Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

My point when raised PB was to try and assure people that these things take time hence the current silence. Also as the club is a PLC there are as you know many rules from the stock exchange re takeovers and making public comments etc. OK in the grand scheme of public companies Villa is not very big but its still a big transaction to buy this business. I guess that is what I was getting at. Good lord its like being on the money programme being on here! :):)

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can they not get to a point though and announce it, say Lerner is the who is going to take over can they not decide that and then do all the 'boring' stuff after the fact?

Or not that easy?

My point when raised PB was to try and assure people that these things take time hence the current silence. Also as the club is a PLC there are as you know many rules from the stock exchange re takeovers and making public comments etc. OK in the grand scheme of public companies Villa is not very big but its still a big transaction to buy this business. I guess that is what I was getting at. Good lord its like being on the money programme being on here! :):)

I remember the half hour special well :winkold:

Can they not get to a point though and announce it, say Lerner is the who is going to take over can they not decide that and then do all the 'boring' stuff after the fact?

Or not that easy?

Taken from my earlier post:

If the offer to accept is then about to be notified to the board - that is when there has to be an announcement - and that is irrespective of the attitude of the board to the offer.

This comes from a friend who is a coporate barrister, who basically was trying to say that once a bid is decided as being of interest to the club, can meet the requirements set down by the club, and is recommended as being accepted (likely from Rothschilds) then you get an announcement.

Until then they cannot - by law - allow anyone else to know what is happening except those who are on a strict need to know basis.

Its just the way LSE rules work to stop unfair trading going on and we have to be patient and hope that they are well into the bidding process (which I also believe they are).

The trees, I would think anything between 2 and 4 weeks depending on how smooth it goes.

So if we assume that the week spent here early in July was Lerner and associates talking to Rothschilds and evaluating targets, eventually deciding on the Villa.

That the visit of mid-July was a firming up of the interest and a first meeting with Ellis, a point in which the due diligence may have started (?)

Then 10 days later the infamous visit to the club, with all the negative press that followed.

Finally the visit on the day of MON's appointment, presumably to reassure MON that things were still very much on.

It's the visit to VP that I can't work out. Despite the fact that the press reported that RL went off in a huff, he did have important high profile business of the Browns to attend to, so it's likely that he was always going back to the US when he did anyway.

Did he come to sign some form of letter of intent, or was that the point where the due diligence started?

Either way, next week does seem to be the week of RL's official bid.

He's going to be at the Reading game folks, and I am going to miss it! (Don't feel sorry, my toes will be in a warm sea)

Or am I completely confused? :?

Would love that to be the case and could happen if things have been agreed as Niall Quinn was in the directors box for Sunderland matches at the end of last season before the takeover had been agreed.

its safe to assume, although I'm now sure to be corrected that Lerner came to do business with Ellis as he sees business should be done.

Ellis didn't see it the same way and upset Lerner with his comments, so much he walked out and away not best pleased. Two of us on here can confirm that from sure sources.

Since then there has been huge speculation and some spin suggesting things have been patched up and Lerner is back and remains the choice project.

Add in the recent spin about what was said at the meeting and the reason for the understanding, laughable when you know the truth, but still positive spin, its fair to assume Lerner is more than possible.

However, and its a big pause here, there's a long way to go ladies and gentleman before its on the pitch in the shirt, although Ellis will be all but gone by next weekend, if indications are true and so far they haven't been far out.

Oh and thanks to fortereliable for his comments, its another good indication of how things are going when such are kind enough to break cover and join us more humble folk :)

Keyboard warriors we may be but more and more influential we become the stronger we are, lets hope it continues once Doug has departed.

. Two of us on here can confirm that from sure sources.

My opinion remains as it was the other day, that unless you had a first hand view of proceedings, then any account you recieved of that meeting is likely to be, being charitable, one sided.

The account I heard, being frank, is as unlikely (possibly even more unlikely) as the one being spun currently about misunderstandings

Usually in such situations the truth lies somewhere in between. I think it is important to note that alot of the itnerested parties seem to have grasped that actually, we the fans and the keyboard warriors, are actually pretty influential, and are a force that it s better to have onside than not.

I think PB in the general run of things you may be right, but in certain instances, recorded interviews, transcripted meetings, there are exceptions

lets see the transcript then

No?

Quelle surprise

How about the threat to blow it all out into the open?

Ever materialise?

No?

Quelle surprise

I'd agree but it was a threat that gained the end result it required.

Be as sceptic as you like, doesn't do any harm, we know what we know, we believe what we believe, we don't, well I don't, need justification, its only Aston Villa after all

I'd agree but it was a threat that gained the end result it required.

Be as sceptic as you like, doesn't do any harm, we know what we know, we believe what we believe, we don't, well I don't, need justification, its only Aston Villa after all

well malc, I am naturally a sceptic

This doesnt stop me from believing that lerner will be 1000 times better for Villa than ellis and Neville combined, it just makes me the kind of person to raise questions.

329 pages going back to Decemeber 2005. This thread - especially the last 30 pages - makes for fantastic reading. Ok, I've had a few glasses of wine tonight, but there's humour, passion, hope, pride, politics, economics, conspiracy, baiting and irony in here.

Cheers to those "in the know", those who can hold an argument and those who add wit and fun in frustrating and exciting times.

When the big change comes I want this thread to be mounted. Like some kind of crazy football horse...