want to lose fat, build muscle, gain strength, all of the above?

Only skimmed the article but looks decent (I think someone else on here said they were doing this?)

You don't need to be in the gym 2 hours at a time. You should be in and out in an hour

What's your goal, Dante?

As in do you want to lose fat, build muscle, gain strength, all of the above?

Well I've lost a fair bit of weight so it's mainly now to get my strength up and build some muscle. Not looking to bulk up and as long as I keep a sensible calorie intake that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah sounds about perfect mate.

I was going to say if you were looking to lose fat then you'd be better off sticking to a less intense weight routine and concentrate on adding cardio.

But if Strength is your goal then that looks like a good routine to stick to.

Keep us updated!

Will do. Starting with just the bar tonight as it recommends, get form and stuff sorted.

Squats - 20kg x 5 reps x 5 sets

Bench Press - 20kg x 5 reps x 5 sets

Bent Over Rows - 20kg x 5 reps x 5 sets

Thursday I'll do routine 2

Squats - 25kg x 5 reps x 5 sets

Military Press - 20kg x 5 reps x 5 sets

Deadlift - 30kg x 5 reps x 1 sets

Then slowly build the weights up as the weeks go on. I've downloaded the free app too so I can track my progress better. Time to get it on.

Form is so important.

I never appreciated it until I went to the gym with a mate of mine who is really into his gym stuff, and then read up about form.

There's always this stigma that you should be lifting as heavy weights as you can in the gym, but it's rubbish. Once you concentrate on your form you don't care how much you're lifting because you know your gains will be bigger and better.

Good luck. I've always preferred the full body stuff to the isolated stuff. Fridays for me are Deadlifts, squats, hang cleans, good mornin's and lunges and it's my favourite gym day of the week. Methinks you'll enjoy it!

Clicky

I'll be starting this tonight. I've been hitting the gym a fair bit these last few months and it's all been isolation exercises. Biceps/Triceps, Shoulders/Legs, Backs/Chest etc.. sometimes single areas per session and going 6 times a week. Now I'm busy with other things I wanted to change to some full body exercises that would limit my time at the gym and work everything. I haven't got the time to be at the gym 4 times a week for 2 hours at a time any more so 3x a week for 45 minutes at a time seems ideal.

I stumbled across this and it seems to be a good program so I'll be starting it and giving it a go for 12 weeks to see if it's any good. I've never actually done squats or deadlifts so it'll be interesting.

Anyone tried it before?

I think 5x5 will quickly become too many reps as you get into the higher weight ranges, at least that's what I found. I started doing 'starting strength' instead, which is basically the same but with 3 sets of 5 rather than 5. You still get the same benefits in terms of strength gains but don't suffer the increased fatigue and required recovery time from too much volume.

The basic routine is:

Workout A - Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press

Workout B - Squats, Power Cleans, Press

In and out of the gym in around 40 minutes.

Clicky

Anyone tried it before?

I think 5x5 will quickly become too many reps as you get into the higher weight ranges, at least that's what I found. I started doing 'starting strength' instead, which is basically the same but with 3 sets of 5 rather than 5. You still get the same benefits in terms of strength gains but don't suffer the increased fatigue and required recovery time from too much volume.

The basic routine is:

Workout A - Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press

Workout B - Squats, Power Cleans, Press

In and out of the gym in around 40 minutes.

Yeah the 5x5 is the 'beginner', then after hitting a plateau and failing a few times you move on to 3x5

Went well. Was pretty light (just the bar) but I got to work slowly and make sure my form was correct.

Only problem I found is that Haden Hill doesn't have 1.25kg or 2.5kg plates which I need to do this correctly. The idea is that you add 1.25kg each side every time you go so you slowly increase your strength and don't hit your 'wall' too quickly. Helps with motivation and confidence.

Do I move gyms?

how do you do hang cleans or power cleans without bumper plates or do you use them?

Just don't drop the bar after?

I don't do hang cleans with really heavy weights, I do it light enough so I can do 8-10 reps so I can lower the bar after.

I assume that's what you meant?

Yeah, depends how heavy the weight is I suppose.

If you're doing a couple of reps with your max then yeah you'd have to drop it pretty hard I imagine.

Hang cleans are no problem though

Went well. Was pretty light (just the bar) but I got to work slowly and make sure my form was correct.

Only problem I found is that Haden Hill doesn't have 1.25kg or 2.5kg plates which I need to do this correctly. The idea is that you add 1.25kg each side every time you go so you slowly increase your strength and don't hit your 'wall' too quickly. Helps with motivation and confidence.

Do I move gyms?

Why not just buy a couple of 1.25 kg plates and take them to the gym with you?

Do I move gyms?

Why not just buy a couple of 1.25 kg plates and take them to the gym with you?

Won't let me bring my own stuff in due to 'Health and Safety' reasons apparently.

Â