Player Discipline

M_Afro

12 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

Another day, another small advantages gained by manure and spurs players for not getting the same consistency from officials.

This is my issue, it's not that the greedy 6 get any better / worse VAR decisions than any other team, it's the constant low level decisions which shift the balance. 

Dougie gets a 97th min yellow for a foul, probably a yellow card but it's literally the last kick of the game. Maddison clear red wasn't punished at all.

The number of ttimes you see the greedy 6 being allowed to tactically foul with no consequence, compared to other teams is shocking.

I do think we lack discipline though, which is exacerbated by the injuries and gaps over the pitch, which does see Dougie pulling people back repeatedly.

I don't think we're dirty. Now, that Ben Mee though......

• Like 1

On paper we may only have bottled a 2 goal lead twice but the amount of times we allow teams back in the game once it get's "comfortable" is in my opinion way too much.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

This is my issue, it's not that the greedy 6 get any better / worse VAR decisions than any other team, it's the constant low level decisions which shift the balance. 

Dougie gets a 97th min yellow for a foul, probably a yellow card but it's literally the last kick of the game. Maddison clear red wasn't punished at all.

The number of ttimes you see the greedy 6 being allowed to tactically foul with no consequence, compared to other teams is shocking.

I do think we lack discipline though, which is exacerbated by the injuries and gaps over the pitch, which does see Dougie pulling people back repeatedly.

I don't think we're dirty. Now, that Ben Mee though......

Never in a million years....we haven't got it in us.....so something is amiss.

We don't talk to the ref. You never see McGinn, our captain, talking to him at all. Ever.

We also never "crowd the ref" - which honestly is a testament to our character... And yet we have the 3rd worst disciplinary record, unjustly IMO. 

It's an unfortunate fact of the modern game that if you don't put pressure on the ref, you won't get the rub of decisions in your favour. Ridiculous, but that's how it is.

On the other hand regardless of whether we want to box clever with the officials, the team captain should always be asking him to explain/clarify decisions and is entitled to address the referee to point out patterns of poor behaviour from the opponent.

Terry was great at this. Jack didn't do it because he became a target of the refs for his "diving" i.e. drawing fouls so they couldn't take him seriously. I'm not convinced McGinn would be taken seriously either, and maybe he knows it, hence why he doesn't try.

I'll bet a big calm lad like Mings or Torres could get the ref's attention in a positive sense, though... Just saying.

We don't do ourselves any favours with the refs at times but I feel like we have picked up quite a few really unfair bookings. I can't remember a season as bad as this for officiating. It's been horrendous actually.

• Like 1

Â