Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

When they were looking for the MON replacement, one of the main stipulations was someone with Premiership experience.

If the board is looking for a new manager, I see no reason why that criteria would change.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need Premier League experience; and I'm talking in the last couple of years.

I think we need to stop thinking about players that can be brought in, and contacts possible managers have.

A good manager can work the majority of players (barring Balotelli etc).

No we don't. What good does it do? Did Arsene Wenger need Premier League experience when he came into the league? Did Carlo Ancelotti?

A good manager would be able to handle any league.

How about Ramos? Grant? Martinez?

We could play this game till the cows come home if you'd like?

We don't need another transition season of a manager getting to grips with PL. And why do you think we'd get the quality of Wenger or Ancelotti?

To say that you need experience is a load of bollocks. The Premier League is no different to the other league at the end of the day it's just football in a different language.

It just depends if the manager himself is suited and not his nationality or experience.

Ramos flopped as he couldn't speak English very well therefore he couldn't communicate properly to the players.

Martinez has actually done an excellent job in England so far, although he played here before he managed.

Grant is just a poor manager, and doesn't inspire players or fans.

Rafa came in and won the Champions League, things went stale and he left. He wasn't a flop.

I could go on, it's a stupid argument and if we specifically want a manager who has Premier League experience then we are limiting ourselves and most of them are useless.

We want the best manager for the club, he needs to be tactically smart, a good motivator, can communicate and will understand the importance of the youth we have. Nationality or experience does not come into it.

Martinez has actually done an excellent job in England so far, although he played here before he managed.

surely thats a joke. have seen where wigan are in the league? he has been a disaster for them

surely thats a joke. have seen where wigan are in the league? he has been a disaster for them

Are you ignorant?

He did an excellent job at Swansea and Wigan are in a position in which you'd expect them to be given their resources. They just keep drawing too many games. If they stay up their fans won't be complaining.

Are you ignorant?

He did an excellent job at Swansea and Wigan are in a position in which you'd expect them to be given their resources. They just keep drawing too many games. If they stay up their fans won't be complaining.

they are absolutely awful, by far the worst team in the league i think which is illustrated by the fact that we beat them at the jjb

We need Premier League experience; and I'm talking in the last couple of years.

I think we need to stop thinking about players that can be brought in, and contacts possible managers have.

A good manager can work the majority of players (barring Balotelli etc).

Big Sam would be a worry, didn't he have heart surgery recently(?!) too?

No we don't. What good does it do? Did Arsene Wenger need Premier League experience when he came into the league? Did Carlo Ancelotti?

A good manager would be able to handle any league.

Less risk, more chance of success in a quicker time.

It's the same with players.

Just how you mention Wenger and Ancelotti, I can just as easily mention Scolari and Juande Ramos.

Grant has Premier League experience. It's really working out for West Ham isn't it?

I'm so thrilled we went with the safe option and chose Houllier. He only nearly relegated us. Let's do it again.

Are you ignorant?

they are absolutely awful, by far the worst team in the league i think which is illustrated by the fact that we beat them at the jjb

So considering they are "worst team in the league" he is actually doing a good job then.

Think Martin Jol would be good at villa ..hes a man manager a liked manager with players ect .. and didnt he say villa can wait and we offered him the job while at Ajax??? now hes free Randy mite go bk if GH doesnt com bk.

^^^

This!

Martin Jol has Premiership experience, buys technically proficient players, his teams always play attractive football and he would set up a vastly superior scouting network to the one we supposedly have now and we would have no compensation to pay.

If GH isn't going to be our our manager next season and due to his latest health scare i sincerely hope not, then Randy what are you waiting for?

Are you ignorant?

So considering they are "worst team in the league" he is actually doing a good job then.

they were decent when bruce was in charge, used to play at a high tempo and with passion, their current side look resigned to relegation

Are you ignorant?

So... Martinez is now an excellent manager?

:bang:

Martin Jol has Premiership experience, buys technically proficient players, his teams always play attractive football and he would set up a vastly superior scouting network to the one we supposedly have now and we would have no compensation to pay.

How many of the players were brought by him, and how many by Arnesen and Comoli?

He certainly didn’t do so well at Hamburg and Ajax.

Are you ignorant?

they were decent when bruce was in charge, used to play at a high tempo and with passion, their current side look resigned to relegation

Valencis, Palacious and Cattermole made a difference.

Grant has Premier League experience. It's really working out for West Ham isn't it?

I'm so thrilled we went with the safe option and chose Houllier. He only nearly relegated us. Let's do it again.

[_________] had PL experience he was rubbish.

[_________] had PL experience he was good.

As mentioned before we can go on and on about this.

How many of the players were brought by him, and how many by Arnesen and Comoli?

He certainly didn’t do so well at Hamburg and Ajax.

A very good point. Personally I am not keen on him.

So you're basically saying we should only limit ourselves to managers who have Premier League experience? I would rather we be adventurous and widen the options instead of having a pass the parcel type manager.

I think that we would be in a stronger position if we employed someone who is currently in the PL like Hughes or Moyes.

Sure there may be times when these don't fit, like Hodgson with Liverpool - but with Fulham and now West Brom he is a fantastic manager.

Sometimes risks do pay off, and if you are a huge club and you have the reputation and money to get a huge manager from Europe - sure go for it. But that's not where we are.

So you're basically saying we should only limit ourselves to managers who have Premier League experience? I would rather we be adventurous and widen the options instead of having a pass the parcel type manager.

Im pretty sure we were after somebody with top level experience. This could be a top international manager, champions league experience, top manager from La Liga.

Dont think we said Prem experience, but I could be wrong.

Are you ignorant?

So... Martinez is now an excellent manager?

:bang:

For his experience in 'management' he has done an excellent job so far, I am not suggesting him to anything Villa related but he is an example of my point that experience in the 'Premier League' means very little.

Basically he rebuilt things at Swansea and introduced a philosophy to them that other managers have kept since he left. Since he joined Wigan like Bruce he has had to rely on picking up players with potential to replace players like Palacios as mentioned in this thread. Wigan have a very young team, and with what they have they're where they should be. If he keeps them up he's done a good job as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway this is going off topic...

Im pretty sure we were after somebody with top level experience. This could be a top international manager, champions league experience, top manager from La Liga.

Dont think we said Prem experience, but I could be wrong.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2139164,00.html

Two of the traits we believe are of crucial importance are that candidates have experience of managing in the Premier League and a strategy for building on the existing strengths in our current squad.

But reading that again it makes no bloody sense!

How on earth have we built on the existing strength when GH removed their strengths by playing the way he wanted and it also looks to me they were happy with the players they had in their squad and that was after we lost 6-0 against Newcastle. Surely they won't be happy enough to keep them next season?

This is why I don't have total faith of the board.