Predictions and general chat

BOF

bdheu.jpg

Few players will be donning these cleats this weekend. I think as it stands they will be fined for doing so too. There are some gloves to go with it also.

Bradshaw, Briggs and Hasselback i have heard will be wearing, im sure there will be plenty more.

NFL has said that players will not be fined for wearing those shoes.

If I remember correctly, Chris Redman was fined for wearing black high tops as a tribute to Johnny Unitas

P Manning would have been fined $25k, Redman was fined $5k

Ravens QB Chris Redman did what Colts QB Peyton Manning wanted to do, but Redman's black high-top cleats won't cost him nearly as much as it would have Manning.

Redman probably faces a first-time uniform violation of $5,000 for wearing black high-tops in Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in salute to Johnny Unitas, who died of a heart attack last week.

Manning was told by a club official -- after speaking with a league authority -- that he would face a fine of at least $25,000 if he defied the edict by wearing the black shoes. A league spokesman denied that a specific $25,000 fine was threatened, but conceded that the Colts were told that it would be a steeper fine than normal because Manning had been formally denied permission.

In other words, don't ask.

Redman privately approached a Ravens official with his desire to honor Unitas. Instead of seeking league approval, the quarterback was told to "just do it" without saying anything. Manning went the route of protocol by seeking permission from the NFL. Once it became public with a rejection, the lines were drawn.

"That was the mistake -- if (Manning) just wears the shoes without any fanfare, this is a different deal," a league official said.

Manning was willing to pay any amount of fine, sources said, but felt the public controversy was a dishonor to Unitas.

The league's uniform policy stipulates that a team must declare itself a "black shoe" team or "white shoe" team prior to the season. Both the Colts and the Ravens chose white shoes. Had they selected black shoes, there would have been no violation.

Both Redman and Manning had personal affection for Unitas. Redman, like Unitas, was a former Louisville quarterback and was counseled frequently by the former Colt great in recent years. Manning said Unitas was an influence on his father Archie, a onetime NFL great.

Manning also was the winner of the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award as the nation's top collegiate quarterback in 1998. At the ceremonies, Manning presented Unitas with a pair of his Tennessee black high-tops (size 14).

No Fun League, indeed.

In the current issue of SI, Peter King says that, given that the Browns' only game against a team that had a winning record last year is the [Manning-less] Colts in week 2 and how tailor made the WCO is for Colt McCoy, he expects the Browns to be in the thick of and possibly atop the AFC North at Thanksgiving.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the Browns to win 9 games this season... it probably won't be enough to make the playoffs or finish top half of the AFC North, though.

The Browns have a tough last 6 weeks. They play the Pittjacks and Ratbirds twice each.

Bengals

@ Colts (sans Manning)

Dolphins

Titans

BYE

@ Raiders

Seahawks

@ 49ers

@ Texans

Rams

Jaguars

@ Bengals

Hardest game on paper is probably Texans away... 8-3 is a fairly strong possibility (which would probably put the Browns in first place on December 1)

Ravens

@ Steelers

@ Cardinals

@ Ravens

Steelers

1-4 finish, as I see it. 8-3 plus 1-4 is 9-7.

PACKERS - Saints

RAVENS - Steelers

BEARS - Falcons

BROWNS - Bengals

TEXANS - Colts

JAGUARS - Titans

CHIEFS - Bills

RAMS - Eagles

BUCCS - Lions

CARDS - Panthers

CHARGERS - Vikings

49ERS - Seahawks

REDSKINS - Giants

COWBOYS - Jets

PATRIOTS - Dolphins

BRONCOS - Raiders

10 out of 16. I'll take that for week 1. (Anything better than a coin flip is good for me.)

Let's look at week 2 . . .

Nibs' predictions in uppercase

(i.e., who you should put your money on in lowercase)

BILLS - Raiders

PACKERS - Panthers

LIONS - Chiefs

BROWNS - Colts

VIKINGS - Bucs

SAINTS - Bears

JETS - Jaguars

STEELERS - Seahawks

RAVENS - Titans

REDSKINS - Cards

COWBOYS - 49ers

BRONCOS - Bengals

DOLPHINS - Texans

PATRIOTS - Chargers

EAGLES - Falcons

RAMS - Giants

The most effective personnel group in the most effective formation right now in the NFL

formation1.1_0_0.png

11 Personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR)

1. QB- Shotgun spread set (2 by 2) flex TE / 2 to left ... slot WR / X to right

a. The width of the slot and the flex TE from the “T” makes the outside linebackers (or nickel DB) move out and away from blitz lane. If they creep back in, the QB easily reads blitz.

2. The guards (G) can take the inside linebackers if they blitz. If the OLB threatens blitz, the left tackle can “fan” block.

a. Then the center, right guard and running back have the nose and 2 inside LBs. If the nickel also blitzes- the slot WR is “hot” and will get the ball RIGHT away.

3. If the X receiver is a true #1 WR like Randy Moss, teams will want to “roll” coverage to him with the corner and FS. That insures the nickel runs the slot and can’t blitz.

4. If the running back has receiving skills like Ray Rice (Balt), Joseph Addai (Indy), Reggie Bush (NO), the inside linebackers have little chance of covering him which forces zone calls which in turn opens up the slot receiver and flex TE

5. If the defense is fearful of the flex TE and slot as receivers (Dallas Clark, Pierre Garcon), they will try and stop the run with 5 in the box (3 D Line/2 ILBs) and the offense has enough blockers (5 linemen).

6. Motion by the slot receiver to the opposite side stresses the defense. Do they roll coverage to the new 3 receiver side and leave the “X” one on one with the potential RB coming out? (Marques Colston & Reggie Bush). The nickel DB has to chase the slot motion because the OLB can’t cover him.

7. IF the “Z” has speed (Bernard Berrian), he can take the “top off the defense” and threaten the “$”. That leaves lots of room for the flex TE to work up the field (Gates/Shancoe.)

8. The good teams in the NFL have built this package and will continue to move the ball and score.

effective-formation2_1.png

effective-formation3_1.png

effective-formation4_0.png

link

Change the Slot WR for a regular TE and i agree with him, its why the PATs are tearing it up at the moment, their TE's are awesome.

11-4 so far :thumb:

Current (obviously, pre-MNF) power ratings... they're still taking preseason and part of the last postseason into account:

110: Lions

109: Eagles

108: Titans

107: Texans

106: Ravens

105: Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, Jets

103: Rams

102: Saints

101: Packers, Vikings, Cardinals, Bucs

100: Chargers

99: Dolphins, Bears

98: Browns

97: 49ers, Giants, Cowboys, Bills, Bengals, Broncos

96: Seahawks

95: Jaguars, Falcons

94: Panthers

93: Colts

92: Raiders

89: Chiefs

(on a neutral field, the predicted difference in scores is, roughly, the difference in ratings)

Right now, I'm seeing home advantage being worth about 5 points, so I'm predicting Rams by 1 tonight.

Potentially interesting trivia:

Three of the past four times the Patriots have had the NFC East in the interconference rotation, they've gone to the Super Bowl:

2007 - Super Bowl

2003 - Super Bowl

1996 - Super Bowl

Nibs' predictions in uppercase

(i.e., who you should put your money on in lowercase)

BILLS - Raiders

PACKERS - Panthers

LIONS - Chiefs

BROWNS - Colts

VIKINGS - Bucs

SAINTS - Bears

JETS - Jaguars

STEELERS - Seahawks

RAVENS - Titans

REDSKINS - Cards

COWBOYS - 49ers

BRONCOS - Bengals

DOLPHINS - Texans

PATRIOTS - Chargers

EAGLES - Falcons

RAMS - Giants

Started off well... ended a bit crap. I think too highly of Sam Bradford it seems.

11 from 16 this week.

Running total = 21.

What Nibs thinks:

PATS over Bills

PANTHERS over Jaguars

BENGALS over 49ers

BROWNS over Dolphins

LIONS over Vikings

SAINTS over Texans

EAGLES over Giants

TITANS over Broncos

RAIDERS over Jets

CHARGERS over Chiefs

RAMS over Ravens

PACKERS over Bears

SEAHAWKS over Cardinals

BUCCS over Falcons

STEELERS over Colts

COWBOYS over Redskins

What Nibs thinks:

PATS over Bills... BUGGER

PANTHERS over Jaguars... YES

BENGALS over 49ers... BUGGER

BROWNS over Dolphins... YES

LIONS over Vikings... YES

SAINTS over Texans... YES

EAGLES over Giants... BUGGER

TITANS over Broncos... YES

RAIDERS over Jets... YES

CHARGERS over Chiefs... YES

RAMS over Ravens... BUGGER

PACKERS over Bears... YES

SEAHAWKS over Cardinals... YES

BUCCS over Falcons... YES

STEELERS over Colts... YES

COWBOYS over Redskins... YES

12 yeses and 4 buggers.

I'm improving by one point every week (10, 11, 12, . . .)

At this rate, I'll be getting 17 out of 16 by week eight.

Stay tuned for more of what may become the NibblyPig prediction thread. (Does no-one else do predictions here?)

Â