Over-reaction of Man City stewards

Dodgyknees

During todays game, it looked like the City fans were fighting with each other, well... the stewards and police were actually over-reacting to a man standing - a guy with heart problems, so they drag him out of his seat.

A disgrace.

I'd like to explain why this happened, because it's not without blame from the stewards. Showsec have been making a big deal about stopping people standing in block 109 (three blocks to the right of the away end), and they tried to kick out a bloke who was quite clearly doing nothing wrong today.

They went in all guns blazing at this old bloke with heart problems, do you really expect that City fans nearby would stand by and let it happen? Because the treatment of this guy by Showsec and GMP is nothing short of disgraceful.

From the Villa end we saw lots of punches being thrown and it looked very nasty. After seeing that video earlier it's clear to see why people reacted so angrily and there will surely be some repercussions for both GMP and Showsec.

Unfortunately though, this happens in some form at every ground every week. It's just another example of fans being treated like mugs, despite paying over-inflated prices to watch overpaid players play in a ruined football league.

From the Villa end we saw lots of punches being thrown and it looked very nasty. After seeing that video earlier it's clear to see why people reacted so angrily and there will surely be some repercussions for both GMP and Showsec.

Unfortunately though, this happens in some form at every ground every week. It's just another example of fans being treated like mugs, despite paying over-inflated prices to watch overpaid players play in a ruined football league.

As I said in the other thread, I absolutely agree. The fact is, football fans pay over the odds to be treated like scum by police and bullies in hi-vis jackets. It's a far cry from the 70s and 80s where it kicked off every week, but this has sent it to the other extreme. You can't stand and sing without being turfed out of the ground anymore. It's sad how sterilised the modern game is. Passionless.

I absolutely agree. The fact is, football fans pay over the odds to be treated like scum by police and bullies in hi-vis jackets. It's a far cry from the 70s and 80s where it kicked off every week, but this has sent it to the other extreme. You can't stand and sing without being turfed out of the ground anymore. It's sad how sterilised the modern game is. Passionless.
Hear hear. I hope the guy is alright - they were treating him for ages and ages, when it all calmed down.

The whole thing is an utter shambles and a disgrace. From the Guidance (not law) on how all seater ground safety certificates should be managed, to council clowns, to private stewarding companies there's so much wrong, so much that treats the fans as a problem, and that's before you get rip-off prices.

What a disgraceful bunch of word removed. Its not like he was some sort of Chav smashing seats up.

Hopefully City fans can take a stand and get these word removed fired. Power mad clearing in the woods is all they are

I absolutely agree. The fact is, football fans pay over the odds to be treated like scum by police and bullies in hi-vis jackets. It's a far cry from the 70s and 80s where it kicked off every week, but this has sent it to the other extreme. You can't stand and sing without being turfed out of the ground anymore. It's sad how sterilised the modern game is. Passionless.
Hear hear. I hope the guy is alright - they were treating him for ages and ages, when it all calmed down.

The whole thing is an utter shambles and a disgrace. From the Guidance (not law) on how all seater ground safety certificates should be managed, to council clowns, to private stewarding companies there's so much wrong, so much that treats the fans as a problem, and that's before you get rip-off prices.

Thankfully he was okay in the end - saw him walking up the steps with the paramedic and police (who quite rightly got an earful off pretty much everyone near the end the row for standing back and letting these thugs do what they did). The irony is that the club are looking to our section to improve the atmosphere and are moving the away fans into the 3rd tier for Villarreal in order to give City the whole South Stand. But when we try and get the atmosphere going by standing and singing, we get kicked out for the former. I'm in 110, the block to the left of where it was going on. Us and 111 don't get any grief for standing because I think the club have admitted defeat in attempting to enforce it; people with tickets there are there because they want to stand. Increasingly that's the case with 109, where the trouble took place. The whole argument against safe standing is flawed, and Citing Hillsborough (however tragic that incident was) is wrong. Hillsborough didn't occur because of standing; it occurred through shocking crowd management and the pens the fans were placed in. Standing at a football match in itself is not dangerous if implemented correctly.

Shocking.

Of course, it was fairly obvious the man must have been some known offender if only because of his advanced years........and I suppose he had the audacity(judging by the fact he was'nt wearing a suit) to have actually paid for his ticket, instead of being in the altogether 'untouchable' corporate section? Tut tut, what a disgrace.

As if this would happen at any other ground :angry:

Â