The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Wow Richard Towers just got vaporised. Now I always felt he was overrated but he looked awful tonight.

It's appalling that the modern British heavyweight seems to (1) have no inside fighting ability and (2) a glass jaw. Shocking.

Looking forward to Golovkin vs Stevens later. Golovkin should, and I hope, brutalise Stevens but Stevens has legit. KO power, so definitely worth a watch.

Sorry but groves declaring he is going to knock out froch is laughable.

Groves is average at best and will probably get schooled by froch, that's what I'm hoping anyway, groves doesn't deserve this fast track to the title as far as I'm concerned, regardless of what you think of froch he has been mixing it with the elite level for the last 6-7 years, groves best win is a robbery on the cards vs degale

Groves has power

He will always have a punchers chance

Ruling him out would be stupid i will be laughing all the way to the bookies the day after mark my words :)

i might be slightly biased but ever since seeing him upset the odds in the degale fight i have become a big fan

Edited by AshVilla

Curtis Stevens' face after GGG dropped him in round two LOL

Oe6tYvb1FxA.jpg

Stevens actually gave him a lot of problems at times, he backed up Golovkin and had him wary of his power. Stevens' tight guard and 'crouching' style meant GGG wasn't able to work the body like he usually does and wasn't as accurate. Stevens went full on Joshua Clotty after round two.

Still I liked Golovkin's patience and boxing, he showed he has a very good chin and he ended up beating the shit out of Stevens in round 8 and the stoppage was a good one.

I think Golovkin will clean up middleweight and would run through all top 154lbers' but I'm less convinced about his ability to fight at 168lbs after tonight. If you can back Golovkin up consistently, something a fully fledged 168lber could do the extra size and power, Golovkin is a lot less effective.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I think this is a good performance from Golovkin so far, Stevens has had his ear muffs on since round 3 (I'm up to round 5 at the moment) GGG is being patient and working well, not as accurate as normal but he has took a could of big punches with no problem at all.

ggg1_medium.gif

LOLZ

I was at the show last night what do you guys think of tommy coyle.

He has really come on since Jamie Moore became his trainer

I think he's quite good, he was putting an absolute clinic on against Derry Matthews before he got caught with an enormous shot that pretty much ended it. He's quite talented and he's now probably in line for a shot at the IBF title at some point since he holds one of their many 'interim' titles.

The lightweight division isn't very strong so there's always a chance of winning a title. The issue is that the current IBF champ Vazquez is very very difficult to beat because of his 'jab and continual move' style that would give anyone in the division hell, including Adrian Broner if he still wants to fight there.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Last night the Golovkin undercard had a heavyweight fight between the talented Mike Perez and Magomed Abdusalamov. It was one of the best heavyweight fights I've seen in years, I'd implore anyone to watch it, it was fantastic. Sadly Abdusalamov is in a 'self-induced' a coma due to the injuries sustained in the fight, which include a broken left hand, a broken nose and a small blood clot on the brain. I really hope he recovers, the guy is a warrior.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Age isn't really an inherent advantage is it, it's all about miles on the clock which is a combination of the number of fights you have fought, the number of rounds you have fought and, most importantly, the punishment you have accumulated.

HBO has kind of gone down the toilet in recent years. Lampley has pissed me off for as long as I can remember, Kellerman has always been a shyster there because of his connections. They are undoubtedly passionate about the sport and Lampley at least has his moments, but really HBO are losing to Showtime from a production standpoint. Al Bernstein is much better than Kellerman and I'm sad to say but Paulie is much better than Roy Jones and Andre Ward. Roy used to be great but he has really lost it over the last couple of years, I still like listening to him but it's clear that his continuation of his boxer career has had an effect on his thinking.

Ward is just boring, HBO are trying to do what they did with Roy Jones years ago by making Ward a commentator in order to raise his profile considerably on their network, but Ward is just too dull and generally lacking in insight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

http://youtu.be/v8DPb_seEVE

Tony Bellew in talking bollocks shocker.  He's unbeaten, Adonis Stevenson is a journeymen.  He says he is better than Darnell Boone (who knocked Stevenson out, but has since been knocked out by Stevenson) so he will win.   I can't see it myself, I think Stevenson is probably at his peak right now and will knock Bellew out. 

http://youtu.be/v8DPb_seEVE

Tony Bellew in talking bollocks shocker. He's unbeaten, Adonis Stevenson is a journeymen. He says he is better than Darnell Boone (who knocked Stevenson out, but has since been knocked out by Stevenson) so he will win. I can't see it myself, I think Stevenson is probably at his peak right now and will knock Bellew out.

Cant stand that bellew clearing in the woods but at least he has a personality unlike most of the British fighters.

He was lucky to get a shot against cleverly. It was a close fight, much closer then expected but I had cleverly winning. I have a feeling bellew will use his boring negative tactics he has used in his last few fights. Either way adonis will win hopefully by KO.

Nonito donaire is back in action this weekend. Cant wait. Love watching this guy

Adnois Stevenson is a disgusting animal, a pathetic excuse for a human being, it's very sad that honest boxers like Abdusalamov are now on life support due to injuries sustained in a recent bout but Stevenson gets to keep on having a career in this sport.

I'll definitely be rooting for Bellew, even though I don't really like him. I think Bellew's best chance is to be cagey, jab and move a lot. If he goes to exchange he'll get knocked out.

Donaire fighting Darchynian again, pretty pointless fight but I guess Nonito needs a tune up and Darch is still a reasonable name. I can't wait to see Rigondeaux back in action again, he put a clinic on against Donaire.

Adnois Stevenson is a disgusting animal, a pathetic excuse for a human being, it's very sad that honest boxers like Abdusalamov are now on life support due to injuries sustained in a recent bout but Stevenson gets to keep on having a career in this sport.

I'll definitely be rooting for Bellew, even though I don't really like him. I think Bellew's best chance is to be cagey, jab and move a lot. If he goes to exchange he'll get knocked out.

Donaire fighting Darchynian again, pretty pointless fight but I guess Nonito needs a tune up and Darch is still a reasonable name. I can't wait to see Rigondeaux back in action again, he put a clinic on against Donaire.

Whats so bad about adonis?! Was he a pimp or something im sure I read?!

Agree rigondeaux would destroy donaire again but man he is awful to watch. Most boring world class fighter I've ever seen. Despite the fact he is one of the pound for pound world best he cant get a fight because he is that dull no tv station will show him. F uck rigondeaux with his horrible style...incredibly brilliant though lol

He served some jail time in the late 90s for pimping and whoring.  Having never met the bloke or seen the details of his trial I'd like to think he has turned his life around through boxing. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he isn't rehabilitated, but I wish the bloke no ill. 

There's many accounts online of the things he used to do with his 'whores', pretty sickening, I don't care if he's rehabilitated or not, I hope to see him receive an awfully brutal beating.

I love to watch Rigondeaux box, he's the best technician in the sport today, I love his style. Donaire is a little bit overrated, I guess he's exciting if you match him against the right opponent. Darchinyan is aggressive and loves to come forward so it's primed for another spectacular Donaire KO.

Â