Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I think India bowled much better than we did (see the 'third man' stats about bowling at the stumps). That isn't to say that our performance wasn't sub standard - it was - but it isn't quite the calamitous collapse that people were making out (though again the 'stats' suggest collapsing is something that really needs to be addressed and sorted out).

Poor coaching. Moores is not the man for the job. Bad appointment.

Sure the problem of collapses and iffy bowling started before his time, but it really needed someone with more test experience to re-set the mentality and introduce rigour to the players and the plans. He's just not cut out for international coaching IMO. Yet another gobbledegook merchant.

I wouldn't disagree. I think it goes deeper (as you suggest) but it doesn't look like he was the right choice (as a lot of people said in this thread at the time). How long did he last first time around?

Apart from Bell and Moeen, I don't think they can be accused of giving their wicket away and even then it wasn't as though they were out driving at wide ones - Bell was trying to withdraw (that's always a tricky maneouvre ;) ).

I think it's quite interesting that India lost 4 wickets in the space of virtually no time in the middle of their innings and England also had a similar problem (albeit a couple more wickets over a longer period).

I mean in general, rather than this match. 

• Like 1

Apart from Bell and Moeen, I don't think they can be accused of giving their wicket away and even then it wasn't as though they were out driving at wide ones - Bell was trying to withdraw (that's always a tricky maneouvre ;) ).

I think it's quite interesting that India lost 4 wickets in the space of virtually no time in the middle of their innings and England also had a similar problem (albeit a couple more wickets over a longer period).

I mean in general, rather than this match. 

Ah, fair enough. :thumb:

I think India bowled much better than we did (see the 'third man' stats about bowling at the stumps). That isn't to say that our performance wasn't sub standard - it was - but it isn't quite the calamitous collapse that people were making out (though again the 'stats' suggest collapsing is something that really needs to be addressed and sorted out).

Sure the problem of collapses and iffy bowling started before his time, but it really needed someone with more test experience to re-set the mentality and introduce rigour to the players and the plans. He's just not cut out for international coaching IMO. Yet another gobbledegook merchant.

Boycott was talking about the fact that a lot of the back room staff have no experience of international cricket.

Its a bit too soon to say that.... Moores has limited experience at international level but he is a very well respected coach. He was the man that built the dynasty of Sussex. A small county who had won nothing until he came around. Then he coached  Lancashire to their first title in about 50 years. Don't judge him too quickly. This is a new team and its going to take time. 

Boycott was talking about the fact that a lot of the back room staff have no experience of international cricket.

I wouldn't disagree. I think it goes deeper (as you suggest) but it doesn't look like he was the right choice (as a lot of people said in this thread at the time). How long did he last first time around?

He didn't last because of Pieterson. This is a new era post Pieterson and its going to take time.... We are still in the very early days of the Indian series. Cricket is a funny game... things can turn around very quickly.

Edited by PaulC

Moores is not a very good international coach. His record against the top test sides stands as follows-

W   D   L

South Africa           1    1   2

Sri Lanka               0    3   2

India                       0   3   2

Not including this test match. The match he won against South Africa was a dead rubber so I wouldn't take much from that 

On a separate note, what a night for Warwickshire. Apart from Wright's appalling bowling, Chopra played a great innings and a win over the Pears.  :D

.... Moores has limited experience at international level but he is a very well respected coach. He was the man that built the dynasty of Sussex. A small county who had won nothing until he came around. Then he coached  Lancashire to their first title in about 50 years. Don't judge him too quickly. This is a new team and its going to take time.

the year after they won it they were relegated. I think he's a decent county coach, but no more. It may be harsh, but he has no charisma, no zest, no x-factor and no experience of playing test cricket. He's like a middle manager at an insurance company. That's how he comes across, and as much as I agree with Strauss on KP, I suspect that KP was right about Moores.
  • Like 2

Fair play to Jimmy & Root today, they've dragged us back into this! Take a bow lads, it's been great to watch.

They have done brilliant between them. At moment of typing we trail by 24. The performance of these 2 in bat shouldn't paper over the cracks of another very average batting performance by many players.

papers over a useless pitch too, but nevermind, very much enjoying this so far. Momentum shift again. Draw now utterly nailed on. Though if we manage to get a first innings lead... :lol:

.... Moores has limited experience at international level but he is a very well respected coach. He was the man that built the dynasty of Sussex. A small county who had won nothing until he came around. Then he coached  Lancashire to their first title in about 50 years. Don't judge him too quickly. This is a new team and its going to take time.

the year after they won it they were relegated. I think he's a decent county coach, but no more. It may be harsh, but he has no charisma, no zest, no x-factor and no experience of playing test cricket. He's like a middle manager at an insurance company. That's how he comes across, and as much as I agree with Strauss on KP, I suspect that KP was right about Moores.

A bit better than a decent county coach.  To do what he did at Sussex and to win a title which such an ordinary group of players at lancs was quite amazing. I don't think it matters that he didn't play test cricket....Neither did Duncan Fletcher.... I think given time he will do a very good job with England.... Who else could they  have gone for anyway... Giles? 

I don't think Lancs had "such an ordinary group of players" personally, but anyway each to their own views. I also think the year they won it they were helped  a lot by the weather and playing on result pitches away from old trafford.

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the batting this morning :)

I don't think Lancs had "such an ordinary group of players" personally, but anyway each to their own views. I also think the year they won it they were helped  a lot by the weather and playing on result pitches away from old trafford.

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the batting this morning :)

Yes Warwickshire would have won it otherwise. They played a lot of games at Liverpool....A world record 10th wicket partnership,,,, This is the wicket for batting records to go....We'll declare after tea  :)

• Like 1

If England are going to progress under Moores we need a new captain. Cook is rubbish, follows the ball and then takes Moeen off after taking his 2nd wicket. How is that going to give him confidence... 

Edited by PaulC

If England are going to progress under Moores we need a new captain. Cook is rubbish, follows the ball and then takes Moeen off after taking his 2nd wicket. How is that going to give him confidence... 

I think that was due to the fact there were two new people at the crease. Get your pacemen in against them to rough them up a bit in the final few overs

Edited by Rodders

Â