Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

No way would Andre Villas Boas join even though he would be perfect for us.

The board have no ambition to hire a young oversea employed manager. It has to be an old experienced PL unemployed washed up canidate. No risk and no drive.

Honestly I know it's been a tough season but you do grumble a lot. Houllier's appointment hasn't worked out but it was made in difficult circumstances with limited options. O'Neill was a successful manager here before him and I trust the board to find the right man to replace GH this summer.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought villas-boas was mourinho type anti football?

Is this sarcasm?

Against Barca he plays that type of football.. however during other matches he plays normal attacking football.

i wouldn't say that was sarcasm, he's famous for catenaccio - negative football - his tactics are all about stopping te other team from playing first and then trying to nick a win. look at how he had inter playing, he made chelsea hard to beat and had amazing forwards who could win a game with a couple of counters, plus at real a lot of the old guard hate his football style. di stefano slated him after the draw at home in the league with barca.

negative football is what mourinho is all about, he's like a modern day capello...

back on topic though, ranieri?

I thought villas-boas was mourinho type anti football?

Is this sarcasm?

Against Barca he plays that type of football.. however during other matches he plays normal attacking football.

i wouldn't say that was sarcasm, he's famous for catenaccio - negative football - his tactics are all about stopping te other team from playing first and then trying to nick a win. look at how he had inter playing, he made chelsea hard to beat and had amazing forwards who could win a game with a couple of counters, plus at real a lot of the old guard hate his football style. di stefano slated him after the draw at home in the league with barca.

negative football is what mourinho is all about, he's like a modern day capello...

back on topic though, ranieri?

Well I saw his Inter team play last year in Serie A and watch his Real Madrid play in La Liga this year and I've just seen perfectly fine attacking football.. granted against Barca and a few other teams he goes ultra defensive and is seen as negative.. but all the time? no he doesn't.

i've lived in italy for the last 6 years so i've seen mourinho's teams a lot, including at the san siro. believe me he is famous for negative, win at all costs football. he had massive rows with the italian media very regularly about it too. if by attacking you mean on the counter then fair enough. his football can be in no way called open, fluid attacking football though.

aaaaanyway, ranieri is available and looking for a way into the prem, he built the chelsea side mourinho went on to win a lot with. good punt for next villa manager?

i've lived in italy for the last 6 years so i've seen mourinho's teams a lot, including at the san siro. believe me he is famous for negative, win at all costs football

i can't believe anyone is arguing with that. Chelsea were hardly Brazil 82 under him either

his football can be in no way called open, fluid attacking football though.

I think 8-0 against Levante is just one example of fluid attacking football.. they play attacking football and yes sometimes on the counter.. negative? under this real madrid team he isn't negative at all.. I agree however when it comes to Barca etc but week in week out I watch Real Madrid and there is nothing "negative" about his football.

well, let's agree to disagree about mou then!

ranieri? i quite like the idea...

Claudio Ranieri as next Villa manager, do I not like that.

He is another old manager who has seen better days.

The tinkerman has been sacked by Chelsea, Valencia and Juventus and resigned from Roma and Atletico Madrid before they could give him the boot.

he did build a great chelsea side and a great valencia side. he also worked miracles at juve and they went into freefall without him. the roma job was a bad one to take on but he's from rome and couldn't resist. i don't know enough about atletico to comment.

from what he did at chelsea though he could be a good appointment in the way that he would buy well to compliment what we have...

i'd much rather him than fat sam any day, or rafa...

he did build a great chelsea side and a great valencia side. he also worked miracles at juve and they went into freefall without him. the roma job was a bad one to take on but he's from rome and couldn't resist. i don't know enough about atletico to comment.

from what he did at chelsea though he could be a good appointment in the way that he would buy well to compliment what we have...

i'd much rather him than fat sam any day, or rafa...

I do not want him, fat sam or rafa. He may have built a great side at Chelsea, but he was given alot of money. Could he do the same at Villa with a much smaller budget and a brief to cut the wage bill?

He has been awayy from the premiership since 2004 and I think he would find it tough to come back, just like Houllier did.

Ranieri is another one who has had a break from the Premiership. The league constants moves on and I think he'll have been left behind. Not for me. No doubts he'd bring in the odd very useful player, but so would someone already managing in this league.

Ranieri would be a great choice.

Ranieri would be a terrible choice.

He's been sacked/resigned from his last five jobs.

Isn't that what usually happens?

Resigned because he was about to be sacked.

Ranieri took the Juventus Serie B team and got them third in the league in his first season [expected tbf]. And was sacked after Mourinho's Inter Milan won the league in his next season (Juve finished 2nd).

He won the league with Roma didnt he? Then had a bad season this season, shit happens.

Going to wiki for his other jobs: He rescued Parma from relegation and then left to be Juve Manager.

Only sacked from Valencia after getting knocked out of Uefa cup... he got a lot further than we have in recent years.

At Chelsea he got the clubs best league position in 49 years and got to the semi finals of the Champions League but was under heavy pressure from the start of Ambramovic's reign.

The core of the Chelsea team which won two Premier League titles under Mourinho, including John Terry, Petr Čech, Arjen Robben, William Gallas, Claude Makelele, and Frank Lampard were all brought to Chelsea or nurtured by Ranieri.

And thats his last 5 jobs. So yes he has resigned or sacked from them (obviously as thats how any manager finishes a job. Doesn't sound that bad to me to be honest.