Emulators

A good mate of mine pointed me in the direction of a programme called RetroArch the other day. I knew of emulators many years ago, but also found them to be an absolute pain to set up and use. I don't know if they've all moved on but everything seemed so much easier to set up this time (with a bit of Google).

Looks like most platforms are covered, the default mapping to a PS controller has been spot on, and easy enough to change.

Anyone else use any emulators or recommend any classics? I think there's an arcade emulator too, so any classic arcade games would be nice. Thanks all.

I use Mame but it’s a bit of a ball ache getting arcade roms that work fully. Still decent though.

Downloaded Project 64 yesterday and downloaded a load of N64 roms that I obviously own officer, I promise.

So far seems pretty good.

I put retroarch on my snes classic and it’s brilliant.

46 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I use Mame but it’s a bit of a ball ache getting arcade roms that work fully. Still decent though.

Downloaded Project 64 yesterday and downloaded a load of N64 roms that I obviously own officer, I promise.

Assuming you're on PC - How do you map controllers for those games you already own? I think that's my biggest gripe, the controller thing.

Not gonna lie, N64 games, back in the day, they were the best multiplayer games by a **** mile

2 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Assuming you're on PC - How do you map controllers for those games you already own? I think that's my biggest gripe, the controller thing.

Not gonna lie, N64 games, back in the day, they were the best multiplayer games by a **** mile

That’s a bit of a ball ache, but you can map the controller to different keys on your keyboard. There are some PC downloads out there that can let you do that.

Project 64 has a mapping option with it. But I might look for a USB N64 controller.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

That’s a bit of a ball ache, but you can map the controller to different keys on your keyboard. There are some PC downloads out there that can let you do that.

Project 64 has a mapping option with it. But I might look for a USB N64 controller.

Yeah, I've found a couple of usb N64 controllers, I think that might be an answer. My housemate is begging for 4 player Goldeneye sessions (ooer) but if this shit works out, I'm genuinely excited. 

Thanks Spuds lad

• Like 1

I've used Retropie lots as I've got about a bazillion raspberry pis knocking about, Retropie is mostly based on EmulationStation, which is a front end to RetroArch. Not sure if EmulationStation is a thing on PC. I did use HyperSpin for the PC in one of my arcade cabinets.

Retropie was dead easy to set up, all you needed to do was point it at your ROM directories and it would do the rest, including scraping game info.

Posted (edited)

OpenEmu is my Badboy. Works with most system roms, including arcade roms, but you need a few extra bits to play capcom games. But on the whole, it’s a great and it’s library system is nice

Edited by CarryOnVilla

On 03/05/2024 at 18:49, jacketspuds said:

MAME and Project 64, oh man you're taking me back to like 2004. My potato computer could barely run them but it was better than nothing as I didn't have many games as a kid.

• Like 1

Loving all this, thanks fellas. Got Goldeneye working, got two N64 USB controllers landing in the next week or so.

How easy is it to set up a Raspberry Pi emulator? I've never used RP.

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

Loving all this, thanks fellas. Got Goldeneye working, got two N64 USB controllers landing in the next week or so.

How easy is it to set up a Raspberry Pi emulator? I've never used RP.

For Retropie, it's as simple as installing a pre-made image. The tricky part is putting ROMs onto it, as you can't just copy them onto the SD card, you have to use FTP if I'm not wrong.

Posted (edited)

Saw this bumped and got a real urge to play some old PS1 & PS2 titles. Anyone got recommendations for ROMs and emulators?

Edit: nvm on the ROMs, I saw the mod post ;)

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Saw this bumped and got a real urge to play some old PS1 & PS2 titles. Anyone got recommendations for ROMs and emulators?

Edit: nvm on the ROMs, I saw the mod post ;)

There's a huge community out there talking about games, honestly man google it and enjoy 

• Thanks 1

Â