Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Might be needing a new phone soon (will be keeping Iphone but need a business phone) what is the HTC Desire like?

Best android based phone for business is....?

I am looking at you CVByrne ;)

Otherwise it will be Blackberry Torch.

The Nexus S has to be a serious contender for reasons previously stated in this thread. Being Google's baby is a huge plus, and ultimately it was more important to me than a dual core processor. Reviews of other dual core phones (LG Optimus 2x, Motorola Atrix) have been less than stellar as the proprietary UI's that manufacturers (and carriers) put on them can **** things up. An unbranded phone is a great thing if you can get hold of one.

If a keyboard is important then how about the Desire Z?

That SGS2 looks fantastic and I'd definitely get one if they open-sourced all the drivers. Trouble is, they won't.

Also, I think the lack of a search button is a mistake. I couldn't get by without mine now.

I bet that SAMOLED 2 looks great though.

Easy. Just grab fastboot from HTC's site http://dl4.htc.com/RomCode/ADP/fastboot.exe

Download a full recovery: http://mirrorbrain.cyanogenmod.com/cm/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

Download a root package and put in on your SD card http://bit.ly/su2361ef

Turn the phone on holding the vol up + power button.

Type fastboot oem unlock on your computer in a command prompt. This unlocks the bootloader.

Type fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img. This flashes a fully-featured recovery image.

Choose to go into recovery on the phone. Choose install zip from SD, and choose the root package you downloaded. This roots the existing Google GRH78 Android install.

After this, if you want to use CyanogenMod or anything else just install rom manager from the market and let it do everything for you. In there you can choose a Cyanogenmod nightly (they're fine) but you will need to let it wipe the data on the first install of a CM rom. Otherwise rooting and clockworkmod recovery are worth doing anyway.

My PC still doesnt detect the phone when its in bootloader mode. It appears to be a driver issue, but I dont know which drivers to update to. Running 64 bit W7.

Darren it has a search button, you just long press the menu key. Search is utterly useless imo though. But each to their own.

I know many are fans of the Nexus S on here and they have their valid reasons why, but given Dodgyknees is an iPhone user he probably isn't that bothered by getting the little bits of vanilla software quicker than others.

The bit of advice I'd like to stress is make up your own mind, you'd be a fool to be swayed into buying a Nexus S just because the guys told you too, just as you'd be foolish just to listen to my opinion of the Galaxy S II.

Read some reviews from sites like techradar and most importantly have a play around with the phones in a shop. I say this as it's then 99% certain you'll pick the SGS2 because once you see the screen :D

Just remember the Nexus S is an old Galaxy S, the one that came out in summer last year, it's just rebranded as pure Google, and has vanilla Android on it.

The Galaxy S2 will be the best phone in the world when it is released, it will have far better battery life, a miles better bigger screen, better camera, far more powerful dual core processor and more ram. Pretty much all the things you want to see improved. Plus the software is supposed to be so slick that it wowed in hands on reviews. So it must be even more responsive than an iPhone 4

I can't wait to get mine. 5 weeks seems an eternity.

Techradar hands on review said it was so fast it wowed them.

The response time of the device is what got us the most excited, as the smoothness and flow of the screen was exquisite. If it sounds like we're going a little over the top, it's because that's the sensation we got when using it, and in today's crowded smartphone market it's nice to see something that's still wow-worthy.

Link

So people who think the SGS2 will have old SGS RFS related lag are about the width of the Pacific wide of the mark.

Samsung tech is unbelievable Jeff. :notworthy:

The Samsung Galaxy S2 represent a serious assault on the high-end phone market from Samsung. The AMOLED Plus screen will likely be simply stunning for watching videos on, the dual-core processor made operating it completely smooth, and it's slimmer than an iPhone 4.

It's pretty large thanks to its 4.3-inch screen, but its got a spec list to melt a techy's heart. This is definitely a device to look out for among all the new mobile phones.

New Techradar Feature on new Phones this year

My galaxy s now runs 2.3.3 gingerbread, and you lot love to give out about samsung and their slow software updates. It's a dream to use, the internet is exceptional. The new version of swype is the standout feature. Really is back to the highest level of sorcery.

Any Desire users on gingerbread yet?

My galaxy s now runs 2.3.3 gingerbread, and you lot love to give out about samsung and their slow software updates. It's a dream to use, the internet is exceptional. The new version of swype is the standout feature. Really is back to the highest level of sorcery.

Any Desire users on gingerbread yet?

Gingerbread is nice isn't it?

The browser is unreal fast. Standout improvement from 2.2 I must say. Samsung have impressed me highly with this version of touchwiz, not even a hint of lag, it's as fast as Darkys 9.5 which is impressive.

How do I get the keyboard back to the way it was in 2.2, I don't want the microphone or language change icons. Is 2.3.3 the version of gingerbread you are running on the nexus?

Â