Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Villalonga's looking to buy a stake in a club in the Champions League.

In fact, has no-one really stopped to think why, since Abramovich, there have been only three multi-millionaire owners who've put into clubs... there's been Romanov at Hearts (and Hearts were so desperate to take his money because they were about to go to the wall that they didnt ask the questions of Romanov that even Dunfermline did), and there's been Gaydamak at Pompey (who bought half a stake in a non-listed company and has provided adequate investment, but nothing to set the world alight.) There's also been the Glazers, who have invested in Manchester United and transferred a massive amount of debt onto the club in so doing. And then we've got the Champions of Europe, who have been scratching around for new investment for god knows how long. And that, unless we're counting wee Gretna's meteoric rise, is about it. Would Abramovich even have bought Chelsea if they hadnt got that Champions League slot on the last day of the season?

Has anyone thought that maybe getting people to buy football clubs and pour huge sums of money into them with no promise of return maybe isn't as easy at it looks?

Has anyone thought that maybe getting people to buy football clubs and pour huge sums of money into them with no promise of return maybe isn't as easy at it looks?

That would be nice. But, some money would be a change from what has been the case since our chairman came onto the scene, as would some forward thinking that would point the club forwards rather than backwards. But, icklevillan as you suggest there seems to be no knight in shinning armour appearing over the horizon to rescue us.

I happen to think that Neville is looking to put a big sum of money (80m+) in and act as such a knight in shining armour, but I think, unfortunately, he's looking to do it by borrowing off commercial institutions with repayments leveraged against the Comer's assets. The Comers either don't have the liquidity or they don't have the inclination to put large amounts of liquid capital in at this point, and want to repay off club profits. The delay is in convincing the banks that this is a good idea. Not Ellis. IMO.

he is being advised by Rothschild

I'm with Gringo on this, if the Comer deal is on the back burner or worse why are Rothschild not trying to get the cash into B6 rather than Liverplop? Or are we not their most important/attractive investment opportunity and/or their highest priority?

you may not realise this but Villa are a poorly performing lower Premiership club in a half dead city called brum.

Liverpool are the present European cup holders in the top 4 of the Prem with a super team and manager with a vibrant board in a vibrant city.

anwer the question ??

Nope. When buying companies it is an unusual policy to go after those where it is difficult to increase profits. Therefore you buy the club with potential to achieve, not those that have just over achieved.

Oh so we have to wait till the summer

then in the summer we can wait til the end of the summer.

then at the end of the summer, we can wait till november

then at the AGM doug wont have to say anything!!!!

its all BOLL*X

No, cuddly won't be able to say anything because of an ongoing bid situation that he isn't able to discuss for obvious reasons, but it will all become clear in the next few weeks or so, and we'll all go along with it and wait for xmas like naughty little schoolchildren.

Ellis isn't selling.

When Ellis does cough it, Jack 'I do a lot for charidee' Petchey will pick the bones.

Petchey still has midas touch

Geoff Foster, Daily Toss

VETERAN cockney property trader and former car dealer Jack Petchey has the midas touch. He is still making pots of money at the tender age of 81.

He has made himself a small fortune over the years by acquiring strategic stakes in asset-backed companies trading at big discounts to their underlying value via Trefick, his Isle of Man investment vehicle. More often than not he sells at a profit and his band of City followers rub their hands with glee.

He appears to have come up trumps yet again at Bizspace. He owns 23.7% of the provider of flexible managed workspace for small to medium-sized businesses, which yesterday revealed it has received a takeover approach. The shares raced ahead to 98p before closing 7½p higher at 86½p.

Petchey first bought a 4.94% stake at 29½p in October 2003 and last acquired stock last December at around 60p when he increased his shareholding to 23.7% from 17.8%. So he is already making a tasty turn on his investment and stands to make a lot more if rumours of an imminent 100p-plus a share cash bid prove correct.

Workspace (2 ½p dearer at 339p) is tipped as a possible bidder for a company that owns and operates a total of 31 managed centres from Newcastle to Brighton. A private equity player is also believed to be interested.

Petchey also owns 20% of struggling football club Aston Villa, 10p better at 407½p. Whispers from the dug-out suggest that Galway millionaire property developers Luke and Brian Comer are back in bid negotiations with chairman and 38% shareholder Doug Ellis.

Personally think they have got the wrong end of the stick, 2 + 2 = 5 type thinking.

Petchey still has midas touch

Geoff Foster, Daily Toss

VETERAN cockney property trader and former car dealer Jack Petchey has the midas touch. He is still making pots of money at the tender age of 81.

He has made himself a small fortune over the years by acquiring strategic stakes in asset-backed companies trading at big discounts to their underlying value via Trefick, his Isle of Man investment vehicle. More often than not he sells at a profit and his band of City followers rub their hands with glee.

He appears to have come up trumps yet again at Bizspace. He owns 23.7% of the provider of flexible managed workspace for small to medium-sized businesses, which yesterday revealed it has received a takeover approach. The shares raced ahead to 98p before closing 7½p higher at 86½p.

Petchey first bought a 4.94% stake at 29½p in October 2003 and last acquired stock last December at around 60p when he increased his shareholding to 23.7% from 17.8%. So he is already making a tasty turn on his investment and stands to make a lot more if rumours of an imminent 100p-plus a share cash bid prove correct.

Workspace (2 ½p dearer at 339p) is tipped as a possible bidder for a company that owns and operates a total of 31 managed centres from Newcastle to Brighton. A private equity player is also believed to be interested.

Petchey also owns 20% of struggling football club Aston Villa, 10p better at 407½p. Whispers from the dug-out suggest that Galway millionaire property developers Luke and Brian Comer are back in bid negotiations with chairman and 38% shareholder Doug Ellis.

Personally think they have got the wrong end of the stick, 2 + 2 = 5 type thinking.

You may be right but imo its back on again. Here's the scenario:

Ellis: F**k Neville and the Comer Brothers if they think they can get the club for 10 mill less. Stridey boy get Rothchilds in here. We'll stick AVFC on the market and get loads of interest at the asking price.

Three months later....

Stride: Mr Ellis, sir, Ive called Rothchilds on the the hour every hour for the last three months and they still havent come up with a buyer. D-D-Do Y-Y-You think we should call Neville and the Comers Brothers again?

Ellis: Stridey my boy, I'm not getting any younger but I am damned if I'll sell to a couple of itinerant plasters from Galway for less then the asking price!!!!!! Give it a couple more weeks and we'll leak it via someone at the meaning evil that we might be prepared to negotiate!

Galway takeover of Villa will go ahead by May, says brother

BY MARY O'CONNOR

The brother of the two multi-millionaire Glenamaddy men who have been in on-off negotiations for the past six months to buy Midlands soccer club Aston Villa says he believes the € 96 million deal may go ahead this time.

Businessman Billy Comer, the older brother of Luke and Brian, who lives in Shannaugh outside Glenamaddy, was commenting in the wake of media reports that the takeover bid is still on track and that the deal may be signed and sealed by May.

He said negotiations appear to be taking place again between his brothers - who started out working here as plasterers before moving to England in the mid 1980s and who are leading a consortium - and the premiership club which is 132 years old this month.

"I was surprised to hear negotiations were back on. It would be nice if it [the deal] went ahead, I feel it might this time. I'm still hopeful. They might get it for a few million less than before. According to them before, it was 15 million overpriced."

The Comer brothers, who have developed reputations as shrewd investors and whose property company is worth € 1.5bn, are not likely to rush into anything. Reports say they were attracted to the Birmingham club, not for sentimental reasons - they are not fans of the side - but because of the prospect of developing land owned by it within the grounds of Villa Park. While they attend premiership games regularly their real love is gaelic football.

Billy, who won the Lotto jackpot in the mid 1990s and who used to work at the Customs and Excise Office in Galway, says the talks have been going on since October.

"Many people thought it was all off. People are often asking me about it but I wouldn't say anything."

His brothers are remaining tight lipped, too. When approached recently at Cheltenham, in the company of Billy's son Shane (24) who works with them, they declined to comment on the takeover.

"I'm always with them at Cheltenham. This is the first time I missed it for 15 years - I was too busy with the new businesses," says Billy, who is the proprietor of the newly opened "Sabrina's Tandouri (named after his daughter), Comer's Glenview Bar and James Kilkenny's Bookmakers in Glenamaddy.

He says his brothers, who are based in Hertfordshire, would view the deal as a big step and would not rush into it.

"You don't do these things lightly. There is so much involved."

If the takeover goes ahead, it would be great for the region and Ireland as a whole, he says.

"I'd be very happy if it went ahead. It would be great for the west and Ireland that two people from a tiny village could buy a football club."

Dont know if this has been posted on here before? Taken from the Galway Advertiser.

Yeh, snippets were posted last week and the point made that again the comments were coming from the one brother who's not involved (not that Billy was just spinning a yarn to get some free publicity for his new restaurant or anything).

Expressions of interest from Luke and Brian are as commonplace as quotes from Petchey saying he wants to sell up and enjoy a quiet retirement - ie non existent.

Yeh, snippets were posted last week and the point made that again the comments were coming from the one brother who's not involved (not that Billy was just spinning a yarn to get some free publicity for his new restaurant or anything).

Expressions of interest from Luke and Brian are as commonplace as quotes from Petchey saying he wants to sell up and enjoy a quiet retirement - ie non existent.

They haven't exactly issued a denial either, though, as they would probably be expected to if the speculation was completely unwarranted.

Quite true ickle, unless of course the free publicity they're getting from 'being linked' is helpful to them.

The point was that if someone was interested in buying the club, then at some stage during a drawn out 6 months of careful planning, negotiations etc, that they would have by now, come out and proclaimed their love for the fans, the clubs history etc. Or just say something - "I've never heard of this neville chap" for instance. But not one dicky bird from the brothers grimm.

Quite true ickle, unless of course the free publicity they're getting from 'being linked' is helpful to them.

The point was that if someone was interested in buying the club, then at some stage during a drawn out 6 months of careful planning, negotiations etc, that they would have by now, come out and proclaimed their love for the fans, the clubs history etc. Or just say something - "I've never heard of this neville chap" for instance. But not one dicky bird from the brothers grimm.

They're right to say nothing. They're back seat financiers in this situation. Neville is the front man of the bid, he's leading the consortium and he's talking to the press. He's the one who's come out and proclaimed his love for the fans, the clubs history etc.

Their dealings in this matter will be with Ellis and maybe Petchy. But I would imagine that when the deal goes through, their day to day involvement with the club will be minimal. That will be Neville's job.

Anyone want a little wager that Ellis will only go once the new training centre is complete?
bad news is though we are using the same people they have got at Wembley

Anyone want a little wager that Ellis will only go once the new training centre is complete?

well BW that is a £9m 3 year project .....

he stays until then we willl a 1st division club with a half finished training ground.