Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is £20M a ridiculous offer then? (copywrite A MCleish)

Would you want them to turn it down and let it drag on all summer?

Exactly. Sell him now and get some replacements in. I think alot of our business depended on Downing. Now that hes gone, we can crack on and start making some propper plans. 20m for Downing is a fooking good price.

UTV

So is £20M a ridiculous offer then? (copywrite A MCleish)

Would you want them to turn it down and let it drag on all summer?

Well actually I'd like to have kept our best players by demonstrating some clear ambition and vision for how success will be brought to Villa, not by words but by concrete actions (the sort of actions Krulak(remember him?) has been saying the club will demonstrate) actions which prove to players that we have just a good a chance of competing for a european or even champions league place as the clubs they are leaving to join who also have no european competion this season.

Then if that was not possible I would like the club and its employees to be honest with the fan base and not try and palm us off with , at best , bull shit and at worst lies to try and placate us. Mind you that is always successful as most fans buy it anyway.

So when Mcleish and others say "he is not going unless we get a ridiculous offer" fans think "great some balls by the club". When in reality Mcleish and the club knew full well that they could never stick to that.

We sign a player on crutches and he gives us one full season and then wants away. :angry: Losing one player like this in a summer is unfortunate but it is something we have come to anticipate but to lose two is not acceptable and gives the manager a mountain to climb just to maintain our position at the end of last season. Downing is just another example of the player of today who thinks nothing of the club he plays for and whose thoughts are for himself first, second and last. A sad day for football and for our football club. Let us hope this is the last player that leaves in these circumstances although I worry whether now the supply line that Bent had given as a big reason for signing has dried up whether he might also be tempted if the right words are spoken to his agent. We had better sign some players soon to prove that we have not become a selling club!

actions which prove to players that we have just a good a chance of competing for a european or even champions league place as the clubs they are leaving to join who also have no european competion this season.

Then if that was not possible

It isnt possible. So get that pipe dream out of your head. We dont have the funds to get anywhere near those expectations. We could spend outside our means to push for it but would almost certainly fail, bankrupt ourselves and do a Leeds.

Yes, it did.

Did they forget to tell McLeish or did he know before his meeting?

What do you expect him to say?!

'yeah of course, if Stewart wants to go then we have no choice but to sell'

Hence meaning that clubs will see him as an easy target who they could get on the cheap. When in actual fact he did the correct thing and said

'we dont want to sell and it would take a crazy offer for us to consider it'

Hence a chance of holding onto the player or at the very least pushing his price up if Liverpool are that silly to pay it. Which it turns out they were.

Yes, it did.

Why do you always have to be so patronising towards people? it doesnt make you look big or clever, tbh it just makes people have no respect for what you post and in turn they come to the conclusion that your a bit of an idiot.

Yes, it did.

Why do you always have to be so patronising towards people? it doesnt make you look big or clever, tbh it just makes people have no respect for what you post and in turn they come to the conclusion that your a bit of an idiot.

Any chance you could stick to the subject matter of the thread, i.e. Downing, please?

Yes, it did.

Any chance you could stick to the subject matter of the thread, i.e. Downing, please?

Anything for you sweetheart.

Downing...glad the saga is over. Move on.

Yes, it did.

What do you expect him to say?!

If what he or the club is to say on other matters is to be believed then the truth or nothing.

My problem is that it has the potential to come back and bite McLeish and/or the club on the arse if or when things may not go well and I think it's just another thing not thought through in terms of a potential handicapping of the club/manager's position.

My problem is that it has the potential to come back and bite McLeish and/or the club on the arse if or when things may not go well and I think it's just another thing not thought through in terms of a potential handicapping of the club/manager's position.

Oh i think this has been thought through, and it been thought through alot. McLeish would be fully aware of Downings situation when he sat down with Lerner at the interview stage. Hes made it clear as day he wants to leave. If anything, McLeish has played a blinder by eventually making Liverpool pay what we wanted to pay. That money will now go a LONG way to making the squad much stronger all round, rather than a couple of primadonnas on the wings who think the world revolves around them.

Oh i think this has been thought through, and it been thought through alot. McLeish would be fully aware of Downings situation when he sat down with Lerner at the interview stage. Hes made it clear as day he wants to leave. If anything, McLeish has played a blinder by eventually making Liverpool pay what we wanted to pay. That money will now go a LONG way to making the squad much stronger all round, rather than a couple of primadonnas on the wings who think the world revolves around them.

How the **** do you know the money will be used on the squad? Also what makes you even think McLeish will attract quality here or even decent replacements? Clinging on false hope again?

How the **** do you know the money will be used on the squad? Also what makes you even think McLeish will attract quality here or even decent replacements? Clinging on false hope again?

Why 'the ****' wouldnt it?!?!

Just because you automatically assume the worst at every moment doesnt mean the worst is gonna happen!!! Im tellin ya, that 40m from Young and Downing will go back into the squad. Even if not all of it NOW, then a large portion now and another chunk of it in Jan.

Take some prozac will ya ffs

You don't know otherwise either. Wait until the end of the transfer window before crying.

So, your contention is that he and the club were going to be selling Downing all along and that they chose that meeting where they were supposed to be allaying the fears of the fanbase to lie in order to drive up the transfer fee?

And for the sake of wiggyrichard, this isn't meant to be patronising; I am just trying to get it clear in my mind what Stu is saying he believes has gone on.

Edited.

Why 'the ****' wouldnt it?!?!

Just because you automatically assume the worst at every moment doesnt mean the worst is gonna happen!!! Im tellin ya, that 40m from Young and Downing will go back into the squad. Even if not all of it NOW, then a large portion now and another chunk of it in Jan.

Take some prozac will ya ffs

But the worst keeps happening. Where's the positives? We've done absoutely nothing in the transfer market. We've instead released and sold players and paid huge amounts of compenstation across MON, Houllier and McLeish.

You.....HONESTLY think we'll spend 40m?! Haha, you're gonna be disappointed yet again!!!!

Â