Barry Bannan

villianusa

I'm sure I had a match box on my desk this morning but it appears to have vanished..... I suspect the work of Villa's very own borrower Bannan who has nicked it for a bed.

The issue for me with Bannan has never been his physical stature, I don't really see it as a big (pardon the pun) issue. My issue with him is I just don't think he is any good, I don't think he has anything going for him at all, he has no redeeming elements to his game not even his 'world class' crossing.

He contributes nothing and we carry him week after week and he isn't good enough to deserve that, we are not good enough to allow for that and so I want him out the team. In fact given his age, lack of progress and in my view lack of ability I'd be quite happy to see him out of the club.

Obviously there are others I'd like to see the back of as well as Bannan but none that have quite such a regular role within the team.

I'm sure some take issue with his height but it is a side issue and one that is a useful diversion from the real issue most people have with him, his lack of impact in games and almost complete lack of end product.

Disagree completely. He doesn't contribute "nothing" and he isn't "carried." That's not just ludicrous exaggeration it is flat wrong.

He's contributed 46 accurate crosses in 106 balls. Best in the Premier League. He's contributed 30 key passes - the most of any Villa player except Benteke. That is "end product."

This season Bannan's proved he does have ability which stands out in the Premier League. Is he the complete player yet ready to carry the team? No.

Bannan has played only half the time available and when he's played we've usually been a better side but he's not the kind of player who can grab and dominate a game like Steven Gerrard.

Lower your expectations and you will appreciate what a useful player Bannan has been for the team.

Edited by Con

I don't think he has anything going for him at all, he has no redeeming elements to his game...

He contributes nothing and we carry him week after week and he isn't good enough to deserve that, we are not good enough to allow for that and so I want him out the team. In fact given his age, lack of progress and in my view lack of ability I'd be quite happy to see him out of the club.

Obviously there are others I'd like to see the back of as well as Bannan but none that have quite such a regular role within the team....

Disagree completely. He doesn't contribute "nothing" and he isn't "carried." That's not just ludicrous exaggeration it is flat wrong.

He's contributed 46 accurate crosses in 106 balls. Best in the Premier League. He's contributed 30 key passes - the most of any Villa player except Benteke. That is "end product."

This season Bannan's proved he does have ability which stands out in the Premier League. Is he the complete player yet ready to carry the team? No.

Bannan has played only half the time available and when he's played we've usually been a better side but he's not the kind of player who can grab and dominate a game like Steven Gerrard.

Lower your expectations and you will appreciate what a useful player Bannan has been for the team.

I'm somewhere between these 2 views. I think he can and does contribute. The stats Con put up show that. I feel that with BB the issue is basically 2 fold on the negative side, maybe 3 fold - 1. He doesn't select the right ball to play often enough, or he selects the wrong one too often. When he picks the right pass, he's good. The question is can you tolerate the continued selection of bad options from him.

The second issue is confidence, and that's something that's affecting the whole team.

The third is his behaviour away from the ground - drinking and driving, and other things.

On the plus side he can pick a pass, he's a nifty player when on form, and he works harder than alternatives such as Ireland. He doesn't hide, he shows for the ball. He chases back and so on.

In an ideal world he'd be able to be rested more often, he'd be less concentrated on because we'd have a better squad.

A few months ago, everyone seemed to be on Delph's case, but he's now playing well. I'm not bannan's biggest fan, but he's nowhere near as "useless" as seems to be the view of a number of people. Struggling sides all have a scapegoat, and he's ours at the moment. People become pre-disposed to knock certain players.

Are you listening to yourself? Ability which stands out in the Premier League? End product?

You need to lay off the glue.

Bannan is a good passer of the ball, every now and again he'll produce a quality set piece too. (Shame nobody on our team can aim a header!) BUT he just can't be a CM. I'd say Bannan would play well in the CF role without defensive jobs on his mind. Putting him at CM is causing us to be badly overrun in the middle of the park.

If we can't fit him in the CF role, use him as a substitute as a CF. NOT for a CM job.

If Bannan stays in the team and continues to impress and be much more consistent at ilmore basic stuff, regular passing, not dawdling looking for the hollywood pass and getting caught in possession, he will be top quality.

People keep saying I must be Bannan or his Dad or a friend... I'm none of those things. I'm a fan who wants a team that plays the sort of football a Barry Bannan would give it.

When I read hateful screeds against him, I'm not just reading the words, I'm thinking

"this person doesn't want the team to have any creativity - no, no, that's not true".

"this person would rather we play long ball rather than short passes - no, that's not true either".

"this person is the enemy of football as we know it!!! - no, calm down, that's not true".

I'd be very happy if we went in the transfer market and upgraded to the Barry BannanPlatinum and we sold our existing one. Until we do that I will continue to be supportive of our most creative players, especially the ones that work hard.

I think he's over confident, I think he gets excited and plays a big pass when most of the time he should keep it simple, it's youthful inexperience. He should watch Scholes, he always has a picture in his head and picks the right pass nearly every time he has the ball.

Let the ball do the work, it doesn't always have to go forward, use your head, always look for to take up a position to receive the ball, play the next pass in your head before you receive the ball and do it for 90, would be my advice - for what it's worth, which is very little.  

I like his confidence, he needs more nous and composure. 

He gets assists of assists right?

Involved in the build-up to goals, such as the second against Liverpool and the corner against Reading which lead directly to the penalty. We won those matches.

You are referring to English football? It is very easy to find 'short' top players abroad. You need to do your own research on this, visit some wikipedia pages. 

English football, Allen, Brittan, Rosicky, Mata. Fabragas, Gordon Strachan, Ossie Ardiles.

The template is well established even in English football you don't have to "dig" very far at all if you have a normal amount of knowledge of the game.

Apologies for not holding all my information in a spreadsheet... however, Bannan still isn't a Premier League player and no amount of gigabytes, SQL Databases or pretty excel graphs will convince me otherwise.

I play a lot of poker and some of the players I'm against have fantastic stats (usually through a lucky tournament or two), though they aren't very good poker players. The same holds true for Bannan IMO.

How many of his key passes are to Benteke from corners?

According to Squawka, 30% of his key passes (they count "chances", whoscored.com calls them 'key passes') have been from those segments of the pitch that does not include the corner flag.

That means a minimum 9-10 from open play or free kicks, plus any crosses he may have had from open play in the corner segments. 

Not all his corners are to Benteke, he's also had key passes to Baker and Clark. Not that who he passes to would be relevant for the statistics. Benteke is not the only 6'3 player in the league.

Edited by Con

In other words, most. And we're notoriously shit from corners - in fact, the one we scored from was taken by somebody else.

A floated delivery no less.

We've nearly scored from Bannan deliveries at corners. Benteke had his floaty from Bannan cleared off the line. The Baker effort on to the bar was a whipped delivery. We don't get many of those. 

We haven't scored from his key passes that were corners and we haven't scored from his key passes that were not corners. Perhaps the quality of these key passes might not be what you're pretending to think they are? Opta don't measure quality.

I can't be arsed with this, the above is total bollocks.

Lower my expectations? According to you he is potentially a world class player and is already a world class crosser.

Laughable.