The New Condem Government

bickster

Esther McVey: What I will say is that we are putting in place support for those housing associations and local authorities that are finding that they cannot come to terms with the issue, although they have had three years to do something and have failed to do so.

which may be an abridged version of her reply possibly ??

What do you think "come to terms with the issue" means?  Government policy now is that people on benefit should live in a property which is the exactly correct size of them in respect of the number of bedrooms.

Housing policy for over 100 years has been to develop a housing stock which can meet the changing needs of the household which occupies it, recognising that people have kids, the kids move out, people die.  And also recognising that housing stock is used by many different households over its habitable life, not designed to meet only the absolute minimum space requirements of the people currently occupying it.

It follows from this that at any time, many properties will have spare space.  Anything else would be utter madness, hence the taxi and cinema analogies.

So what does "come to terms with the issue" mean?  Reduce the size of the properties to which they have allocated these people?  Magic up some smaller properties, so they can force people to move to them while leaving the existing slightly larger ones empty?

The bedroom tax is a bitter, spiteful policy, punishing people for things outside their control, and pushing the idea that if you've been placed in a two-bed flat but you really only need one bed, then you're cheating the rest of us.

It is based on profound ignorance of housing policy, the nature of the housing stock, and the realities facing all housing providers.  It is driven by the mean-minded spite that would rather force people to move to smaller, dearer housing far away from family and friends than allow they to have the "luxury" of a spare room where their kids might stay when visiting.

In its petty, vindictive, small-minded, nasty spitefulness, it sums up in one policy what is most objectionable, repellent and sick-making about this crew of thieving spivs and chancers who have taken over the government.  Vile, ugly people, with the moral standing of someone who walks round the scene of an accident picking pockets.

• Like 2

Did that very charming lady (not) Esther McVey really suggest that people should convert 3 bed roomed houses into 1 bed roomed so that people would avoid the bedroom tax?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sheila-gilmore/bedroom-tax_b_4113544.html

She is clearly as thick as pig shit. What's perhaps more worrying is how thick the **** who voted for her have got to be.

She may or may not be stupid, but she can't defend the indefensible, that's why her attempt sounds so bizarre - but she had to give it a go, it's her job. But then, she's a willing member of the party that came up with this and other ridiculous, heartless and ill thought through ideas in the first place so... **** up ideologist, or naive and stupid, who knows.

at the risk of Ahhhh but , wasn't this introduced by Labour in the Local Housing Allowance rules for tenants in privately owned accommodation

Tenants in private rented choose their accommodation.

Tenants in social housing don't.

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:

Esther McVey: What I will say is that we are putting in place support for those housing associations and local authorities that are finding that they cannot come to terms with the issue, although they have had three years to do something and have failed to do so.

What do you think "come to terms with the issue" means? 

ah my bad , Cleary I should have gone to an online dictionary and looked up " come to terms"  and I would have seen the definition as "convert 3 bed roomed houses into 1 bed roomed houses "  

anyway did she say it or not , that was all I was trying to ascertain   ..

it gets better actually

so number 10 on the list

Tories have axed 5,601 Nurses since May 2010  (evidence

the evidence takes you to a twitter page  ..of .... Dr Eoin Clarke :crylaugh:

Ok on the facts, lets look at them. That looks about a 1.5 %. Wouldn't you expect about 2.5% to retire each year at least and about another .5% to just leave the profession. So if thats the case, Haven't about 22,000 left the NHS naturally. It very much looks as though no one was sacked as he claims but about 15,000 have been recruited. Now he might not think that is enough but isn't it just sensationalism reporting

NHSstaffing_zpsd7af5108.jpg

Not sure what that graph proves , unless I'm missing the point. Having tried to compare the NHS stats this eoin bloke used then compared them to your graph its more misleading. Your graph goes back to 2008, but the nhs one only goes back to 2009. So I looked at the 2009 figure and worked from there. I looks like there are 2500 fewer nurses, now from then. which represents about a .7% In that period about 30,000 would have left naturally

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:39 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:25 PM, said:

Kingfisher, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:18 PM, said:

markavfc40, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:05 PM, said:

drat01, on 21 Oct 2013 - 3:26 PM, said:

Did that very charming lady (not) Esther McVey really suggest that people should convert 3 bed roomed houses into 1 bed roomed so that people would avoid the bedroom tax?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/sheila-gilmore/bedroom-tax_b_4113544.html

She is clearly as thick as pig shit. What's perhaps more worrying is how thick the **** who voted for her have got to be.

She may or may not be stupid, but she can't defend the indefensible, that's why her attempt sounds so bizarre - but she had to give it a go, it's her job. But then, she's a willing member of the party that came up with this and other ridiculous, heartless and ill thought through ideas in the first place so... **** up ideologist, or naive and stupid, who knows.

at the risk of Ahhhh but , wasn't this introduced by Labour in the Local Housing Allowance rules for tenants in privately owned accommodation

Tenants in private rented choose their accommodation.

Tenants in social housing don't.

so that's a yes then  .. cool

right what's next in the list of Labour policies that we want to criticise ?

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:

ah my bad , Cleary I should have gone to an online dictionary and looked up " come to terms"  and I would have seen the definition as "convert 3 bed roomed houses into 1 bed roomed houses "  

In the sentence you quote from her response in Hansard, what do you think she means by housing associations coming to terms with the issue?  What?

Do you really, sincerely not understand that the bedroom tax is punishing people for a situation not of their making?  Really?

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:

QuoteQuote

In the sentence you quote from her response in Hansard, what do you think she means by housing associations coming to terms with the issue?  What?

My question was quite clear  ... did she say it or didn't she ?   

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:45 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM, said:

Do you really, sincerely not understand that the bedroom tax is punishing people for a situation not of their making?  Really?

Do you really , sincerely not understand that the question raised was about "she's a willing member of the party that came up with this and other ridiculous, heartless and ill thought through ideas in the first place "

and not the social consequences of Labours idea

• Like 1

drat01, on 21 Oct 2013 - 3:16 PM, said:

interesting today that a Tory MP is seemingly brought to task by the Torygraph for telling a one legged beggar to "get a job"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10392829/Tory-MP-tells-one-legged-beggar-to-get-a-job.html

I was sure that link was going to take me to an episode of the New Statesman and Alan B'stard  ...

Never heard of Kawczynski but he's a clearing in the woods for making comments like that 

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:

QuoteQuote

I don't think you get it.  There is no way that housing associations can magically change their housing stock to match the exact bedroom size requirements of current occupants as retrospectively decreed by the government.  Converting flats, though insane, would probably come the closest.

But if you think there's a feasible and less barking course of action which would constitute "coming to terms with" the situation created by the government, do share.

1. Tories have axed 576 Sure Start Centres (evidence) The evidence that they do any good is weak.
  2. Bankers' Bonuses rise by 64% in just 1 year (evidence) Is this the business of government?
  3. Food Bank usage has grown by 700%+ in 3 years (evidence) Is this the result of the recession, gov policy or more foodbanks available?
  4. 1 million are now employed on Zero-Hours Contracts (evidence) Is this result of the present gov's employment law or the last?
  5. The Disabled have suffered real term cuts of 1.7% this year in benefits (here) Bad but bigger loss through policy of high inflation.
  6. 52,701 firms have been declared Insolvent (Q2 2010 to Q2 2013) (evidence) The government have kept int, rates as low as poss.
  7. 379,968 persons have been declared Insolvent (Q2 2010 to Q2 2013)  (evidence) Personal debt and recession are a bad combination.
  8. Unemployment is 20,000+ higher today than May 2010 (evidence & here) Economy flat, net immigration still very high. 
  9. Private Rental Homes costs £9,084 to rent (£1,128 up from Apr 2010) (evidence & here) Property Inflation and increasing population raises rent costs.
  10. Tories have axed 5,601 Nurses since May 2010  (evidence) Broken promise not to cut NHS but only 1.6% of total number of nurses.
  11. Council Tax rises imposed on the poor & disabled have led to 450,000 being dragged to courts since April (evidence) Nasty
  12. 1 million people have had to sell their family home to pay for Elderly Care in the last 5 years (in fairness that include 2 years of a Labour government). Cameron promised no one would have to sell their family home to pay for elderly care (evidence here) Labour policy too.
  13. More than 250,000 Disabled people have been forced to take place in the Work Programme unpaid (here) Nasty
  14. Water Charges  are up 20% since 1 Apr 2010  (herehere, here) Privatised water companies not remedied by Labour.
  15. 20% of Law Firms are facing bankruptcy and 500 shut in 6 months amid Legal Aid cuts (evidence) I can't fee sorry for lawyers.
  16. Stamp Prices are up 46-56% since May 2010 (evidence) Fattening up for privatisation - but Labour policy too.
  17. Suicide Rates have climbed 8% in just 1 year reaching their highest levels since 2004 (evidence) Causes are too complicated to blame one gov.
  18. Number of Children in Class Sizes of more than 30 has doubled in a year (here) Class-size obsession was a political obsession, evidence weak.
  19. Free Schools are under-subscribed but they get more money per pupil & freeze out poor kids (herehere & here) Bad waste of money.
  20. Tories axed 5,000 Firefighters and hundreds of Fire Stations. Evidence of the impact in London alone (here) Bad
  21. Waiting Lists for families seeking to rent social housing have soared to record highs (evidence here) See 9
  22. Housing Benefit Bill has climbed to more than £20 billion as Private Landloards cash in with record rents (evidence) See 9
  23. The number of Cancelled Operations in our NHS have doubled and are at their worst for 8 years (evidence) Bad
  24. OBR predict Household Debt will grow more than £500bn this parliament thus continuing Labour's awful record of encouraging personal debt (here) Labour also to blame for credit boom.
  25. The Tories sold the Royal Mail for 50% less than it's now valued (evidence) Bad
  26. Gas Prices are up 31% since May 2010 (evidence) The pound has been weakened by gov policy so all imports more expensive + inflation
  27. Homelessness is up 28-34% since May 2010  (evidence & here
  28. Rough Sleeping in London has grown 85% since Boris Johnson became Mayor (evidence) Bad
  29. House Building, last year, fell to a 90 year peacetime low  (evidence) Bad under previous government too.
  30. Electricity prices are up 22-39% in price since May 2010 (evidence) Expensive energy is policy of all parties: VAT, Green loading.
  31. The UK suffered a 97% drop in Affordable House starts in 6 months under Grant Shapps  (evidence) Labour's property boom raised prices.
  32. £12bn+ of NHS has been put up for sale under this government (evidence) Bad
  33. 33% of NHS Walk In Centres have been axed  (evidence) Bad
  34. Wage Growth is just 0.7% which is much lower than inflation  (evidence) Governments can't make private firms put wages + recession.
  35. Profit Tax is to be cut by 25% (from 28% to 21%)  (evidence) Bad 
  36. 3.5 million now live in Child Poverty as Tory welfare cuts & sluggish wage growth bite (evidence) Flat economic growth and poverty is relative.
  37. 800,000 more households are living in Fuel Poverty & this excludes the impact of recent price rises (evidence) See 30
  38. Numbers of Working Poor have doubled in 3 years & include homes with 2.2mill children (evidence) Relative poverty not absolute.
  39. Numbers living in temporary accommodation have grown 11.4% since Q2 2010 (here) Product of free market policies and lack of social housing.
  40. 'The 50p rate' High Earner Tax  was cut by 10% (from 50p to 45p)  (evidence) They still pay a lot of tax
  41. VAT Tax was hiked by 14% (from 17.5% to 20%)  (evidence) Bad + regressive tax.
  42. EMA was scrapped for 500,000 as drop out rates climb (evidence) Bad and inconsistent with so-called aims
  43. Bedroom Tax clobbered 660,000 of which 2/3rs are disabled & 1/4 single parents  (evidence) Bad - nasty, stupid and punitive.
  44. The Tories and their Lib Dem pals trebled Tuition Fees  (evidence) Bad would Labour have done different?
  45. Record number of PFI contracts signed in the first year of a Tory government  (evidence) Expensive but continuation of prev policy
  46. Bus Fares are up 22% under the Tories (here, herehere) Bad and not Green.
  47. £5bn spent on back to work schemes that are less than 2% successful  (evidence) Bad but Job Centre not fit for purpose for decades.
  48. 7,968 Hospital Beds Axed  (evidence) Bad
  49. Rail Fares are up 27% since 2010 (here, here) Bad but would Labour have done much different?
  50. The Number of GCSE Students getting A/A* Grades has fallen by 6% since 2010 (From 22.6 to 21.3) Should they increase for ever?
  51. 35,000 Police personnel have lost their jobs under the Tories (evidence) The more the better?
  52. 42,000 Armed Forces personnel to lose their jobs even though £2bn went unspent (here & here) Fewer to be shot at in America's wars.
  53. Tories abolished Equality Impact Assessments to cover up the immorality of their policies (here) Another PC bureaucracy.
  54. Tories lost several court cases against NHS closures & the Risk Register (eg here) Government cover-ups whatever next?
  55. The Tories halved a worker's right to 90 days Redundancy Notice (here) Bad - adding to Labour's anti-worker laws.
  56. £168m in donations raked in by Tories including £20m from Private Health  (evidence) Nice to know who their string-pullers are.
  57. Chair of UK Statistics Authority tells Gove to stop lying about Education  (here) Standard government spin
  58. Chair of UK Statistics Authority tells Hunt to stop lying about NHS Spending (here) see 57
  59. Chair of UK Statistics Authority tells Cameron to stop lying about Debt Reduction (here) see 57
  60. National Debt has risen £447 billion  (evidence) make your mind up; is debt good or bad?
  61. NHS Spending did not rise as promised  (evidence) Bad
  62. NHS 'Never Events' have more than trebled  (evidence) Bad 
  63. NHS Negligence complaints lodged have increased 49% since 2010  (evidence & here) Bad
  64. 35,000+ NHS Staff have been axed  (evidence) out of 1.4 million
  65. 5,000 Firefighters have been axed  (evidence) out of 44300
  66. Minimum Wage rises have been below inflation every year of Tory rule (evidence) They didn't want to close the differential
  67. University Applications fell by 6% in Jan 2013 (here) People simply didn't understand the tuition fee deal.
  68. 20 Treatments are no longer free on the NHS in parts of England  (evidence) But only in some places of England
  69. 10 Prisons have been axed & 4 more are to close (evidence & here) Britain's prison population is second only to America.
  70. Profit Making Prisons have been opened  (evidence) Bad but Labour's PPI wasn't much better.
  71. The Tax Gap has grown by £3bn to £35bn in the last year alone [evasion/avoidance] (evidence) All Brit governments bad at this.
  72. 6% of Prison Cells have been cut in 1 year  (evidence) See 69
  73. £829m cut from the Children's & Families Budget  (evidence) But how were they spending it?
  74. The percentage of A-Level Students getting A/A* has fallen 3% since 2010 (here) Should it go up every year?
  75. Food Prices are up 19% under the Tories  (evidence) Inflationary policies will increase price of imports, supply and demand causes the rest
  76. 11,000 Fat Cat NHS Bosses given a 13% pay hike while nurses pay frozen (evidence) Bad
  77. At least a third of Ambulance Stations have been axed since 2010 (evidence) Evidence only applies to area in East Midlands
  78. NHS GP Funding cut by £400 million (evidence) Bad -broke promise.
  79. NHS Funding For Cancer, Stroke & Heart Patients cut by 12-26% (evidence) Bad
  80. A&Es waiting times at their worst for 8+ years  (here) They need to learn some tricks used by Labour
  81. Michael Gove overspent £1bn on Free Schools & Academies at State Schools expense (evidence) Expensive bollocks
  82. NHS Direct was axed and replaced by a botched and fragmented NHS111 (evidence) Was NHS Direct any good.
  83. NHS Patient Satisfaction went from record high under Labour to record low under Tories (evidence) Meaningless survey.
  84. Government wasted £1.4 billion on NHS Staff Redundancy Payouts (evidence) Usual cost of ideological meddling.
  85. Government axed a plan to rebuild 715 Crumbling Schools (evidence) They should repair them instead.
  86. Just 3% of CEOs in the FTSE 350 are Women & Cameron has fueled a more Sexist tone to our politics (evidence & here)Class based feminism
  87. 31% of UK women have suffered Domestic Abuse and it has risen in 25% after the Tories came to power. Legal Aid cuts, police cuts & the Bedroom Tax make it harder for women to escape it (evidence & here) Can't be separated from affects of recession plus both sexes abuse.
  88. Tories cut Child Benefit for middle-class families while giving tax cuts to millionaires (evidence) Child benefit should be means-tested.
  89. Number of people Working Unpaid is at a 13 year high (evidence sheet 3)  Evidence is just a spread-sheet, so hard to qualify
  90. The Government used your taxes to fund Racist Vans that drove around London warning immigrants to "Go Home". The Advertising Standards Authority has now banned them (evidence) Stupid stunt, controlling borders would be a better idea.
  91. 1.8 million workers now earn less than the National Minimum Wage (evidence) Bad
  92. More than 600,000 Public Sector workers have been axed (evidence sheet 4) From 5.9 million
  93. Job creation: There were more workers born in the UK employed in Britain in Jul-Sept 2010 than 3 years later on 30 June 2013 (sheet 8 rows 64-76) Can't complain about foreigners taking jobs while claiming identifying foreigners is racist.
  94. On world disability day the Tories shut 36 Remploy Factories axed 1,000 disabled workers (here) Bad and contrary to Tories lauding work
  95. Job Creation: 70% of new jobs created in the UK under the Tories have gone to non-UK citizens which makes a lie of the Tory claim they've created a million new jobs (sheet 8 rows 64-76) See 95
  96. 95 Tory Fat Cat Academy Bosses rake in more than MPs with the top 10 giving themselves £2million between them (evidenceevidence) MPs?
  97. The Tories have Privatised Educational Services, Auditing, Consultancy and Prison Services worth £5 billion (evidence & here) Better value or not?
  98. Were it not for Ed Miliband & the pressure of the UK public Cameron would have taken us to war in Syria. That's what the opposition's for. Labour's track-record on military adventures is best ignored.
  99. Tories have Privatised 1 major NHS Hospital, have put another major hospital up for sale and have handed 12 community hospitals to profiteers (herehere & here) Bad
  100. Sure Start Funding has been cut by 28% as Cameron breaks his SureStart promise (evidence) No proof the scheme did much good.
Edited by MakemineVanilla

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:55 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:46 PM, said:

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM, said:peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:41 PM, said:

peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:peterms, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:37 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:tonyh29, on 21 Oct 2013 - 4:12 PM, said:

QuoteQuoteQuote

I don't think you get it.  There is no way that housing associations can magically change their housing stock to match the exact bedroom size requirements of current occupants as retrospectively decreed by the government.  Converting flats, though insane, would probably come the closest.

But if you think there's a feasible and less barking course of action which would constitute "coming to terms with" the situation created by the government, do share.

it's funny you mention is cause the other day Mrs H was going on about the state of my sons bedroom now he's nearly 9 and coming to terms with it ... Imagine her shock when I mistook such an obvious statement as meaning we should put my son up for adoption and he's being picked up by his new parents tomorrow    ... that's what happens though when people misunderstand words  .. easy mistake to make though as highlighted above

But since we are on about the 4th or 5th exchange now and you still haven't produced anything , can we safely assume she didn't actually say it    ... good  , now lets go to the next episode of mythbusters  and answer the question  does  a cat with buttered bread on his back land on his feet 

• Like 1

MakemineVanilla, on 21 Oct 2013 - 5:11 PM, said:

1. Tories have axed 576 Sure Start Centres (evidence) The evidence that they do any good is weak.
  2. Bankers' Bonuses rise by 64% in just 1 year (evidence) Is this the business of government?
  3. Food Bank usage has grown by 700%+ in 3 years (evidence) Is this the result of the recession, gov policy or more foodbanks available?
  4. 1 million are now employed on Zero-Hours Contracts (evidence) Is this result of the present gov's employment law or the last?
  5. The Disabled have suffered real term cuts of 1.7% this year in benefits (here) Bad but bigger loss through policy of high inflation.
  6. 52,701 firms have been declared Insolvent (Q2 2010 to Q2 2013) (evidence) The government have kept int, rates as low as poss.
  7. 379,968 persons have been declared Insolvent (Q2 2010 to Q2 2013)  (evidence) Personal debt and recession are a bad combination.
  8. Unemployment is 20,000+ higher today than May 2010 (evidence & here) Economy flat, net immigration still very high. 
  9. Private Rental Homes costs £9,084 to rent (£1,128 up from Apr 2010) (evidence & here) Inflation and increasing population raises rent costs.
  10. Tories have axed 5,601 Nurses since May 2010  (evidence) Broken promise not to cut NHS but only 1.6% of total number of nurses.
  11. Council Tax rises imposed on the poor & disabled have led to 450,000 being dragged to courts since April (evidence) Nasty
  12. 1 million people have had to sell their family home to pay for Elderly Care in the last 5 years (in fairness that include 2 years of a Labour government). Cameron promised no one would have to sell their family home to pay for elderly care (evidence here) Labour policy too.
  13. More than 250,000 Disabled people have been forced to take place in the Work Programme unpaid (here) Nasty
  14. Water Charges  are up 20% since 1 Apr 2010  (herehere, here) Privatised water companies not remedied by Labour.
  15. 20% of Law Firms are facing bankruptcy and 500 shut in 6 months amid Legal Aid cuts (evidence) I can't fee sorry for lawyers.
  16. Stamp Prices are up 46-56% since May 2010 (evidence) Fattening up for privatisation - but Labour policy too.
  17. Suicide Rates have climbed 8% in just 1 year reaching their highest levels since 2004 (evidence) Causes are too complicated to blame one gov.
  18. Number of Children in Class Sizes of more than 30 has doubled in a year (here) Class-size obsession was a political obsession, evidence weak.
  19. Free Schools are under-subscribed but they get more money per pupil & freeze out poor kids (herehere & here) Bad waste of money.
  20. Tories axed 5,000 Firefighters and hundreds of Fire Stations. Evidence of the impact in London alone (here) Bad
  21. Waiting Lists for families seeking to rent social housing have soared to record highs (evidence here) See 9
  22. Housing Benefit Bill has climbed to more than £20 billion as Private Landloards cash in with record rents (evidence) See 9
  23. The number of Cancelled Operations in our NHS have doubled and are at their worst for 8 years (evidence) Bad
  24. OBR predict Household Debt will grow more than £500bn this parliament thus continuing Labour's awful record of encouraging personal debt (here) Labour also to blame for credit boom.
  25. The Tories sold the Royal Mail for 50% less than it's now valued (evidence) Bad
  26. Gas Prices are up 31% since May 2010 (evidence) The pound has been weakened by gov policy so all imports more expensive + inflation
  27. Homelessness is up 28-34% since May 2010  (evidence & here
  28. Rough Sleeping in London has grown 85% since Boris Johnson became Mayor (evidence) Bad
  29. House Building, last year, fell to a 90 year peacetime low  (evidence) Bad under previous government too.
  30. Electricity prices are up 22-39% in price since May 2010 (evidence) Expensive energy is policy of all parties: VAT, Green loading.
  31. The UK suffered a 97% drop in Affordable House starts in 6 months under Grant Shapps  (evidence) Labour's property boom raised prices.
  32. £12bn+ of NHS has been put up for sale under this government (evidence) Bad
  33. 33% of NHS Walk In Centres have been axed  (evidence) Bad
  34. Wage Growth is just 0.7% which is much lower than inflation  (evidence) Governments can't make private firms put wages + recession.
  35. Profit Tax is to be cut by 25% (from 28% to 21%)  (evidence) Bad 
  36. 3.5 million now live in Child Poverty as Tory welfare cuts & sluggish wage growth bite (evidence) Flat economic growth and poverty is relative.
  37. 800,000 more households are living in Fuel Poverty & this excludes the impact of recent price rises (evidence) See 30
  38. Numbers of Working Poor have doubled in 3 years & include homes with 2.2mill children (evidence) Relative poverty not absolute.
  39. Numbers living in temporary accommodation have grown 11.4% since Q2 2010 (here) Product of free market policies and lack of social housing.
  40. 'The 50p rate' High Earner Tax  was cut by 10% (from 50p to 45p)  (evidence) They still pay a lot of tax
  41. VAT Tax was hiked by 14% (from 17.5% to 20%)  (evidence) Bad + regressive tax.
  42. EMA was scrapped for 500,000 as drop out rates climb (evidence) Bad and inconsistent with so-called aims
  43. Bedroom Tax clobbered 660,000 of which 2/3rs are disabled & 1/4 single parents  (evidence) Bad - nasty, stupid and punitive.
  44. The Tories and their Lib Dem pals trebled Tuition Fees  (evidence) Bad would Labour have done different?
  45. Record number of PFI contracts signed in the first year of a Tory government  (evidence) Expensive but continuation of prev policy
  46. Bus Fares are up 22% under the Tories (here, herehere) Bad and not Green.
  47. £5bn spent on back to work schemes that are less than 2% successful  (evidence) Bad but Job Centre not fit for purpose for decades.
  48. 7,968 Hospital Beds Axed  (evidence) Bad
  49. Rail Fares are up 27% since 2010 (here, here) Bad but would Labour have done much different?
  50. The Number of GCSE Students getting A/A* Grades has fallen by 6% since 2010 (From 22.6 to 21.3) Should they increase for ever?
  51. 35,000 Police personnel have lost their jobs under the Tories (evidence) The more the better?
  52. 42,000 Armed Forces personnel to lose their jobs even though £2bn went unspent (here & here) Fewer to be shot at in America's wars.
  53. Tories abolished Equality Impact Assessments to cover up the immorality of their policies (here) Another PC bureaucracy.
  54. Tories lost several court cases against NHS closures & the Risk Register (eg here) Government cover-ups whatever next?
  55. The Tories halved a worker's right to 90 days Redundancy Notice (here) Bad - adding to Labour's anti-worker laws.
  56. £168m in donations raked in by Tories including £20m from Private Health  (evidence) Nice to know who their string-pullers are.
  57. Chair of UK Statistics Authority tells Gove to stop lying about Education  (here) Standard government spin
  58. Chair of UK Statistics Authority tells Hunt to stop lying about NHS Spending (here) see 57
  59. Chair of UK Statistics Authority tells Cameron to stop lying about Debt Reduction (here) see 57
  60. National Debt has risen £447 billion  (evidence) make your mind up; is debt good or bad?
  61. NHS Spending did not rise as promised  (evidence) Bad
  62. NHS 'Never Events' have more than trebled  (evidence) Bad 
  63. NHS Negligence complaints lodged have increased 49% since 2010  (evidence & here) Bad
  64. 35,000+ NHS Staff have been axed  (evidence) out of 1.4 million
  65. 5,000 Firefighters have been axed  (evidence) out of 44300
  66. Minimum Wage rises have been below inflation every year of Tory rule (evidence) They didn't want to close the differential
  67. University Applications fell by 6% in Jan 2013 (here) People simply didn't understand the tuition fee deal.
  68. 20 Treatments are no longer free on the NHS in parts of England  (evidence) But only in some places of England
  69. 10 Prisons have been axed & 4 more are to close (evidence & here) Britain's prison population is second only to America.
  70. Profit Making Prisons have been opened  (evidence) Bad but Labour's PPI wasn't much better.
  71. The Tax Gap has grown by £3bn to £35bn in the last year alone [evasion/avoidance] (evidence) All Brit governments bad at this.
  72. 6% of Prison Cells have been cut in 1 year  (evidence) See 69
  73. £829m cut from the Children's & Families Budget  (evidence) But how were they spending it?
  74. The percentage of A-Level Students getting A/A* has fallen 3% since 2010 (here) Should it go up every year?
  75. Food Prices are up 19% under the Tories  (evidence) Inflationary policies will increase price of imports, supply and demand causes the rest
  76. 11,000 Fat Cat NHS Bosses given a 13% pay hike while nurses pay frozen (evidence) Bad
  77. At least a third of Ambulance Stations have been axed since 2010 (evidence) Evidence only applies to area in East Midlands
  78. NHS GP Funding cut by £400 million (evidence) Bad -broke promise.
  79. NHS Funding For Cancer, Stroke & Heart Patients cut by 12-26% (evidence) Bad
  80. A&Es waiting times at their worst for 8+ years  (here) They need to learn some tricks used by Labour
  81. Michael Gove overspent £1bn on Free Schools & Academies at State Schools expense (evidence) Expensive bollocks
  82. NHS Direct was axed and replaced by a botched and fragmented NHS111 (evidence) Was NHS Direct any good.
  83. NHS Patient Satisfaction went from record high under Labour to record low under Tories (evidence) Meaningless survey.
  84. Government wasted £1.4 billion on NHS Staff Redundancy Payouts (evidence) Usual cost of ideological meddling.
  85. Government axed a plan to rebuild 715 Crumbling Schools (evidence) They should repair them instead.
  86. Just 3% of CEOs in the FTSE 350 are Women & Cameron has fueled a more Sexist tone to our politics (evidence & here)Class based feminism
  87. 31% of UK women have suffered Domestic Abuse and it has risen in 25% after the Tories came to power. Legal Aid cuts, police cuts & the Bedroom Tax make it harder for women to escape it (evidence & here) Can't be separated from affects of recession plus both sexes abuse.
  88. Tories cut Child Benefit for middle-class families while giving tax cuts to millionaires (evidence) Child benefit should be means-tested.
  89. Number of people Working Unpaid is at a 13 year high (evidence sheet 3)  Evidence is just a spread-sheet, so hard to qualify
  90. The Government used your taxes to fund Racist Vans that drove around London warning immigrants to "Go Home". The Advertising Standards Authority has now banned them (evidence) Stupid stunt, controlling borders would be a better idea.
  91. 1.8 million workers now earn less than the National Minimum Wage (evidence) Bad
  92. More than 600,000 Public Sector workers have been axed (evidence sheet 4) From 5.9 million
  93. Job creation: There were more workers born in the UK employed in Britain in Jul-Sept 2010 than 3 years later on 30 June 2013 (sheet 8 rows 64-76) Can't complain about foreigners taking jobs while claiming identifying foreigners is racist.
  94. On world disability day the Tories shut 36 Remploy Factories axed 1,000 disabled workers (here) Bad and contrary to Tories lauding work
  95. Job Creation: 70% of new jobs created in the UK under the Tories have gone to non-UK citizens which makes a lie of the Tory claim they've created a million new jobs (sheet 8 rows 64-76) See 95
  96. 95 Tory Fat Cat Academy Bosses rake in more than MPs with the top 10 giving themselves £2million between them (evidenceevidence) MPs?
  97. The Tories have Privatised Educational Services, Auditing, Consultancy and Prison Services worth £5 billion (evidence & here) Better value or not?
  98. Were it not for Ed Miliband & the pressure of the UK public Cameron would have taken us to war in Syria. That's what the opposition's for. Labour's track-record on military adventures is best ignored.
  99. Tories have Privatised 1 major NHS Hospital, have put another major hospital up for sale and have handed 12 community hospitals to profiteers (herehere & here) Bad
  100. Sure Start Funding has been cut by 28% as Cameron breaks his SureStart promise (evidence) No proof the scheme did much good.

you have too much time on your hands :)

• Like 1

Wasn't what introduced as part of the LHA?

Edit: If you're talking about size criteria to be taken in to account by rent officers then it looks like it was this SI in 1989 (it would appear to exclude (schedule 2 point 4) tenancies entered into before 15th January 1989 which would suggest a lack of retrospective action, wouldn't it?).

Edited by snowychap

It's funny you mention is cause the other day Mrs H was going on about the state of my sons bedroom now he's nearly 9 and coming to terms with it ... Imagine her shock when I mistook such an obvious statement as meaning we should put my son up for adoption and he's being picked up by his new parents tomorrow ... that's what happens though when people misunderstand words .. easy mistake to make though as highlighted above

But since we are on about the 4th or 5th exchange now and you still haven't produced anything , can we safely assume she didn't actually say it ... good , now lets go to the next episode of mythbusters and answer the question does a cat with buttered bread on his back land on his feet

I think Peterms is saying 'she said it by implication, which is as good as saying it, but if you don't think that's what was implied please give an alternative implication as you read it to be'.

I'm personally all ears as I read it the same as Peterms, so I am interested to know what you think she meant. An answer would be nice though with the implicit understanding on my part that it's arguing the toss, did she say it? Didn't she say it? It's a terrible policy, it's her party the one she joined and stands for, so it's carried out willingly in her name.

• Like 3

Esther McVey: What I will say is that we are putting in place support for those housing associations and local authorities that are finding that they cannot come to terms with the issue, although they have had three years to do something and have failed to do so. I would like to talk about the 1.8 million people on housing

waiting lists and the 250,000 people in overcrowded accommodation, whom nobody had looked after. We are looking after everybody and supporting them as best we can with discretionary housing payments

That's an earlier answer given at Work and Pension Questions. Here's a later one:

14th Oct Col 433

Esther McVey: This is something we have to do. I have answered this before: how many people we have to look at who are on waiting lists, how many are in overcrowded housing, and how the bill doubled under Labour. The hon. Gentleman is quite right—we have to get the stock right: the fact that there are three-bedroom houses and why in the last three years they have not been modified into one and two-bedroom houses. Those questions have to be asked. That is what we have to do: get the stock right and support people as best we can.

• Like 1

It's funny you mention is cause the other day Mrs H was going on about the state of my sons bedroom now he's nearly 9 and coming to terms with it ... Imagine her shock when I mistook such an obvious statement as meaning we should put my son up for adoption and he's being picked up by his new parents tomorrow ... that's what happens though when people misunderstand words .. easy mistake to make though as highlighted above

But since we are on about the 4th or 5th exchange now and you still haven't produced anything , can we safely assume she didn't actually say it ... good , now lets go to the next episode of mythbusters and answer the question does a cat with buttered bread on his back land on his feet

I think Peterms is saying 'she said it by implication, which is as good as saying it, but if you don't think that's what was implied please give an alternative implication as you read it to be'.

I'm personally all ears as I read it the same as Peterms, so I am interested to know what you think she meant. An answer would be nice though with the implicit understanding on my part that it's arguing the toss, did she say it? Didn't she say it? It's a terrible policy, it's her party the one she joined and stands for, so it's carried out willingly in her name.

Oh you mean like when Gordon Brown said **** you Britain .. Cause although he didn't actually say it by implication he as good as said it

This is like a sketch from Mock the week , I'm expecting a musical interlude followed by a screen saying " things politicians mean when they didn't actually say it "

• Like 1

Esther McVey: What I will say is that we are putting in place support for those housing associations and local authorities that are finding that they cannot come to terms with the issue, although they have had three years to do something and have failed to do so. I would like to talk about the 1.8 million people on housing

waiting lists and the 250,000 people in overcrowded accommodation, whom nobody had looked after. We are looking after everybody and supporting them as best we can with discretionary housing payments

That's an earlier answer given at Work and Pension Questions. Here's a later one:

14th Oct Col 433

Esther McVey: This is something we have to do. I have answered this before: how many people we have to look at who are on waiting lists, how many are in overcrowded housing, and how the bill doubled under Labour. The hon. Gentleman is quite right—we have to get the stock right: the fact that there are three-bedroom houses and why in the last three years they have not been modified into one and two-bedroom houses. Those questions have to be asked. That is what we have to do: get the stock right and support people as best we can.

Well that wasn't so hard was it ... Could have saved countless rounds of Irish catchphrase and " say what you don't see " if it had been linked to in the first place

14th Oct Col 433

Confirmation that she is as thick as pig shit then. Thanks.

• Like 1

Â