Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Keenan, wherever you are, please can you take a break from posting fixtures and rename the thread to something more appropriate? "Downing: I'm a word removed" or something similar. :thumb:

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know but I'm certain Liverpool wouldn't jump from £15m (if true) to a figure of well over £20m in the space of a few days. Sounds to me that Downing handing in a transfer request made a big difference.

I'd imagine the fee of up to £20m is about right

I think when this comes out in the wash we'll ALL have a pretty good idea of what's gone on and have an idea of the fee.

Don't forget LFC's stupid owners was spouting off he was determined to back Dalglish to the tune of £100M last weekend.

Do you not think Villa wouldn't have played hardball? They did over Barry who ALSO put in a transfer request let's not forget!!! Liverpool failed because they didn't have the balls to pay what he was worth. They learnt a lesson Randy & Villa won't be messed with.

If what I've picked up is rollocks then the only other scenario is that the replacement AM had lined up for Downing was looking sorted so we decided to get rid for the best possible price

here did they advertise they were going to spend £100m?

As someone else has pointed out, I think you fancy yourself as abit of an ITK. Stop passing Kendricks tweets and articles off as some sort of inside info. Wink

kendrick doesn't always get things right anyhow... and as I said if I'm going on rumours off twitter I always say.

Anyhow I'm not justifying myself. I don't have to!

The Liverpool idiot was quoted in last weeks papers about £100M. Just follow the trail back via Newsnow!!

Look, when a player wants to leave the club, that's all that matters. The rest is just paperwork, PR, spin and bollocks.

As much as I hate the clearing in the woods right now, the more important thing to consider is why our best players want to leave. The answers are obvious and are hard to take but that's football.

One thing though, has Ash signed a new contract and stayed, there is no way Downing would have said a word.

Also my dear Watson ... just read Paul Faulkner's statement again from B'ham Mail...

"Villa chief executive Paul Falkner told the Mail: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing and have subsequently given them permission to speak to the player."

Now read it again.

What came first in that... the transfer request from Downing or the bid from Liverpool?

I would suggest that the quotes imply that the bid from Liverpool came in first and Downing submitted a formal transfer request once he was informed of the bid.

So by a means of dedcution...surely The bid in itself however much it was......was obviously enough to tempt Villa into selling this time.

Sorry if I'm doing my Miss Marple impression but wanted to make the point that the fee I think you'll find is higher than is being reported, but I would suspect both clubs would like it undisclosed.

Look, when a player wants to leave the club, that's all that matters.

No, it isn't.

So what do we do? Say to Downing "you're not going anywhere". He bitches and moans. We go through the same thing in January, then again next summer when he leaves for a fraction of the fee.

He's left because as a club we are going absolutely nowhere and he's right. He's just had his best season in the Premier League, why would he want to spend the next couple of years scrapping for 12th position for half the money he's probably getting at Liverpool?

No, it isn't.

So what do we do? Say to Downing "you're not going anywhere".

Yes.

He doesn't 'bitch and moan' or do anything else that is going to directly negatively impact upon his 'star' (either for England purposes or for his wanting to go elsewhere).

The ITK's were rightly ridiculed after their part in the managerial disaster.

And wrongly so... because AM wasn't RL's No 1 target!! However when we couldn't get him... what to do?!!

But what's the point in trying to reason with fans who just want to moan.

I'm not happy about Downing leaving neither... I would simply have told him and Liverpool to do one... However we'd have probably had all this in January and if the Bindippers came in with a stupid offer that was daft to turn down... then so be it!

I know people will be saying how we are a 'selling club' etc...but you have to admit if that is the case, we are bloody brilliant at it. We've made a stupid amount of profit off 4-5 players in a few years

it doesnt even make up for the money we lost on complete and utter failures th

ough

Also my dear Watson ... just read Paul Faulkner's statement again from B'ham Mail...

"Villa chief executive Paul Falkner told the Mail: "I can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Liverpool following an improved offer received earlier today and the submission of a formal transfer request by Stewart Downing and have subsequently given them permission to speak to the player."

Now read it again.

What came first in that... the transfer request from Downing or the bid from Liverpool?

I would suggest that the quotes imply that the bid from Liverpool came in first and Downing submitted a formal transfer request once he was informed of the bid.

So by a means of dedcution...surely The bid in itself however much it was......was obviously enough to tempt Villa into selling this time.

Sorry if I'm doing my Miss Marple impression but wanted to make the point that the fee I think you'll find is higher than is being reported, but I would suspect both clubs would like it undisclosed.

Transfer request handed in YESTERDAY.

The fee is £18.5m rising to £20m by all accounts. I'd imagine Villa would put it out there if the fee was higher if that was the case, to placate the fans.

No, it isn't.

So what do we do? Say to Downing "you're not going anywhere".

thats exactly what you say. you sit him down and you say "remember that contract you signed? that's legally binding. now get out there and play football like we pay you to do, and when we want to sell you we'll sell you"

instead, we now have everyone knowing that as soon as a player says they want to go, we'll bend over and sell them. that's nonsense. you need to make a stand

Now read it again.

The fee is £18.5m rising to £20m by all accounts. I'd imagine Villa would put it out there if the fee was higher if that was the case, to placate the fans.

i reckon its 18.5 min and the handing in transfer request saves us the LOYALTY bonus.

hopethe bastard handed it in with gritted teeth. greedy ****

I think you'll find that SD had been told he was wasting his time handing one in unless the right bid came in for him.

Don't forget we played hardball with the same club over Barry and not signing them messed the remainder of FSW's reign up dreadfully because Alonso left as a consequence of the hoped for Barry & Stevie show. So Liverpool know EXACTLY who they are dealing with!

Anyhow it's pointless discussing because I'm sure things will come out in the next few days.

I think you'll find that SD had been told he was wasting his time handing one in unless the right bid came in for him.

Whats that got to do with it? Your theory has just been exposed as bullshit unfortunately. He handed in a transfer request Tuesday and the third and successful bid came in Wednesday night. Then the right bid did come in and guess what? A £20m deal agreed. :winkold:

Villa want to make this deal look as good as possible, if a 'huge' offer had come in like you suggested (for some reason), the club would want that to be out in the public. :winkold:

Dear Stan,

If you could please finish the job you started on Downing's career upon his return to Villa Park, I will thank you with the finest Halva this side of Haskovo.

Â