Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

Taylor, the former manager, would not be drawn on the subject yesterday, except to say that he has been in close contact with O’Neill. Taylor also questioned the credentials of Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns American football franchise. “It concerns me,†he said. “He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?â€

http://tinyurl.com/zmcnz

That's the same crap they said about Glazier taking over ManU. But in that case, it was probably true. Look, the bottom line is that a takeover is a financial investment, I don't care who takes over the club. Neville, or anybody else is about the same thing, MONEY. It's a hypocritical (sp?)argument. :evil: Besides, as an American I take offense to that statement. I truly love football, and by that, I don't mean American.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor, the former manager, would not be drawn on the subject yesterday, except to say that he has been in close contact with O’Neill. Taylor also questioned the credentials of Lerner, the owner of the Cleveland Browns American football franchise. “It concerns me,†he said. “He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?â€

http://tinyurl.com/zmcnz

That's the same crap they said about Glazier taking over ManU. But in that case, it was probably true. Look, the bottom line is that a takeover is a financial investment, I don't care who takes over the club. Neville, or anybody else is about the same thing, MONEY. It's a hypocritical (sp?)argument. :evil:

Cali

No offence mate, but your post is contradictory. Was it either "crap" or "true" what they wrote about Glazier?

I am simply playing devils advocate here. Unlike most, I am not yet convinced who is the best owner for our club and in the absence of any hard information remain sceptical about ALL the potential bidders motives. Bandwagons in favour of one or other worry me!

“He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?â€

What does Graham Taylor know about the situation? Sure he's a former manager who has no contact with the club. I think that people who have no in-depth contact with the club should refrain from making such comments about possible TO participants.

No-one apart from Mr Lerner and possibly Doug Ellis and Rothschilds know the motives of Randy Lerner. Mr Lerner may well have an impressive future plan laid out for the club. Taylor simply doesn't know the man, or the intricate details of the bid.

Makes me soooo mad.

Guest Beaglehole

We all speculate about these bids but none of us have any real knowledge of the detail of them, do we?

Lerner is the fan's favourite as he is the richest. Neville is dismissed a little as it seemed he had to scrape the money together so possibly wouldn't have as much to invest in the team.

I would imagine that little of the nitty gritty will be released to the press.

offered Graham Taylor the chance to return as chairman.

Did we not read somewhere recently that Graham Taylor had turned down a non-executive offer with another club, cant remember who, because he wanted to honour his contract with fivelive? The American team are in the top in world football and are a growing industry, I agree with our American friends, the statement is offensive.

Oh what they said about Glazier is definitely true. But, call me jaded, I think anyone, including Lerner, who's corner I happen to be in, is about the money. That is not to say that anyone who takes over would do a poor job. But to smear Lerner's intentions because he's American kind of gets my panties in a knot. Oops! :shock: I think I said too much.

But to smear Lerner's intentions because he's American kind of gets my panties in a knot. Oops! :shock: I think I said too much.

I'm all ears! Do carry on! :lol:

Well, you know, being from California and all. :lol:

“He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?â€

What does Graham Taylor know about the situation? Sure he's a former manager who has no contact with the club. I think that people who have no in-depth contact with the club should refrain from making such comments about possible TO participants.

No-one apart from Mr Lerner and possibly Doug Ellis and Rothschilds know the motives of Randy Lerner. Mr Lerner may well have an impressive future plan laid out for the club. Taylor simply doesn't know the man, or the intricate details of the bid.

Makes me soooo mad.

Joe, Neither do we know "the intricate details...." and continuing with my "devils advocate" theme, MAYBE JUST MAYBE, GT does indeed know more than we do.

Oh what they said about Glazier is definitely true. But, call me jaded, I think anyone, including Lerner, who's corner I happen to be in, is about the money. That is not to say that anyone who takes over would do a poor job. But to smear Lerner's intentions because he's American kind of gets my panties in a knot. Oops! :shock: I think I said too much.

Cali

I dont think GT is trying to "smear" - he's not that kind of guy.

Facts are Lerner IS "American" and on the face of it doesnt know anything about football/soccer. That of course doesnt mean he cannot do a good job for AVFC, but it would be nince to know what his bigger plans are.

“It concerns me,” he said. “He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?”

Why doesn't he ask him next time he offers to withdraw if his costs are paid by Lerner?

He comes across like a blundering numpty. {edit MN, not GT}

What's Neville's motive for "buying Villa"

What's Lerner's motive?

What are the differences?

I honestly don't think Neville is in any real position here.

Last week he was talking about merging with AV06 - this week its increasing the amount of money on offer and GT as chairman.

What will we get next week from him?

I currently am happy (as much as I can be not knowing all details) that Athole Still and Randy Lerner are both good enough for the club.

It isn't just about the money either. Sure I want to see someone in who has proven financial clout - but also proven business acumen within the sporting or football world. That doesn't for me mean someone who has been involved in the football world or sporting world, but has proven business acumen in that area.

Both Still and Lerner can show that in their own way and possibly Padfields group.

I still though also believe Padfields group is out of the running and are way behind the other 3 we know of and so for me are so off the pace, I don't think they can now catch up. If the reports are correct, other parties (Lerner and Still) have already been in talks for 2 months before this all became public news.

“It concerns me,†he said. “He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?â€

Why doesn't he ask him next time he offers to withdraw if his costs are paid by Lerner?

What's Lerner's motive?

It was GT's quote, not Neville's.

Are we to conclude that Neville's intentions are entirely honorable, ie not about the investment?

I have no idea, but like you said its fairly obvious that they are all in it for the MONEY. I just hope that all the bidders plans are fully scrutinised to ensure that none pose a risk to the long term future of AVFC. Problem is we have to trust a certain someone to ensure this and I will not hold my breath.

Are we to conclude that Neville's intentions are entirely honorable, ie not about the investment?

I have no idea, but like you said its fairly obvious that they are all in it for the MONEY. I just hope that all the bidders plans are fully scrutinised to ensure that none pose a risk to the long term future of AVFC. Problem is we have to trust a certain someone to ensure this and I will not hold my breath.

I'm with you all the way there. :)

“It concerns me,†he said. “He has got the money, but the Americans have a different motive (for buying Villa). What do they know about football?â€

What's Lerner's motive?

Pete

Are you normally susceptible to stories in "The Telegraph"? Do you not question for one moment whether this is true?