Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I sum up Doug Eliss as 'somebody that hears but does not listen' because he is so pre-occupied with hearing himself speak.

I am sorry but there is no sympathy from me. The longer he has gone on, the more it has been him saying "Me, Me, Me".

I fail to see how people on here can gloss over the lies about how much money he has given to managers and then make it sound as though it was his money and not the clubs money or overdraught.

Last but not least, the treatment of past managers. A few have completely failed but others have failed because of him. I am sure there will be one person up there saying " what goes around comes around" ....Tony Barton RIP

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good posts :( I feel for both of you. Just like the poor programme salesman who died earlier. Really deserved to see the takeover completing.

Yeah I was thinking of him as well (used to always get our programs from him) - and also thought of the one real injustice of Ellis's reign - Tony Barton.

I really hope that at the least when this is all finally resolved some sort of memorial to him can be established. If ever there was a need to show our thanks to a man at Villa, it isn't Mr Aston Villa Ellis, but Mr Aston Villa Tony Barton.

Jas - I know mate that somewhere all the great holte enders will be looking down and enjoying this day as well!

There were quite a few Awwww cuddly douggy posts the first time Lerner was over here. Then when SSN reported he'd pulled out it got very nasty very quickly. People just want him gone, and its a way of making it seem more real. The rose tinted posts are understandable, even if they're not based on any kind of reality.

ahhh bollocks!

Ellis not ready to bow out just yet

By Mihir Bose

(Filed: 05/08/2006)

Martin O'Neill's appointment as Aston Villa manager does not mean Doug Ellis' reign is over. A Villa takeover could still be months away and depends on which of the five parties who have expressed an interest in buying the club prove to Rothschild, Villa's City advisers, that they have the money to pay the £64 million that Ellis wants.

Of the five parties who have contacted Rothschild, it would seem only the American, Randy Lerner, has demonstrated that he has the money to complete the deal. I understand that Lerner spoke to O'Neill and can live with Villa giving him a rolling contract for a year.

However, even then negotiations with Ellis proved fraught. I am told that last week, when Lerner, who owns the NFL club Cleveland Browns, flew to meet Ellis, talks did not go well. This was because, with Lerner thinking he was about to buy Villa, Ellis asked him a question which suggested to the American that, even after he had sold, Ellis would like a role at Villa Park, and indeed might like Lerner to work for him.

The next day the American flew home, although his abrupt departure was partly dictated by the fact that Cleveland were about to start pre-season training and he was keen to be there.

Talks have since resumed, but now the Lerner camp need certain reassurances from Villa which will dictate the final price. As for the other possible bidders, the situation is complicated by the fact that there is much more newspaper talk than hard negotiation with Rothschild.

By far the most complicated of the potential bidders is Michael Neville, whose attempt to buy the club last year started the Villa takeover hare running. This is his third attempt to form a consortium, yet I am told he has also approached advisers to Lerner and told them that if they pay his costs, he will withdraw and leave the field clear.

Although a consortium headed by Nicholas Padfield QC has been reported as bidding for the club, I am told no firm offer has been received.

A consortium involving Athole Still, the agent of Sven-Goran Eriksson, has bid, as has an unnamed fifth group.

It would, of course, suit Ellis to have as many bidders as possible to drive up the price. Fifteen month ago he turned down an offer of £35 million from Richard Thompson, the former Queens Park Rangers chairman.

Ellis could argue that, at £64 million, Villa are 12 times cheaper than the £790 million the Glazers paid for Manchester United last summer, a difference that cannot be explained by the relative success of the clubs.

If this suggests the Glazers grossly overpaid, Ellis could argue that Villa are a bargain with a lot of potential for growth, particularly with O'Neill in charge.

How far Lerner and the other potential bidders accept this argument remains to be seen.

Clicky

Indeed it is, and i agree DDID, lots of eggs, on lots of faces. Swines.

I hope so.

Why has this site got 'Randy Lerner' under the face on the top left corner, I've wondered since it was put there.

Any ideas?

Just on Jonathan and not being allowed in to the Press Conference.

JF knew he might not be allowed in, before he went. Sure the TV might have wanted him to be in attendance, so they could then guage his reaction to what went on, but I suspect that he knew that because he has stuck his head above the parapet and fronted up as a representative of some of the fanbase he would not exactly be popular with the current regime at VP (given that almost all the fans want Ellis out).

You could say he was not allowed in because he is not an accredited journalist with any of the invited media organisations, and that's fair enough.

Other people could take the view that he wasn't actually allowed in because he's critical of Doug Elliis and the way the club has been run.

Equally fair enough.

In the end it doesn't matter.

JF wasn't bothered, though he'd have have liked to have been in there, as I guess a lot of fans would, too.

Whether it was the fair application of a policy, slightly officious, or downright wrong, just really, really, doesn't matter at all.

Jonathan spoke well about Villa situation outside the ground, to the camera. The "alternative" view of so many fans got mainstream media airing, as did the "official" view. Now that matters. - BOTH sides of the divide (and it is a divide) got put out.

It didn't used to be like that. It's genuine progress.

People can make their own minds up as to how they percieve the situation at the club, but it's grand that they're presented with differing views to consider, rather than just AVFC "Pravda" (no that's not a type of expensive handbag).

To concentrate on whether he was allowed in or not, or why, is not really relevant to much at all in my book.

The sooner the divide is narrowed between fans and "club", the better.

Today's other, rather more important, events are a big step in the right direction.

Jonathan spoke well about Villa situation outside the ground, to the camera. The "alternative" view of so many fans got mainstream media airing, as did the "official" view. Now that matters. - BOTH sides of the divide (and it is a divide) got put out.

I thought he came across really well on TV and it diluted a lot of the 'doug did good' crap quite nicely.

There was a poster on here who said 'I wish my dad was here to see this' before, and my heart goes out to them, because there are THOUSANDS of Villa fans that would say the same thing. Ellis has cost this club success for many years, and a lot of people are unfortunately not able to see this club prosper without Ellis with their Fathers/Mothers sat next to them.

Doug could have changed that a long time ago, he's cost us for years. I have no sympathy for that man. Thanks for the no debt mate, but it got us nowhere!

And grandfathers too; mine used to tell me about the Villa teams of the 20s-40s, how the war broke up the best Villa team he'd seen, how his father watched the Villa in at the turn of the century and Villa was the family team. I was too young to absorb the meaning of it all but he used to always say he'd never watch the Villa while Ellis was in control, he hated him with a passion, being against everything the club stood for in him mind. The day might soon come when the shadow is lifted but until he has left, Villa will not prosper.

utter toss from the 'graph

No it isn't.

There's actually a fair bit of very accurate, if also very guarded, reporting in the article. Equally, some of it might not be 100%.

Crikey, that sounds v. on the fence, but hey....

utter toss from the 'graph

No it isn't.

There's actually a fair bit of very accurate, if also very guarded, reporting in the article. Equally, some of it might not be 100%.

Crikey, that sounds v. on the fence, but hey....

You may think that Pete, but the title is very misleading and wildly speculative, going against all the little whispers I'm (we're) hearing. After that it tells us very little we didn't already know.

Sloppy journalism IMO, but it does help keep the pressure on, just incase I'm wrong........