The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Froch didn't turn pro until he was 25 so he is a "young" 36 year old on that count, though he has had some pretty epic battles with some of the very best fighters in the world over the last four years.  The thing is, he has looked fantastic for the most part, he is certainly a much better fighter today than he was at 30 which I guess is the age where most athletes (who don't rely on pace at least) are supposed to peak.   I think his fight against Groves will be an extremely one sided affair, I'm not sure about a clean knockout because Froch isn't a one punch finisher but I think the ref will jump in and stop it during the middle rounds. 

Froch didn't turn pro until he was 25 so he is a "young" 36 year old on that count, though he has had some pretty epic battles with some of the very best fighters in the world over the last four years. The thing is, he has looked fantastic for the most part, he is certainly a much better fighter today than he was at 30 which I guess is the age where most athletes (who don't rely on pace at least) are supposed to peak. I think his fight against Groves will be an extremely one sided affair, I'm not sure about a clean knockout because Froch isn't a one punch finisher but I think the ref will jump in and stop it during the middle rounds.

No one thought groves had a chance against degale but booth worked on a strategy and it worked. I give groves more of a chance then a clearly past it kessler.

Thing with groves he is still unproven. Other then degale he fought no one of note. Glen Johnson was washed up many years ago

Edited by donnie

I wouldn't say nobody thought Groves had a chance against DeGale, it was probably 60/40 in DeGale's favour but a lot of people were backing Groves in that fight.   Froch is also leagues ahead of James DeGale. 

I'm not sure Kessler is past it either. He put in a very good performance against Froch in my opinion. I don't think Kessler is the fighter he was four or five years ago but he doesn't look shot to me. I think Kessler beats Groves at the moment. 

Do you think Groves will win then?   

I wouldn't say nobody thought Groves had a chance against DeGale, it was probably 60/40 in DeGale's favour but a lot of people were backing Groves in that fight. Froch is also leagues ahead of James DeGale.

I'm not sure Kessler is past it either. He put in a very good performance against Froch in my opinion. I don't think Kessler is the fighter he was four or five years ago but he doesn't look shot to me. I think Kessler beats Groves at the moment.

Nah think froch will win and reckon your right we will wear him down and stop him in the later rounds. However other then ward, who froch will never ever ever beat, I give groves the best chance of an upset.

Disagree on kessler though, fight was hyped to the max by sky. It wasn't a close fight really. Kessler peaked at froch 1 then has looked poor since other then against a limited magee. Groves would beat kessler, I know it's a sparring story but hear he tore kessler apart in sparring.

Who you got for Mayweather v canelo?? Mayweather all the way for me

I wouldn't say nobody thought Groves had a chance against DeGale, it was probably 60/40 in DeGale's favour but a lot of people were backing Groves in that fight. Froch is also leagues ahead of James DeGale.

By the way on the topic of no one giving groves a chance against degale in boxing monthly they asked 25 boxers, trainers, promoters etc who they thought would win. 24 said degale lol

I like to think of myself as a George Groves fan i backed Groves in that fight against DeGale I thought DeGale lost it before he even got in the ring through his pure arrogance he had a post match fight celebration party and everything planned for after the fight before he even won it ffs i remember one of his entourage carrying a suit for the afterparty backstage and everything what a clown. None of the people ringside gave him a shot which i thought was stupid especially in boxing

I think Groves is in with a shot against Froch but as proven before against Kenny Anderson he has a suspect chin and can be knocked down I doubt he can go toe to toe and tear it up with Froch who is a much more durable fighter as proven against Kessler on both occasions. Groves has power himself but if Froch just sits behind his jab like he did impressively in the opening rounds against Kessler he will struggle to get near him

I would like to see Groves fight a couple more decent fighters before Froch I don't think he's ready

Edited by AshVilla

He stopped the fight before completing the count, a typical Warren job this.

Chisora is now the Warren Boxing Order 'international' champ LOL.

Obvious fix, that ref should never be in a ring again. **** Warren and **** box nation, this is why I stream everything they show.

**** box nation?! Best thing that's happened to boxing in a while. Brilliant value for money considering fights we get to see from abroad and the upcoming cards.

No way was it a screw job. Scott didn't want none of it simple as that. No heart.

What is pissing me off is fast car Eddie Hearn claiming Scott quiqq is fighting for a world title. Bullshit is it. Rigo is the champion of the organisations belt he is fighting for, so unless he is fighting Rigo then it's bullshit.

I think that Box nation has terrible production value and it's cards absolutely suck, I'd rather stream HBO or Showtime any day of the week and I don't care for Warren's fighters.

The basic fact is that Scott beat the 10 count so the fight shouldn't have been stopped, he was clearly lucid and on steady legs, no excuses.

In terms of Fat Boy Hearn, well Quigg might well fight for a title but as you say, Rigo is the lineal champ at the weight, the rest are paper champions. The current WBC champion is tied up right now so that leaves the IBF champ Romero who is not very good at all, in fact despite being a champion he'd barely make a top ten list of super bantamweights.

By the way on the topic of no one giving groves a chance against degale in boxing monthly they asked 25 boxers, trainers, promoters etc who they thought would win. 24 said degale lol

I don't think Groves even won that fight to be fair, despite the result.

I expect Groves and the 'master tactician' to turn up and try and run from Froch the entire night. The difference being Froch is an elite level pressure fighter when he chooses to be, Groves won't be able to run all night, he'll get ground down and stopped. Groves basically has a punchers chance at best with his power. Let's not forget he has beaten 17 bums and a shot to shit Glen Johnson, the step up in class will be too much.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He stopped the fight before completing the count, a typical Warren job this.

Chisora is now the Warren Boxing Order 'international' champ LOL.

Obvious fix, that ref should never be in a ring again. **** Warren and **** box nation, this is why I stream everything they show.

**** box nation?! Best thing that's happened to boxing in a while. Brilliant value for money considering fights we get to see from abroad and the upcoming cards.

No way was it a screw job. Scott didn't want none of it simple as that. No heart.

What is pissing me off is fast car Eddie Hearn claiming Scott quiqq is fighting for a world title. Bullshit is it. Rigo is the champion of the organisations belt he is fighting for, so unless he is fighting Rigo then it's bullshit.

I think that Box nation has terrible production value and it's cards absolutely suck, I'd rather stream HBO or Showtime any day of the week and I don't care for Warren's fighters.

The basic fact is that Scott beat the 10 count so the fight shouldn't have been stopped, he was clearly lucid and on steady legs, no excuses.

In terms of Fat Boy Hearn, well Quigg might well fight for a title but as you say, Rigo is the lineal champ at the weight, the rest are paper champions. The current WBC champion is tied up right now so that leaves the IBF champ Romero who is not very good at all, in fact despite being a champion he'd barely make a top ten list of super bantamweights.

Its called a 'standing 8 count' for a reason, the fighter is expected to have stood up within those 8 seconds after that it's up to the ref to see if he is okay to continue. Scott was correctly stopped even if he wasn't hurt. Like dave coldwell said he didn't seem bothered it was stopped it was his corner making the fuss.

Agree about the poor box nation productions and there UK output is poor. However there American cards are fantastic, I mean the Mayweather card is worth the months subscription alone. Also they are going HD this year so it will improve especially with Hattons stable and Frampton on board.

Looks nailed on that Frankie gavin will switch to match room after his fight in September which is a huge blow for fisheyes warren

It wasn't a standing 8 count! LOL! He took a knee, therefore touching the canvas (you don't administer a standing 8 if the boxer touches down) and the ref got to 9 so how on earth was it a standing 8?

In terms of Box Nation's coverage of US matches, well they aren't Box Nation cards are they, they buy it in from HBO or Showtime and I'd much rather watch the HBO/Showtime coverage than see Steve Cunce sitting on a leather sofa so personally I choose to stream it, I'd rather hear Roy Jones commentating than that Welsh clearing in the woods they usually get in, or Paul Smith lol.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

It wasn't a standing 8 count! LOL! He took a knee, therefore touching the canvas (you don't administer a standing 8 if the boxer touches down) and the ref got to 9 so how on earth was it a standing 8?

In terms of Box Nation's coverage of US matches, well they aren't Box Nation cards are they, they buy it in from HBO or Showtime and I'd much rather watch the HBO/Showtime coverage than see Steve Cunce sitting on a leather sofa so personally I choose to stream it, I'd rather hear Roy Jones commentating than that Welsh clearing in the woods they usually get in, or Paul Smith lol.

Lol It may be called a standing 8 count but it doesn't mean the boxer has to be standing for the count. It's up to the ref to decide if the boxer can continue. The fact he wasn't up by the count of 8 suggests he didn't...

If it was a standing 8 count (as in, you count to 8), why did the ref count to 9? The fact is it wasn't a standing 8 count and besides, if you go down, and both of Scott's knees were on the canvas, you do not give a standing 8. It's ultra rare to give a standing 8 to someone who is floored, usually it is given to someone who is receiving a beat down but is still on his feet, but even then, it is a rarity nowadays.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

It's pretty much dead and some state athletic commissions in the US have eliminated it outright. I'm not sure whether it has been eliminated in the UK and some sanctioning bodies probably still allow it, it wouldn't surprise me if a two-bit body like the WBO still has it.

That said what was given to Scott was not a standing 8 anyway.

I think Froch will destroy Groves the same way he took Bute apart. In my eyes DeGeale beat Groves. Groves will back foot box but will eventually get blown away. Groves cant fight like Andre Ward, far from it.

• Like 1

Wasn't David Price given a standing 8 a few weeks back?

He might have been, but it depends on who's rules they are using. In not entirely sure how it works, but the BBBoC will have rules for the fights they sanction in the UK, and then the WBC, WBC, IBF or whoever will also have rules. Things the three knockdowns in a round or standing eight counts vary between organisations.

I think it is a great fight for Groves, pretty much a win win situation for him

He is still young and if he does get beat by Froch he would be really unlucky to slip many places down the rankings and it could be a massive learning curve for him, he is definitely young enough to bounce back from a defeat so it wouldn't be the end of the world, I mean there is no shame in getting beat by Froch at the moment.

If he wins then...well he wins doesn't he.

Unless Froch absolutely destroys him and makes him look like a complete mug then I think it will be a good fight for him.

I cant see him winning as Froch has peaked really late in his career (as others have said he didn't turn pro till he was 25) and I just think Froch will have to much for him

Â