Bucharest - Romania

Demitri_C

Suprised there isnt a post on this one! I dont know if thats a good thing 😂

But me and the lads have arranged a random weekender in bucharest. Anyone been got any tips on dos/donts things to do there?

I see they are in EU but have their own currency.  I am hoping this means it might be relatively cheap

Thanking you 🙂

Not been there for a lads do,  but at the risk of getting you lynched by your mates you should pre book a visit to the Ceausescu palace , its well worth a couple of hours of your time , might do everyone some good to have a few hours sober time before the drinking starts 

i did stumble upon a bar area that seemed quite lively, I opted for   a church that had been converted into a restaurant / bar which was quite a novelty …

funnily enough Bucharest has come up as a possibility for our next lads trip so make sure you report back with how it went 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Not been there for a lads do,  but at the risk of getting you lynched by your mates you should pre book a visit to the Ceausescu palace , its well worth a couple of hours of your time , might do everyone some good to have a few hours sober time before the drinking starts 

i did stumble upon a bar area that seemed quite lively, I opted for   a church that had been converted into a restaurant / bar which was quite a novelty …

funnily enough Bucharest has come up as a possibility for our next lads trip so make sure you report back with how it went 

Cheers tone ill check it out. Was looking at going transvelynia but it seems quite far from thw old town

It seems likw thwy havw slowly modernised the place so curious to see what its like. 

Posted (edited)

Went about 10 years ago when it was very cheap. I suspect it is still fairly reasonable. Yes you have to go to the parliament, it has to be seen to be believed. About an eighth of the city centre was demolished and thousands of people moved out. They basically exhausted the entire supply of marble in the country for it. Freetours are quite good- a couple of hours walk around the centre and you pay what you want at the end- though you should give something!  The village museum is worth a look as well. If you want a trip out than Brasov- Brans Castle (along with the dracula tat) and peles castle is a good if long trip out.

In terms of places to eat/drink caru cu bere is  a stunning building to spend a bit of time in.

The metro is good to get around if somewhat utilitarian  unless they have modernised it recently. It was very cheap something like 4 quid for a week's pass.

Edited by The Fun Factory

there's a bar next to the hard rock cafe called Berăria H Herastrau

its genuinely ridiculous in there, not sure how many people it fits but its got to be pushing a few hundred, its a huge place

the 6 hours all day bender i spent in there was probably a bit too much...

i also got the train to Brasov to go see draculas castle, 3.5 hours i think it was, problem being that by the time we got there everyone was a bit peckish, the bar we went for food also happened to sell beer...4 hours later i got the 3.5 hour train back, 7 hour round trip to see 3 bars in brasov

Thanks lads for all the recommendations!

The dracula castle i really wanna go but for 2 nights its going to swallow up alot of our day

Hop hopligans looks good 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks lads for all the recommendations!

The dracula castle i really wanna go but for 2 nights its going to swallow up alot of our day

Hop hopligans looks good 😂

You can do it in a day- there are lots of day trips from Bucharest you can book if you want.  Peles castle is the more impressive one.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

You can do it in a day- there are lots of day trips from Bucharest you can book if you want.  Peles castle is the more impressive one.

Thanks FF ill look into that one

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks FF ill look into that one

Lot of good tips already so not much to add. Maybe check out Berestroika Beer Revolution as an alternative. Owner is of Indian origin and speak good English.

If you're gonna pay for a 'cuddle', don't pick number one on Google. If it ain't got 1000s of reviews, I don' think it's a real late night massage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2024 at 22:49, tonyh29 said:

So i got back last night and I must Bucharest is a hidden gem. Loved it. Dont know why its not one of the more popular places as its very nice.

Tone for you question is this a lads place? Absolutely! What i liked about it was you could do things for a boys trip or as a couple. Its easy to get around. Also the women are absolutely stunning out there. Probably one of the nicest looking cities ive been too.

Id recommend the following  the big thermal spa. Its **** massive.had about 8 different saunas ans huge pools, hot tub etc.  But it gets VERY busy as it can fit about 5000 people. Its great for a day to chill after heavy nights drinking. Also it was very hot. It hit about 33c there so perfect.

The castles good but quite far so be prepared if you want to do that. Also two restaurants we want to that were lovely carc cu bere and manucs inn restaurant.  The latter had the best sausage i have ever tasted. Unbelievable. Also of you like a good night go faces get a nice table and just enjoy it. Classy place and lovelh atmosphere 

The only negatives are even though they have their own currency it isnt as cheap as i thought.  Ubers are cheap but food and drink not so much. Also their driving over there is absolutely horrfic so be wary of that.

I give Bucharest a solid 9/10

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So i got back last night and I must Bucharest is a hidden gem. Loved it. Dont know why its not one of the more popular places as its very nice.

Tone for you question is this a lads place? Absolutely! What i liked about it was you could do things for a boys trip or as a couple. Its easy to get around. Also the women are absolutely stunning out there. Probably one of the nicest looking cities ive been too.

Id recommend the following  the big thermal spa. Its **** massive.had about 8 different saunas ans huge pools, hot tub etc.  But it gets VERY busy as it can fit about 5000 people. Its great for a day to chill after heavy nights drinking. Also it was very hot. It hit about 33c there so perfect.

The castles good but quite far so be prepared if you want to do that. Also two restaurants we want to that were lovely carc cu bere and manucs inn restaurant.  The latter had the best sausage i have ever tasted. Unbelievable. Also of you like a good night go faces get a nice table and just enjoy it. Classy place and lovelh atmosphere 

The only negatives are even though they have their own currency it isnt as cheap as i thought.  Ubers are cheap but food and drink not so much. Also their driving over there is absolutely horrfic so be wary of that.

I give Bucharest a solid 9/10

good to know , thanks

funnily enough we were discussing various options last night for the lads do and flight prices to a lot of the places mid Sept were stupidly expensive .. ( partly as I refuse to give Ryan Air money and partly as we don't want to fly from Luton or Stansted )

but LHR or LGW  the cheapest 2 options were Bucharest and Copenhagen , and I suspect 3 days on the hoy in Copenhagen would require a bank loan , so Bucharest is looking the most likely destination now  .. assuming my suggestion of Greenland and having a beer in the arctic circle gets over ruled :) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

good to know , thanks

funnily enough we were discussing various options last night for the lads do and flight prices to a lot of the places mid Sept were stupidly expensive .. ( partly as I refuse to give Ryan Air money and partly as we don't want to fly from Luton or Stansted )

but LHR or LGW  the cheapest 2 options were Bucharest and Copenhagen , and I suspect 3 days on the hoy in Copenhagen would require a bank loan , so Bucharest is looking the most likely destination now  .. assuming my suggestion of Greenland and having a beer in the arctic circle gets over ruled :) 

If those are the two option its bucharest for me if its a boys thing. I came back from luton yesterday was in and out really quickly just annoying that they still make you walk a while still to get picked up as its closed still becaude of ghe fire last year.

Back to bucharest there are many nice bars that are just walks in with good music and plenty of eye candy to look at.

few scummers Come up to you asking for money you ignore them or say a polite no they just get angry and curse at you 

Hotel we stayed was hilton inn if you have a healthy budget to play with stay there as location is fantastic. Its very safe in the old town but dont bw going up to the north as all drivers were telling us to avoid as its gangsters paradise there.

Also this the thermal spa - make sure you go its very good but just go early as queues get massive

https://europespa.eu/certified-spas/detail/resort/therme-bucuresti/

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

They meant North of the country as not safe then I suppose. The Moldova-region and so on.

Because Sector 5 with the infamous Ferentari area is in the south of Bucharest. 

Two of the placws i was told to strictly avoid were pantelimon and giulesti. Both notorious for violent gang activity 

I didnt have any issues tbh apart from a few aggressive beggers but i had no idea what they were saying so that helped 😂

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Two of the placws i was told to strictly avoid were pantelimon and giulesti. Both notorious for violent gang activity 

I didnt have any issues tbh apart from a few aggressive beggers but i had no idea what they were saying so that helped 😂

Ok I get what they mean. Would avoid them as much as Ferentari. Been several times now without issues. 

Â