Speeding

JMilnereatsnails

If you've got no recent previous then it will most likely be a speed awareness course rather than points

Depends if 22mph over the limit is deemed dangerous / excessive .... Mine was only a mere 18mph over the limit ( still 36% over mind )

Mine was 55% over the limit (almost exactly the same as this case, and I wasn't offered a course. Just 3 points.

there is zero chance of getting it reduced.

i agree with others, just take the fine & 3 points/awareness course... unless you have 9 points in which case contest it.

The judge will find it irrelevant why the speed limit was 40, or what the conditions were, or how many cars were on the road.

Your only defence would be if you were doing 62 for a exceptional reason - someone giving birth in the back, house on fire and baby trapped upstairs, invading aliens chasing you to eat your brain, etc...

OK I'll be honest, I didn't see the 40mph sign because I was trying to get my cigarettes out of my coat pocket, and my coat was on the back seat. I had written a telephone number on the packet during a piss-up the night before and the person I was talking with on the phone needed it.

Maybe don't tell the court/police any of that eh?

Jeez, you're a defence brief's dream aren't you. :oops:

If you contest it, the court can take the penalty up to 6 points and massively increase the fine. I got 6 points and a 600 quid fine once. Even taking it to court and pleading guilty straight off will net you 3 points and £120 minimum.

I got caught by the police doing 40mph in a 30mph residential area. They were there parked on the drive of a house around a blind corner just after a mini-roundabout pointing the speed gun at any cars coming round. I got 3 points and a 60 quid fine and not a mention of any course, unless that's something that's only been in effect for the last couple of years? It'll be 5 years ago since the incident in April this year so finally it'll be off my insurance at least.

The thing that really pissed me off the most was that 2 weeks earlier this bell-end I knew had just passed his test and decided it'd be funny to overtake me doing 80mph in a 40mph zone in the same town I got caught in. The police pulled him over and let him off with a warning! There's no justice.

If the offence was 5 years ago, it was spent 2 years ago and hasn't had any impact on your insurance. It stays on your licence for 5 years but is irrelevant. 3 points for an single SP30 offence hardly has any impact on your insurance anyway, probably about a tenner a year if that

It is stated in black and white, on the first page of the confirmation of who was driving letter that "Correspondence will not normally be entered into....." I guess I'm going to have to contest it just because I have very little going on at the moment and this could be a bit of fun trying to get away with. In fact, thinking about it I'm sure that the variable speed limit had only been reduced to 60mph when I passed it.

It is stated in black and white, on the first page of the confirmation of who was driving letter that "Correspondence will not normally be entered into....." I guess I'm going to have to contest it just because I have very little going on at the moment and this could be a bit of fun trying to get away with. In fact, thinking about it I'm sure that the variable speed limit had only been reduced to 60mph when I passed it.

You'll lose and it will be costly. If you have any less than 9 points it really isn't worth it.

If the offence was 5 years ago, it was spent 2 years ago and hasn't had any impact on your insurance. It stays on your licence for 5 years but is irrelevant. 3 points for an single SP30 offence hardly has any impact on your insurance anyway, probably about a tenner a year if that

You might be right, but every little helps. To be fair, I had a little accident in the same year which was my fault so a few weeks ago I did some insurance quotes from a few places and it shot down by about £100 when I took off the SP30 and the accident. I always thought speeding fines were taken off after 4 years but every insurance quote I've done has asked me for any incidents in the last 5 years.

Either way, it'll be cheaper.

Welcome to the Warwickshire Revenue collection service.

These cameras have become very active over the past few months, and they caught me twice in December on the variable limit (73 in 60 and 62 in 50).

I have been monitoring how they operate ever since, the best day being 70-50-50-60-50-70-40, in sequence!

The limits displayed have little or no bearing on the traffic, as they can be 40 on a clear road and up to 60 by the time that the traffic gets heavy.

Ordinarily I wouldn't brake on a clear motorway, preferring to slow down in a controlled manner, but now I just step on my brakes.

I have come to the conclusion that there is an on-line video game somewhere with random 11 year-olds of different nationalities taking it in turns to manage the traffic flow on the M42.

See you on the speed awareness course!

You'll lose and it will be costly. If you have any less than 9 points it really isn't worth it.

I don't have any points, I've driven 30,000 + miles every year for the last 15 odd years and in that time only picked up 3 points on 2 occassions. I don't drive fast and I don't think that I am above the law, but for some reason this penalty feels particularly unfair, as if I am being used to swell the Government coffers, as motorists always are. I'll decide when the penalty notice arrives.

I don't have any points, I've driven 30,000 + miles every year for the last 15 odd years and in that time only picked up 3 points on 2 occassions. I don't drive fast and I don't think that I am above the law, but for some reason this penalty feels particularly unfair, as if I am being used to swell the Government coffers, as motorists always are. I'll decide when the penalty notice arrives.

So why swell the coffers anymore? You will lose

No-one's saying we don't want you to get away with it. I'd love you to get away with it.

We just don't want to see you lose even more, which is 99% what will happen.

You might be right, but every little helps. To be fair, I had a little accident in the same year which was my fault so a few weeks ago I did some insurance quotes from a few places and it shot down by about £100 when I took off the SP30 and the accident. I always thought speeding fines were taken off after 4 years but every insurance quote I've done has asked me for any incidents in the last 5 years.

The accident increases the quote way more than the SP30.

Also, they can ask about last 5 years but they cannot increase your insurance on a spent conviction, your SP30 is exactly that - spent

The accident increases the quote way more than the SP30.

Also, they can ask about last 5 years but they cannot increase your insurance on a spent conviction, your SP30 is exactly that - spent

Ah fair enough, thanks for the info. A little off-topic, but the accident I had was a little unfair too. I was to blame in the strictest sense since I drove into the side of the other car on a very small crossroads in a built up area with limited visibility and cars parked all over the place, but the woman driving was definitely driving closer to 40mph so she was speeding. Ah well, it's in the past.

Â