World of Warcraft

The_Rev

These are nice. Wikipidia guides to the classes. My ill informed opinions down the side.

Druid (seems to me as being a challenging, but fun and rewarding class to play as)

Hunter (The best soloers on the game? Struggle to get into instances though, percived as being greedy, loot wise. Do fantastic damage.)

Mage (Crowd control, amazing burst damage, ability to create supplies. Fart near one and they will die though.)

Priest (everybodys best friend. Healers, Resurrectors, Face Melters in PvP. Will get attacked first by the other side.)

Rogue (percived as being somewhat cheap and having an easier time in PvP than anyone else, and a total one trick pony. Though im sure Sie and Dan will argue otherwise. Also, there are about 10000000000000 of the little bastards on the game, so they are ten a penny while looking for one in a group.)

Shaman Everyone other than a Shaman will argue that these guys are overpowered. They dont seem to have an achilees heel. Again, like the Rogue, they are overpopulated. And the Alliance hate you as much as we hate Paladins.

Warlocks (more involving to play as than others, and thats just what Blizz say. Micromanagment is the order of the day. Flexable, if not versatile, a million buttons to press, but fantastic fun to play as at high levels. Basically, a damage dealer, who has a few very cool tricks. Can Heal (sort of) and Res (once every 30 mins) Doesnt seem to need to spend as much money as anybody else.

Warriors (the more i play, the more i realise that there is a lot more to these guys than meets the eye. Along with the Priest, essential in 5 man runs i think, and they contribute to group situations massively. They can take a hell of a kicking -and they usually do, until they ding 60, get epics, and kick the shit out of everything that moves - and keep on ticking. People will see you as being a bit crap for ages (im guilty) but as the game progresses, i think the warror begins to shine. A late bloomer, but an arse kicker of the highest order.

Paladin - Seem to be as boring as hell to play as (enchant weapon > press attack > repeat until level 60) and are just punchbags for anyone who knows a few magic spells. Shit basically. And on their side. If you see one, kill it please.

They dont seem to have an achilees heel.

Hahahaha, ooh me sides!

All that time I spend feared, sapped, stunned, seduced and sheeped then must be a figment of my imagination!

As soon as a warrior gets into melee range, we're toast. And there's not much we can do except slow them down a bit to prevent that. And our frost shock is diminishing returns, unlike hamstring.

And we have a massive two schools of magic, which makes it easy to shut down our spells. Oh and the spells we do have are by the most mana inefficient of any class, meaning we go OOM rather quickly.

The uninitiated (ie those that have never played a Shaman) say, "You can cast, melee and heal"

Well yes, but without points in the right talent tree, one talent is completely useless, and another is pretty crap. I can heal I suppose, but then you can argue that Mages and Locks can melee. After a battle, I bandage myself, don't even know why the heal buttons are on my toolbar!

Surely 90% of winning a battle is down to the player. One thing though, I never have, and can't imagine that I ever will, beat a shadow priest in one on one.

All that time I spend feared, sapped, stunned, seduced and sheeped then must be a figment of my imagination!

As soon as a warrior gets into melee range, we're toast. And there's not much we can do except slow them down a bit to prevent that. And our frost shock is diminishing returns, unlike hamstring.

Yes, but things like that happen to everybody.

I still cant see any real weakness that is Shaman specific.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease stop this. This argument has happened about 8 times in this thread. At the moment its hunters that I hate, because if they frost me and get back far enough, then theres nothing I can do at a distance. Shaman think they can melee, so I don't mind getting one-on-one with them as much (contrary to any drunken rants I have made)

Yes, but things like that happen to everybody.

I still cant see any real weakness that is Shaman specific.

Can't think of another class that can't root anybody, which is a big part of kiting, surely. It's all about individual playing skill. If I get into melee distance with a mage or lock, then most imes I win. If they keep me at bay, then they win, simple.

There are so many ways you can say different classes are overpowered. take rogues. They can get the jump on you every time, (surely the most important part of PvP) and can disappear if things go badly. How is that not overpowered?

Or hunters, they wear mail, can shadow meld and aim shot, not to mention traps and quick/highly armoured pets.

You can say similar about most classes. We're a balanced class, that does as badly/well against other classes as anyone else.

Actually I agree with Dan, a good hunter of a similar level is almost impossible to kill, and if you wander into a trap it's game over, every time. There's so much to the game, and so many scenarios where different classes' strengths come out that to write off one character as "over powered" is a tad simplistic. Take the hunter, great at soloing, great in one v one PvP, but probably the last class to be invited to an instance.

take rogues. They can get the jump on you every time, (surely the most important part of PvP) and can disappear if things go badly. How is that not overpowered?

If our Ambush doesn't crit, its not much of a "jump", if someone sees us first, don't forget, we only wear leather, we're more or less clothies, so we're gonna be in trouble and vanish doesn't work if we've been set on fire, or dotted.......

Choose a good username, not like your one on here, something cool. We all have cool usernames (except TRL) and you're gonna be stuck with it so make sure you like it!

I would advise being a warrior, as between us including Alts we only have 1. You can choose the class though ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tip: Keep in mind that the reason doesn't have to take into account all the facts or even make sense, just pick the "facts" that are relevant to your side of the argument!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

But on a serious note; most, if not all claims of "overpowered class!" boil down to "that class is designed to beat me and I refuse to accept this. Instead, I'll blame a particular talent they have for my defeat, label it "cheap" and never, under any circumstances, acknowledge that it is my ability to play my own class more effectivly that is the issue.

For example, most arguments I see from classes claiming rogues are overpowered are full of holes, lack an understanding of how a rogue plays and I can normally see exactly where they've gone wrong when they describe the fight.

Ultimately, these kinds of arguments fall into the category of "I haven't been playing the game or my class long enough to develop good, strong tactics against other classes".

If WoW has made me realise me one thing, it's that when you think you know your class, you couldn't be more wrong. Anyone not yet level 60 for instance, as much as it might harm their pride, doesn't know their class yet.

So in the interests of class tactics, here is how to **** a rogue over in a fight. Stick a DoT of some kind on him, slow him down and then get some distance. This will completely screw any rogues ability to fight, heal (excluding potions), stealth and/or escape the fight. If you're melee based, use this distance to back off and heal before going back in. Try and stay behind him so he can't gouge and don't stay near him for too long. In and out, in and out will pay off as there is less chance of him blinding you. However, a good rogue will ALWAYS mouse look when fighting making him a slippery bastard so his reaction times will be faster than if you're just using keys to move....and never turn your back on him!

What you said was the point I was trying to make Sie, there are no overpowered classes, just good and bad players.

Don't agree with the point about not knowing your class till L60 though. I accept that there is still much to learn, but a couple of new power ups between where I am now and then isn't going to make much difference, relatively speaking. I know what I'm good at, and what I'm bad at. (Not much, and everything else respectively!)

You wouldn't agree with that as you're not level 60 ;).

But it is indeed true and I'm not just talking about a few extra abilities making the difference. I'm talking discovering new tactics, time spent exploring your own class and others when you fight them, trying out and researching talent builds, new approaches to solving PvP and PvE problems. Even UI redesigns can add improvements. Knowledge is power and in WoW, it makes all this difference. You'll discover a new depth to the game that you didn't even know existsed. Then discover even more depth after that.

Trust me on this Risso, I guarantee that in a couple of months, you'll agree with me on this one.

Lvl 1-60 are the teenage years of any WoW player. And just like real teenagers, it makes them ignorant of just how much they don't know.

Shamen can root Riss. An AOE Root too! Earthbind totem.

Sorry, might be my misunderstanding of terms. I thought root meant to fix to the spot, rather than just slowing down.

Â