Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

true Pete but of course the lack of revenue is a direct result of the playing side isn't it ?

no matter how good a cheif exec is there is a limited amount anyone can raise if the playing side is seen as boring and frankly not marketable.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not totally sure I understand some of the negativity towards the Comers. Does anybody really think Ellis will put a fair price on the club "out the traps" or will he be more likely to try to make an unfair premium?

What if the true price is right between the "cheeky" ranson bid and the "wible wobble hatstand" Elies valuation? Aka the alleged offer from the Comers. Corporate lawyers can get a true valuation of a company pretty close in due diligance, even down to the proper "good will" etc. If the Comers have been advised that their offer is top dollar, it would certainly explain the delay, you would also, after a few weeks expect a leak of this type to put pressure on the negotiation.

If I was Petchey I might now be urging the old knacker to get a jog on and do the deal.

To imply the Comers should just get on with it is a bit crazy I reckon. If one of us won the Euro millions and had the cash but was advised a fair price was MAX £55m, would you happily hand over £65m to piss pants? I would struggle, and I have a passion for Villa we just can't expect from these type of money men investors.

I think this is very close to shit or bust and quotes from both sides might not be far away. I don't think Ellis will want that type of heat that will come from him being shown to have just been a greedy no business acumen geriatric :bang:

I'll still not renew my ST til that old clearing in the woods has gone.

Your choice mate. Personally I prefer to support the Villa through thick & thin.

As for the takeover - I think there's an awful lot of posturing and attempts to smoke people out going on currently. I wouldn't believe ANYTHING you read in the press until it has concrete quotes from both sides in it.

Exaclty.

And i really wanted to go to the Port Vale game as well. But i refuse to go whilst HE is in charge.

There are so many nasty things i could write.

You can support the Team, and still not support the Board - I thought we were a football club

Why wouldnt the Comer's claim to be £10m short? You don't become self-made billionaires by throwing an extra £10m at something just to save time.

And conversely, you don't become a millionaire by selling things for less than someone is prepared to pay (even if it is over-priced).

Its business. Hard nosed business. Bluff, smokescreens and bluster. And we're caught in the middle. There's no point getting worked up about it. Just sit back and try to enjoy the ride.

Again Dave spot on - the post from Chris has stated at the moment that they are still talking - until Neville/Ellis/Comers state otherwise, as you say all the tak is just bluster.

The simplistic viewpoint is though we have Mr Ellis - a very old man not short of a few bob, who appears to be only interested in making more money for himself. Why? The old thing is still there, he claims to be Mr Aston Villa but where is the evidence? The man should do something that benefits the club, and makes the fans happy - it aint rocket science

This makes sense, but I wonder if it hasn't changed a bit.

By that I mean that, if (no if about it) he has had another medical procedure, albeit one we are told was, you know, nothing much, nothing malignant...well, if that was me and I was 82, I would, I suspect, after a major major heart op in the summer, and a recent prostate cancer battle, maybe not be of the same mindset I used to be (in his shoes). It wouldn't be about money, it would be about some self respect - wanting to behave decently, to my own satisfaction.

i.e. maybe if we accept that he is willing, and indeed keen to sell, then it's not so much the price that would be the issue, as a kind of kinship and mutual acceptability in the deal.

Am I selling to the right people? will they (ahem) look after "my" property as "well" as I did?

I might be thinking that completing the deal will happen, as long as "they" behave well. Are they the "right sort" The price - 20 million to me, or 15, is kind of immaterial.

These things, call them foibles, or whatever, will maybe be the crucial ones, from Ellis' viewpoint.

Basically he's in the end game, isn't he. He has some control over matters, but not the power of control he used to have. We all know this.

The board know it to, as do the media.

Thinking about it tonight, I feel more confident, rather than less that the deal will happen. Which isn't perhaps saying much, as I have been very, very, sceptical all along.

To me it depends if he will accept a lower price, and if so how much lower.

Maybe 5.40 would be his aim, now, realistically

Maybe the Comers will be looking at around 4.80 as their ideal price.

Split that, and you have around 5.10, or 56-7 million quid.

We'll see.

can't disagree with a word of that Pete, but is it much simplier, Ellis does not really want to sell but knos for his family and for maxuium value he has to and soon. Isn't all this just a game to force an higher bid from the Comers or ANO ?

can't disagree with a word of that Pete, but is it much simplier, Ellis does not really want to sell but knos for his family and for maxuium value he has to and soon. Isn't all this just a game to force an higher bid from the Comers or ANO ?

You may be right, but I think if it is, it's a forlorn hope, I reckon.

Ranson at 45/6 million was maybe a tad low, but only a tad, and 64 is too high, he's got someone apparently in the right region, price wise, he's got "other issues", apparently. He's not daft.

Basically he's in the end game, isn't he. He has some control over matters, but not the power of control he used to have. We all know this.

I am not too sure how true this is to be honest.

Can you seriously see Ellis without Aston Villa, and with that I mean being the chief, the head guy, the Don of Aston Villa?

The change in status alone would kill him.

I shouldn't bet against him clinging on for as long as he can - and it isn't really clinging as his power, or exertion of power, hasn't really diminshed at all. The last time I looked he was still the chairman, largest single shareholder and dominant force.

He will want it to be that way for as long as possible.

That, I would wager, is worth more to him than any kind of money

I am not too sure how true this is to be honest.

Can you seriously see Ellis without Aston Villa, and with that I mean being the chief, the head guy, the Don of Aston Villa?

The change in status alone would kill him.

I shouldn't bet against him clinging on for as long as he can - and it isn't really clinging as his power, or exertion of power, hasn't really diminshed at all. The last time I looked he was still the chairman, largest single shareholder and dominant force.

He will want it to be that way for as long as possible.

That, I would wager, is worth more to him than any kind of money

turn it all around, Gareth - i.e. Can you seriously see Aston Villa without Ellis...etc.

Maybe, that's the mindset he's in?

he's 82 and suffering from the passages of time and ill-health

Maybe that's how he looks at it? And the rest follows....

I see a Villa without Ellis I just hope that what I see matches up to the expectations.

No expectations from me, just hope and anticipation, emotions I havent felt with Villa for 11 years.

Didn't say that they were my expectations :winkold:

Surely life without ellis can't be worse? Aside from the Leeds reference he keeps making most other clubs of our size do alright, it was only because risdale overspent that caused the problem. They say grass is not always greener on the other side, but in our case we have to see that for ourselves because IMO a large amount of Villa fans are disillusioned by the state of the club. So if the grass isn't greener then in hindsight we may reflect on Ellis being wise but if as we feel that it is greener then at least better times ahead. The club just seems to be in a coma at the moment, living, surviving, nothing happening waiting to get worse and die off or something to save us. I have no expectations of the future for the Villa, just want some life back in the Villa to be honest.

At this moment, I just want to be proud of my team (not talking of winning trophies or CL football) just to walk away from Villa Park or see them in highlights and be proud that they are my team. I'll live and die a Villa fan, I'm not expecting the world just would like to be proud of them..........

At this moment, I just want to be proud of my team (not talking of winning trophies or CL football) just to walk away from Villa Park or see them in highlights and be proud that they are my team. I'll live and die a Villa fan, I'm not expecting the world just would like to be proud of them..........

Agree 100%.

Although I'd take a few trophies and CL football as well. 8)